PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Sports....yes Or No

JETEFAN
05-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Readers, just wanted some imput on opinions regarding what Steiner has done to the game used market. Being a Yankees fan, I remember when finding a good game used Yankees item especially uniforms, was quite a feat and something to be proud of. I want to clearly state that I am in no way saying anything negative about Steiner Sports nor have I had any negative experiences with them. I just want the imput of other Yankees collector's to see if they are as fustrated as I am..."game used", "game issued"...."game issued" today "game used " tomorrow. $25.00, $25,000.00.....:confused: :) :mad: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:. I am quite sure that there are many GOOD Yankees items out there, but because they are lacking the Steiner sticker or letter, people totally stay away from them. Remember the Yanks have been around a little longer than Steiner....at least I think so:rolleyes:

Thanks
George

suave1477
05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Jetefan what is your question your rambling about a bunch of stuff with Steiner but there is no specific question?

Are you asking about them flooding the market with more Yankees Game Used items? If so yes they are BUT the prcies are being charged high enough to where it will still be balanced out. An item you might have gotten years ago you might have paid $500 to $1000 for now will cost you $5000 to $10,000 so even though there might be more you still might not be hat quick to jump on it bcuz of the price.
(What they are doing is no different then what ever other team is doing now) all the temas are flooding the market now with game Used items whether its FanFests, MLB.com, Dealers, Auction Houses. People just like to point out Steiner bcuz they were the first to capitalize on it with the most sought after Team and there prices are a bit higher then most teams

If your askin about the prices? What a lot of people do not realize Steiner is not the sole blame on the prices they are being charged Top Premium dollar from the Yankees which in turn they have to charge higher to turn there profit.

What they ar

Yankwood
05-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, the only way I can answer this is to give my personal experience. It used to be tough to get them even if you were willing to spend the money. Now, if you're willing to spend the money, it's easy to get them. In other words, I didn't use to have a Yankee jersey. Now I have two. I don't know if that's good or bad for you. For me, it's good because I like to collect what I like because I like it and not because I plan to sell it. Resale value doesn't really interest me.

skipcareyisfat
05-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I have no problem with Steiner or their prices. Good for those who can afford some of it. I bought a Yankees piece as well and it was worth every penny. I even photo-matched it to the 2004 ALCS which I was pretty excited about. I watched every game of that series and I can distinctly remember thinking how cool it would be to own something from it. Now I do. I only want to add authenticate pieces to my collection, so the amount of money I'm willing to pay automatically becomes secondary. If it isn't real, why pay anything for it?

suave1477
05-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Thats another thing a blanket of security you get from knowing that it is undoubtedly the real thing coming from steiner.

kna
05-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm new to the forum and have a question regarding a game-used value. Any estimates out there on the value of a game worn (2001) autographed Jimmy Smith Jacksonville Jaguar helemt. I'm donating it to a very good charity and they are looking to place a value on it.
Thanks for any help.

mr.miracle
05-19-2006, 02:23 PM
I would personally suggest starting a new post with that question. Just a thought.

JETEFAN
05-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Let me be more specific, I don't have a problem with the Steiner game used stuff, they can charge whatever they want. It is up to us if we pay or not. My problem is flooding the market with tons of "game issued" crap that we all know, the stickers and the Steiner letters are thrown away, and are passed off as "game used" with letters from (take your pick). This puts a premium on Steiners stuff because you really don't know if anything else, though all the tagging is correct, is actually game used or doctored. Example: Steiner " game issued" Rivera, Jeter, Posada etc. $1000.-$1500. Get the jersey, roll around in the yard for a while...presto!! "game used" jersey $2500. to whatever. I know, I know this could happen and does with anybody, and Steiner is not at fault, but they are supplying the amo!! Did anyone see a recent Steiner show with a visit to their wharehouse!! There is not way in the world there was or still is that much "game issued" stuff in existance. Could the boss be ordering 3-4 sets for each player for game use and a little extra for Brandon????

skipcareyisfat
05-19-2006, 04:11 PM
My problem is flooding the market with tons of "game issued" crap that we all know, the stickers and the Steiner letters are thrown away, and are passed off as "game used" with letters from (take your pick). This puts a premium on Steiners stuff because you really don't know if anything else, though all the tagging is correct, is actually game used or doctored. Example: Steiner " game issued" Rivera, Jeter, Posada etc. $1000.-$1500. Get the jersey, roll around in the yard for a while...presto!! "game used" jersey $2500.

People who roll around their yards are weird. And anyone who would buy a game issued Steiner piece then go to the trouble of removing any link to Steiner are missing the point of why Stiener is able to charge 25K for a Jeter jersey. Do you seriously think an educated collector would be willing to pay anywhere close to that if it doesn't have Steiner documentation? No sir. You want to see what non-Steiner Yankees "game used" star jerseys really go for? Look at Bricol Sports' last couple of auctions.

JimCaravello
05-19-2006, 04:12 PM
My personal opinion is that in a few years - the prices you are seeing for Yankees modern game used jerseys will be ridiculously low compared to where they are today. There is so much new Yankees stuff in the market and eventually the "fad" of owning these pieces will be gone - and the prices that Steiner and other Dealers are reaping on both game used - and issued items will drop dramatically.

