PDA

View Full Version : What's up with some people?

allstarsplus
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
OK, so we are heading into the All Star break and I have 2 Forum members that I have never dealt with before and both seem to be good people, but I am getting an All Star SNUB.

One wanted some items that I had just recently acquired and the other wanted me to purchase an item on their behalf so I laid out about $800 for this person and I am now stuck with this jersey. So i have just about $1,000 sitting out there and not getting a response from either after emailing and trying to nicely reach out to both.

I have had so many great transactions with Forum members so I am not going to let anyone think this is a trend as I believe these are 2 isolated cases. I have obscured their names hoping they make this right.

Here is one email from May 16th:

I would like to buy the Phoenix bat (I'm so happy it's the grundgy one!) and the red batting gloves. But there's a hitch. I woun't even try and get a lower price because I know it may take me 3 weeks to a month to pay for these. Is it possible for you to wait that long? I'll pay sooner if I can, of course.

I've got two big %&*^#*@ purchases to make and one small one and I don't want to let those guys down. I need to pay those deals first.

So let me know what you think. But those are some sweet items you have! I'd take it all if I could ... but mainly I gotta have the beautiful grundgie Phoenix!!!!

Thank you for remembering to email me!
*(^&

Here is one email from June 12th:

Andrew -

If you don't mind securing it for me until I have my funding - just making sure you understand my situation and that it will probably be about a month before I have my funds - I would be more grateful than words can express...

Please check on the 07 as well...
-&%^$

THANK YOU!!!

shoremen44
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Andrew,
Sorry to hear that... I hope they do make it right and everything works out for you.

metsbats
07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I hope these two members would come forward on this thread and address this situation.

This shouldn't have happen to a nicer guy (Andrew of course)

chakes89
07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Looks like they both lost a good resource and friend in the hobby due to a lack of communication

TNTtoys
07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Andrew,

I am not one to name names, but the same exact thing happened to me here too... and I am selling items nowhere near the price of yours.

This buyer committed to buy 3 different items, and their communication was flowing regularly and consistently when they were reserving them. When it came down to making the payment, communication stopped dead. It took me a week of silence to resort to emailing them to find out when the payment is actually coming in. They replied with some nonsense like --

I've changed my mind and won't be taking them anymore. I have just had so many bad deals on this forum that I don't want to enter another deal (this is not a direct quote, but you get the gist).

Now, this person could have spoken up sooner if they were so impelled to cancel a transaction (or three)... but the end result was:
1. this person unfairly lumped me (with a perfect selling reputation of over 10 years) with some idiots that sell frivolously on here and don't deliver
2. I marked 3 different items as being sold when other forum members could have had the chance to buy them. In fact, I even told a few forum members "sorry, the item has already been sold" (when in fact it wasn't).

I hope yours works itself out, but I hope you're not dealing with the same person I dealt with.

Nick

dcrules01
07-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree,times are tough and I know personally Andrew goes beyond the call of duty for members..I can recall many times inquiring about an item and then it showed up on my doorstep.Pretty bold to ask someone to spend there money and then ignore the emails..Step up to the plate..

markize
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Andrew,

very sorry to hear about this mess. I know others have echoed the sentiment, but what a first class connection in the game used business in A.L. I have had several pleasant transactions with him (which you have all seen in my "thank you" threads). For God's sake, the guy sacrificed an awesome piece of Nats memorabilia for me to add to my collection, when it would have fit just as nicely into his. On top of that he has used his connections to get me items at below retail cost, as well as sacrificing his own profit. I could go on forever, but I think you get the point.

To the people who dug a neat little hole for Andrew, do the right thing, and follow through on your word!

A.L. I hope this works out for you.

mark

joelsabi
07-12-2009, 08:58 PM
andrew,

i hope people follow through. you definitely are a good source and i hope you dont sour on people who ask for you help because of these two incidents. hopefully they are just coming up with the money but yeah they should not leave you hanging.

joel

kingjammy24
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
CP: Did you know that millions of Americans live with debt they cannot control? That's why I developed this unique new program for managing your debt. It's called "Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford."

Wife: Let me see that... "If you don't have any money, you should not buy anything." Hmm, sounds interesting

Husband: Sounds confusing.

Wife: I don't know honey, this makes a lot of sense. There's a whole section here on how to buy expensive things using money you save.

