PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas to retire?!

WadeInBmore
07-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Well he will always be one of my favorites thats for damn sure :) Good to see that he is patching things up with the ChiSox. Its only gonna get harder now to collect his stuff I suppose. HOF here you come!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/1619495,CST-SPT-hurt12.article

sox83cubs84
07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Well he will always be one of my favorites thats for damn sure :) Good to see that he is patching things up with the ChiSox. Its only gonna get harder now to collect his stuff I suppose. HOF here you come!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/1619495,CST-SPT-hurt12.article
He played the game well, and he played the game CLEAN! First ballot HoFer, IMHO. :D

Dave M.
Chicago area

Carlevv
07-03-2009, 12:36 PM
How can you be so sure he played the game clean? I get a kick out of the players who say they played clean. Just because they have never tested positive means they played the game smart and didnt test positive. Amphetimines were as popular as diet coke in the 90's. If Frank ever took amphetimines for one day he didnt play the game clean. Same goes for Cal Ripken, Derek Jeter, Tony Gwynn so an and so on. Amphetimines were banned just like steroids were so if i guy took a greenie he is guilty as a guy who shot up before a game. Im not coming after the last poster but coming after all these clowns that brag that they played the game clean.

Vintagedeputy
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Thomas was a good player and I like him, but that article tries to put him on a pedestal that I think he'd have a hard time staying on top of.

cordovacollector
07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Frank Thomas was always a kind fellow in MN and I do have only great memories of him. He always laughed and played during BP while still doing the work.

Here's a couple of my Favorite Frank Memories:

In the 1990s, I had a life-sized advertising standee of him (Griffey Jr. too) - I think they were from Upper Deck. I dragged mine up to the Dome and had Frank sign it in big Magic Marker. Looked great!

I was so proud of it that I left it in my living room standing by the front door. At the time I was single and lived alone in a vintage 2-story 3000' house. Coming home late at night with the living room lights off, I scared the patoot out of myself about a half-dozen times when I'd come around the dining room colannade and see the shadow of a man standing in my living room. I'd jump, the dawg would bark, and my heart rate would skyrocket -- all at the same time I would remember it was just Frank.

After a couple weeks of scaring myself, Frank moved to the library on the second floor. Until one night I came up the stairs late at night and caught a glimpse of a man in the dark library.

Frank was soon traded to a friend who had a great collection and had really wanted the standee -- and definitely was not as skittish as me in the dark.

______

In the days before we even thought of photomatching, I was taking closeups of Franks during BP and he was using a bat with very distinct white ball marks. I took some closeups of the bat. He later used the SAME bat during the game. I sat first row over the ondeck circle so there was no doubt it was the same bat. So I took several shots of him in his first at bat and was lucky enough to get a great one of him breaking the bat. Later the bat boy gave it to one of my friends. I was so happy the next day to give him a series of about 8 photos of Frank with the bat and then breaking it.

______