PDA

View Full Version : Cracked bat =weight loss?

Swoboda4
07-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Although directly related to a recent thread of mine I didn't want this question lost in that discussion.
Q- With a cracked bat and repair, is there any expected weight loss? Bat in question has no appearance of external wood loss.

David
07-07-2009, 01:49 AM
There could be some internal wood loss, and the crack could help the wood dry faster/more.

suave1477
07-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I would actually think quite the opposite that there would be weight added.
Since the bat is repaired I would imagine the adding of an adhesive (Glue etc...) to hold it together would actually add more weight to it.

I would guess it would actually depend if there was wood loss? how much would loss there was? How much filler was used to replace the wood loss? and of course how much glue.

I would guess it would also come down to which is heavier the sliver of wood missing or the glue and how it would balance out against each other.

But I can't imagine it making a significant difference maybe an ounce or so at most.

This is just all theory!!

Swoboda4
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Suave, right on all counts. Not to beat a dead horse but the bat in question is a Madlock G/U Worth with a repaired crack with a current weight of 30.6 ounces. Since I think I can comfortably add 1.4 ounces,at least,to it's assumed original weight 25 years ago,that would bring it to 32 ounces. Mike Specht has stated Madlock bats average 32 to 33 ounces throughout his career,so my particular question might be answered. Thanks.
Robert