Pre 1995 call it Yankees jerseys will always be in high demand ( really pre-90 except for early 90's Mattingly, O'Neill, Bernie, Boggs, etc. pieces ) - and so will some of the new stuff we are seeing now - but only for star players and with legitimate use on the jerseys. You will see people stop buying game issued items - or if they do sell, they will be at prices just slightly higher than store jerseys.

Most people that are buying the new stuff don't care about the resale - they just want a piece in their collection. I have always said - if you buy something, you better want to keep it a long time.

Game used memorabilia values and prices go up and down just like any other collectible - your chances of seeing increases in value and prices is best realized by purchasing and collecting vintage items...... Just my humble opinion......Jim

JETEFAN
05-19-2006, 07:09 PM
People who roll around their yards are weird. And anyone who would buy a game issued Steiner piece then go to the trouble of removing any link to Steiner are missing the point of why Stiener is able to charge 25K for a Jeter jersey. Do you seriously think an educated collector would be willing to pay anywhere close to that if it doesn't have Steiner documentation? No sir. You want to see what non-Steiner Yankees "game used" star jerseys really go for? Look at Bricol Sports' last couple of auctions.

Thank you for making my point, why should anybody's "real" yankees jersey, obtained year's ago B.S. (Before Steiner) be worth any less than Steiner's just because it doesn't have his sticker or letter!!! Could anybody with the same quality and authentic Jeter jersey as Steiner get the same $25K as Steiner? NO, Bricol Sports could be auctioning off the same real stuff, and again no Steiner cert. it's worth peanuts. That's my point, Steiner is not the only one with authentic quality Yankees items!!!!

suave1477
05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Jetefan I think your missing the point though, its not that anybody's stuff sells for cheap its that your gauranteed Steiners stuff is real bcuz it comes directly from the Yankees legitimately with out walking out the back door. Pre-Steiner. Not much Yankees owned items left the stadium unless the player themselves took it off there back and handed it to someone. So it is all based on faith Pre-Steiner that what your holding is real. With a lot of teams you got the Equipment managers walking out the back door with the items and they end up on the market somewhere and the equipment manager will issue an LOA, but not so with Yankees items they were contained security wise very closely. That is why years ago it was more sought after to get your hands on something from the Yankees bcuz it wasnt easy to get a hold of.

I personally deal very closely with Steiner and know how there operation works and have been to the Yankee cage at Steiner and seen all the stuff - Yes there is tons of Game Used and Game Issued items from over the years bcuz none of it made it out till now. Here is the kicker they are still digging up more!!!!

R. C. Walker
05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Just out of curiosity. If Steiner’s has “tons” of game worn items and is still “digging” up more, why is it the majority of jerseys for sale and for auction are game issued or Game #1 Spring Training?

As a side note: Do you think they will ever sell that 1997 Tim Raines jersey?:D

suave1477
05-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Well I would say most likely the reason is in sales you have to constantly keep updating your website of what you have showing to the public, meaning putting up your newest items.

When you see an advertisement from a clothing store do you see them advertising the items from a year ago or the newest ones that just came in?????????

As far as the Tim Raines I cant speak for that lol lol lol:D

indyred
05-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I guess I don't mind Steiner. They are a solid reputable company, although overpriced......I'm all for more certification. Especially with so much stuff being hawked sight unseen on ebay.....If it has steiners holograms and certification you know it's legit.....People will spend more for that and I don't blame them.....

Number9
05-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I generally try to stay out of these type topics, but I have been treated so well by someone at Steiner that I do want to share that. I spent a few days last week in phone discussions with Bob Malandro at Steiner as I sought a particular jersey.
It appears I won't be buying one because the remaining inventory of this particular player doesn't work for me (missing patches, removed tags, or World Series jerseys I can't afford) but I have to say that rarely have I been treated as well by major dealers/auction houses in this baseball hobby as Bob Malandro treated me.
He was flexible in trying to work out a deal, he sent me photos of several jerseys, answered countless questions, was never rude or pushy, and was extremely patient with me.
Again, I did not buy a jersey but I have to say I see Steiner in a much different light after experiencing how cordial Bob was. Yeah, the prices are high but you know what you are getting with them (not a fake like on ebay) and Bob went out of his way to be courteous and helpful. I will not hesitate to deal with them if I can find something that works for me at some point.
The only thing that prevented a deal we would both have been satisfied with is the fact that the stock for this particular player has already been picked over pretty good and none of the remaining jerseys were right for at the financial commitment required. But Bob Malandro was fantastic throughout and a great reflection on Steiner.

Mike

suave1477
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Number9 do you mind if I ask you which player?

Number9
05-23-2006, 06:34 PM
O'Neill.

I am pretty darned picky though. I want one with the O'Neill name tag on front, complete with all tags and patches, and shows good game use. If I am gonna pay a lot, I want it the way I want it. Bob has been fantastic about understanding that though and has tried to come up with ideas but nothing really works perfectly.
There is 2000 road that is close, that I am still considering, but in 2000 they didn't have the name tags on lower front and that is one thing I really like/want.

Mike

BULBUS
05-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Mike, I agree, Bob is great. I have been dealing with him for a few weeks now, and he has hooked me up with a couple of nice items. I had a couple of other reps at Steiner and they were terrible. Never answered my emails or returned my phone calls. Bob is the best though! If you are looking for a particular game used item from Steiner, give BOB MALANDRO a call.