PDA

View Full Version : Another Albert Pujols g/u helmet

skipcarayislegend
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Unless I'm mistaken MLB is already selling the third Pujols home batting helmet this year. At this rate they'll have sold half a dozen home gamers of his alone by the end of the year. The previous two went for $4K+ I think. That's a lot of dough for a helmet with light use and that probably wasn't used for more than a handful of games. Assuming we keep seeing more of these I'll be curious to see what they continue to sell for.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106791414&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=107138124

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=104884734&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=105231444

suave1477
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Skip let me know when it gets to the 20th helmet ill pick up that one for a $100 lol lol:D

joelsabi
07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Unless I'm mistaken MLB is already selling the third Pujols home batting helmet this year. At this rate they'll have sold half a dozen home gamers of his alone by the end of the year. The previous two went for $4K+ I think. That's a lot of dough for a helmet with light use and that probably wasn't used for more than a handful of games. Assuming we keep seeing more of these I'll be curious to see what they continue to sell for.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106791414&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=107138124

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=104884734&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=105231444

this new one should fetch more. it has tar and markings on it. the one for 4K looks mint.

shoremen44
07-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I bought one off MLB auctions...

Photomatched mine to HR games

rj_lucas
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
When the supply exceeds the demand, prices will soften. Does anybody see the demand for Pujols' items trending down, or expect it to anytime soon?

Ten years from now we may look at $4K for a Pujols helmet and kick ourselves for not picking up every one we could at that price.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

yanks12025
07-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Lucas,
And if it comes out he took some type of steroids we'll look at the $4,000 has being really high.

shoremen44
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
I probably paid too much for mine, but he is my favorite player, I love batting helmets, therefore I am not sure I will ever part with the helmet...

I think in the end if it is a piece that you are going to hold onto and love, price is irrelevant

rj_lucas
07-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Lucas,
And if it comes out he took some type of steroids we'll look at the $4,000 has being really high.

I don't get comments like that. I really don't.

Why bother collecting? Why not just stick to something safe, like knitting sweaters?

There's enough to worry about in the world as it is. Why borrow trouble?

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

bigtruck260
07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I probably paid too much for mine, but he is my favorite player, I love batting helmets, therefore I am not sure I will ever part with the helmet...

I think in the end if it is a piece that you are going to hold onto and love, price is irrelevant

Bert - I think your helmet is sick (in a good way).

I was discussing this exact situation with a buddy of mine last night.
I have decided to put all of my eggs in one basket. Albert Pujols is the greatest hitter of this generation - no question. Probably the greatest all around baseball player since Willie Mays...and 4 grand for a helmet of that quality is a soild purchase. You might not see a return on the investment (you commented that you overpaid) in 10 years, but when you retire - should you decide to part with it...$4k will seem reasonable.

If more pop up - so be it. Yours is solidly photomatched and comes with rock solid proof. If you are happy with it - awesome and congrats.

Albert is not a juicer either. I can understand a comment like one above coming from a Yankee fan though. The Yanks have been burned a few times by star players.

yanks12025
07-14-2009, 02:52 PM
How can you say for sure he's not a juicer. I hope he's not because baseball needs a clean player but it hurts when people like A-rod and now Manny show up as having taken steroids.

Bert - I think your helmet is sick (in a good way).

I was discussing this exact situation with a buddy of mine last night.
I have decided to put all of my eggs in one basket. Albert Pujols is the greatest hitter of this generation - no question. Probably the greatest all around baseball player since Willie Mays...and 4 grand for a helmet of that quality is a soild purchase. You might not see a return on the investment (you commented that you overpaid) in 10 years, but when you retire - should you decide to part with it...$4k will seem reasonable.

If more pop up - so be it. Yours is solidly photomatched and comes with rock solid proof. If you are happy with it - awesome and congrats.

Albert is not a juicer either. I can understand a comment like one above coming from a Yankee fan though. The Yanks have been burned a few times by star players.

bigtruck260
07-14-2009, 02:59 PM
How can you say for sure he's not a juicer. I hope he's not because baseball needs a clean player but it hurts when people like A-rod and now Manny show up as having taken steroids.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it...

Show me evidence to the contrary, and I will change my mind. I watch Albert play fundamental baseball and improve his skills with hard work and dedication. Did Manny or A-Rod go on the cover of SI and do this?

yanks12025
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I said I hope he's nopt on anything, baseball don't need to lose another great player. But when stars that you think weren't on anything come out and say they were using for a number of years, you have to start to think that everyone is using some type of steroid.

Also you really think im the only person on this board who thinks he may have used at one time, i bet it's close to 50-50.

spartakid
07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I must say, I sincerely hope that Albert is clean, he will be a model for the future and it will be even a greater achievement because he played so well against people that were using steriods. On the other hand, let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if it did come out that he used, especially earlier in his career when people were getting away with it. I hope that now no player is stupid enough to still be using now that people are getting caught, which is why I believe some former power hitters numbers have taken a dive. That being said, as has been recommended on the forum before. If I were Albert, I would ask to be tested once a week by the MLB (or something like that) and have the results made public weekly. This way he can stop any doubt or speculation, which is bound to occur in this era, and with his level of play being so great. Ricardo

bigtruck260
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Also you really think im the only person on this board who thinks he may have used at one time, i bet it's close to 50-50.

Nope. I never said that....and don't care what others think. If he used at one time, it's not been proven. I have never even heard about another teammate accusing him of anything.

If it's close to 50/50, then I feel sorry for the other 50%. Instead of worrying about things you have no control over - simply sit back and enjoy the game. I believe in Albert. If he's guilty (IF) he will have some explaining to do...

But not one person has come forward with a shred of anything. No doctor, team mate, family member, coach or critic. Nothing. Nada.

bigtruck260
07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I must say, I sincerely hope that Albert is clean, he will be a model for the future and it will be even a greater achievement because he played so well against people that were using steriods. On the other hand, let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if it did come out that he used, especially earlier in his career when people were getting away with it. I hope that now no player is stupid enough to still be using now that people are getting caught, which is why I believe some former power hitters numbers have taken a dive. That being said, as has been recommended on the forum before. If I were Albert, I would ask to be tested once a week by the MLB (or something like that) and have the results made public weekly. This way he can stop any doubt or speculation, which is bound to occur in this era, and with his level of play being so great. Ricardo

How do you know that they are NOT testing him all the time?

Does he look like the type of person who would be nervous about being tested?

Again, if it happens, it happens. I just choose to not dwell on something that has not been proven. The only people that are really speculating are that don't have him on their team.

As far as the helmet - Bert, I'll defend "The Mang" until he retires. :D

spartakid
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
How do you know that they are NOT testing him all the time?

Does he look like the type of person who would be nervous about being tested?

Again, if it happens, it happens. I just choose to not dwell on something that has not been proven. The only people that are really speculating are that don't have him on their team.

As far as the helmet - Bert, I'll defend "The Mang" until he retires. :D

I don't know that they aren't testing him weekly, but that's why I said they should make it PUBLIC and make it known every time he takes a test, this was it would prevent doubt and speculation.

bigtruck260
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't know that they aren't testing him weekly, but that's why I said they should make it PUBLIC and make it known every time he takes a test, this was it would prevent doubt and speculation.

You mean like a racing form -

P** Results - Week of 7/14/2009
A-Rod - Pos. testing sample B