Husband: And where would you get this saved money?

CP: I tell you where and how in Chapter 3.

Wife: Ok, so what if I want something but I don't have any money

CP: You don't buy it.

Husband: Well let's say I don't have enough money to buy something. Should I buy it anyways?

CP: No

Husband: Now I'm really confused!

CP: It's a little confusing at first.

Wife: Well what if you have the money, can you buy something?

CP: Yes.

Wife: Now take the money away. Same story?

CP: Nope. You shouldn't buy stuff when you don't have the money.

Husband: I think I got it. I buy something I want, and then hope that I can pay for it right?

CP: No. You make sure you have money, then you buy it.

Husband: Oh, THEN you buy it. But shouldn't you buy it before you have the money?

CP: No

Wife: Why not?

CP: It's in the book. It's only one page long. The advice is priceless and the book is free.
-------------------------------------------------------------

champagne tastes and a beer budget.

rudy.

allstarsplus
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Forum members - Person #1 just emailed me and had some extenuating circumstances and definitely wants to complete the transaction. I thank this person for re-connecting as I know you are a good person.

I would expect the same from person #2 also.

Funny thing is someone who I have a pending deal with thought I was talking about them (which I wasn't).

Thanks for the emails and great posts.

cordovacollector
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
To help clear up some guessing ... and to take responsibilty ... I am one of the people that had disappointed Andrew. And he was right to feel disappointed.

I lot of you know I am fighting breast cancer and I NEVER want to appear that I am using that as an excuse for bad behavior. Baseball and the GUF has become a wonderful place of refuge for me. And I thank all of you who have been part of the fun of adding to my collection during a very un-fun part of life.

I am guilty often of making deals to buy items and then having it take longer to pay than I hoped. I suppose it is a form of denial of reality of circumstances and wishful thinking that I can get things put together sooner than is honestly realistic. But I never intend to mislead or not follow through. Since becoming a member, I think I have completed at least 40-50 transactions ... and I don't deny that often I have tried the patience of more than a few of you ... but like an old horse, I eventually plug through.

I hope, as Andrew has, you can understand what appears as horrible behavior is a reflection of my circumstances and not my character.

As I've grown to get to know and understand more of the workings of the forum and the truly diverse cast of characters, it has become much more fun -- funny -- and as always, informative. It got waaaaay to serious for me a while ago when I felt like a "duped dope" when my money disappeared from a few bad apples. I crawled into my shell and stopped talking even to the good guys. Now I realize that I was the dope that duped myself in taking it out on good members of the forum. I apologize to all of you!

They say confession is good for the soul. This feels good. GUF is a good place. I will do better in honoring my promises to all of you.

And by the way, I owe many thank you's to others on the board that have gone out of their way to be incredibly generous to me and I am just as slow on getting thank yous to them (Dave, Mark, Howard G.). The thank you emails will come ... slowly but surely ... and your kindness has left me overwhelmed with your kindness and friendship.

But by biggest debt of gratitude goes to Andrew. A man among men. And someone I feel honored to call a friend. And who has taught me a valuable life lesson that silence often speaks things unintended. Any short response is so much kinder and easier to understand.

Thank you all for your friendship on this forum. And for your kindness.

Helen

allstarsplus
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Helen - I have always felt that we are in a family of sorts in this hobby. Stuff happens and you have more than your share to deal with. Glad we re-connected!!! You probably just found 20 more Game Used cousins here!!!! :D

cordovacollector
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Helen - I have always felt that we are in a family of sorts in this hobby. Stuff happens and you have more than your share to deal with. Glad we re-connected!!! You probably just found 20 more Game Used cousins here!!!! :D

Thank you! :)

skyking26
07-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Thank you! :)
Helen, been thinking of you. Hope you are well. Send me your address to the email below and if you still need/want the Blue ball, I'll send it and you pay when you can.

Bob

gameused
07-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Helen,

Sent you an email link to a Marty Cordova bat you may be interested in.

Thanks, Bobby

Capital-Sports
07-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Helen's one of my favorite to deal with :)

ndevlin
07-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Ive delt with Helen before and shes a pleasant one to deal with. Very nice all around.

Which reminds me Helen. I completely forgot to send you pics of that sidewritten bat we discussed before I went to Dallas. Let me see if I can find that and I'll send them your way. That is if I can find it. :D

Oh yeah, and the McKay is laying here too.

markize
07-13-2009, 05:59 AM
To help clear up some guessing ... and to take responsibilty ... I am one of the people that had disappointed Andrew. And he was right to feel disappointed.

I lot of you know I am fighting breast cancer and I NEVER want to appear that I am using that as an excuse for bad behavior. Baseball and the GUF has become a wonderful place of refuge for me. And I thank all of you who have been part of the fun of adding to my collection during a very un-fun part of life.

I am guilty often of making deals to buy items and then having it take longer to pay than I hoped. I suppose it is a form of denial of reality of circumstances and wishful thinking that I can get things put together sooner than is honestly realistic. But I never intend to mislead or not follow through. Since becoming a member, I think I have completed at least 40-50 transactions ... and I don't deny that often I have tried the patience of more than a few of you ... but like an old horse, I eventually plug through.

I hope, as Andrew has, you can understand what appears as horrible behavior is a reflection of my circumstances and not my character.

As I've grown to get to know and understand more of the workings of the forum and the truly diverse cast of characters, it has become much more fun -- funny -- and as always, informative. It got waaaaay to serious for me a while ago when I felt like a "duped dope" when my money disappeared from a few bad apples. I crawled into my shell and stopped talking even to the good guys. Now I realize that I was the dope that duped myself in taking it out on good members of the forum. I apologize to all of you!

They say confession is good for the soul. This feels good. GUF is a good place. I will do better in honoring my promises to all of you.

And by the way, I owe many thank you's to others on the board that have gone out of their way to be incredibly generous to me and I am just as slow on getting thank yous to them (Dave, Mark, Howard G.). The thank you emails will come ... slowly but surely ... and your kindness has left me overwhelmed with your kindness and friendship.

But by biggest debt of gratitude goes to Andrew. A man among men. And someone I feel honored to call a friend. And who has taught me a valuable life lesson that silence often speaks things unintended. Any short response is so much kinder and easier to understand.

Thank you all for your friendship on this forum. And for your kindness.

Helen

Helen,

what a classy move on your part. You were never called out by name, but still fessed up. You got on the express to honesty and cleared the air. We have all been burned with bad sellers, or fake items, but that won't ever be the case with Andrew. You are obviously dealing with a tough situation with the boobie cancer which is understandable, but you showed great courage here, outing yourself. I am truly impressed, and respect that. Now, the other buyer needs to jump on theexpress to payment too. Don't leave A.L. hanging, he dropped cash on an item for you.

By the way Helen, you seem like a great girl, and I hope you fight the cancer till you win!

Mark

suicide_squeeze
07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Andruw,

Sounds like all well that ends well........assuming the second person does their part too.

I wouldn't hesitate to post any name of anybody that does you wrong here. We are all adults, and should eachother mutual respect. Obviously there are some pretty serious circumstances here in regards to Helen, so I hope it all works out for both of you.....and I'm certainly not just referring to a memorabilia deal.

But it isn't a good situation when you feel things have gone so south that you have to actually post it here to instigate a resolve. In any case, here's to hoping it all ends the way it should. You deserve more respect than just about anybody here I can think of Andrew.

Regards,

Steve

allstarsplus
07-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Andruw,

Sounds like all well that ends well........assuming the second person does their part too.

I wouldn't hesitate to post any name of anybody that does you wrong here. We are all adults, and should eachother mutual respect. Obviously there are some pretty serious circumstances here in regards to Helen, so I hope it all works out for both of you.....and I'm certainly not just referring to a memorabilia deal.

But it isn't a good situation when you feel things have gone so south that you have to actually post it here to instigate a resolve. In any case, here's to hoping it all ends the way it should. You deserve more respect than just about anybody here I can think of Andrew.

Regards,

Steve

Steve - I am just getting back to GUU after 2 wild days in St. Louis for the All Star game.

The other person has now contacted me and has vowed to resolve his purchase quickly as he had extenuating circumstances so I hope that is the case.

I also agree wtih you about things going "south" and going public with these types of issues. The most frustrating thing is how many emails I have read on this issue from people saying they have gone through this same type of problem with others.

Thanks for the input from everyone and hope to never have to start another thread like this.