PDA

View Full Version : America, 4th of July.....and Grey Flannel....

suicide_squeeze
07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Well,

I hope you all enjoy this post.....my last in regards to anything related to Grey Flannel.

Apparently, speaking your opinion about someone's customer service, or lack there-of, when commenting on a post another member posted in regards to the same thing......is now considered "actionable" to Grey Flannels lawyers.

Apparently....referring to a place as a "schlockhouse" without making any other reference as to any wrongdoing like fraud, making libelous comments, or calling out an item as being bad is considered "the last warning" to Grey Flannels lawyers.

In fact, it is apparent to me that if you have an opinion at ALL that is not to the liking, complimentary in nature, or favorable to Grey Flannel.....you had better keep it to yourself.

So, as I promised.......and up to this point felt I had kept my promise.....I will not be commenting at all on anything related to Grey Flannel.

I received my second C & D letter today, stating that (the lawyer) had been informed that I had apparently changed direction in not wanting to be part of any unwarranted attacks against them, or derrogatory in nature.

For whatever reason, they have singled me out as the "example" of what they will do when someone is acting (verbalizing) in a manner that is offensive to the company.

I feel I have been maintaining VERY CLEARLY that everything I have stated since the first C & D letter was simply my opinion. An OPINION. Not an attack, a statement meant to defame or cause damage.......just an added opinion. But as I promised the attorney who I called on the first C & D letter that I would avoid this, because I did not want to be involved with even the remote possibility of legal action for simply stating my "opinions".

So good luck forum members. The best I can figure, the second letter was instigated by someone at Grey Flannel who is obviously reading the posts, and my comments, posts #10, 21, 23, 33, and 34 from this thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26813

.....prompted this letter.

So, I am not looking for a fight. You win Grey Flannel. If I ever make another comment abnout ANYTHING someone else posts, I will respond only to the item itself, and in the form of fact finding questions, in line with the polocies of this forum.

Happy forth of July, fellow forum members. Just remember, in America, you have a right to free speech......unless you fight the "establishment" and piss off the wrong group. Then, you get no apple pie. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Steve

spartakid
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Steve, they are obviously just trying to scare you, they aren't going to do anything. If you had a bad experience with them, and you use that experience as an example. The biggest part of their case for slander or libel, has to be that your statement(s) are untrue. It's cheap to have a letter sent, they're just hoping that you'll shut up, don't give them that achievement:D As long as you have facts to back up what you're saying, there's nothing they can do, a good company would ask how they can fix or take your suggestions into consideration. Clearly something's not Kosher, they know it, and are trying to hide it. Shoot, it would cost them more in lawyers' fees than they would ever get from a case against you, which would be unlikely in itself. I would bet they wouldn't do anything past a letter, because they know anything else would be pointless and a waste of time for them. Plus, it's bad PR when the issues disclosed. Point being, don't let them intimidate you, everyone knows, including them, they can't do anything.:p

suicide_squeeze
07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Steve, they are obviously just trying to scare you, they aren't going to do anything. If you had a bad experience with them, and you use that experience as an example. The biggest part of their case for slander or libel, has to be that your statement(s) are untrue. It's cheap to have a letter sent, they're just hoping that you'll shut up, don't give them that achievement:D As long as you have facts to back up what you're saying, there's nothing they can do, a good company would ask how they can fix or take your suggestions into consideration. Clearly something's not Kosher, they know it, and are trying to hide it. Shoot, it would cost them more in lawyers' fees than they would ever get from a case against you, which would be unlikely in itself. I would bet they wouldn't do anything past a letter, because they know anything else would be pointless and a waste of time for them. Plus, it's bad PR when the issues disclosed. Point being, don't let them intimidate you, everyone knows, including them, they can't do anything.:p

Ricardo,

Thanks for the kind comments. But it's obvious I at some point got into someone's craw. I'm not just under their skin, I've reached the plueral cavity.

Where are the other forum members receiving letters like I have? I haven't heard of any. Are they just keeping quiet about it? Certainly there is no problem with sharing the fact you received a C & D letter, so why am I the only one talking? I'm on number two, which I feel wasn't warranted as I have made no attacks or suggestions as to any criminal, fraudulent, or similar activity whatsoever.

The only thing I may have said that could be a "My bad....sorry" was calling them a "schlockhouse". If you are reading Grey Flannel:rolleyes: ....I apologize for that opinion/statement. It is not in good nature in following with the forum rules.....this is true, and I recognize it, and won't do it again.

But is it approaching "actionable" legal action against myself? Wow....I don't see how.

Opinion's are just that.....a dime a dozen. Everyone has one, and they are only meaningful to the one who takes something from them. Otherwise, they are harmless. But the letter I received states otherwise. I just don't wish to push the issue.

Mr.3000
07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I seriously would not be so easily intimidated by any C&D letter received from someone's attorney. ANYONE can have their attorney write up a letter and send it to you.

Watch....

It is my opinion that Grey Flannel SUCKS. I would not EVER buy anything from them due to their poor customer service and from what I have seen....the many, many issues related to items they have sold. I would never choose to purchase any item from them. If anyone looking to do so....please be sure to read the MANY threads on this forum related to this topic.

Jason Adair
Culpeper, Va (won't take a law degree to find my full address)

Should I receive any idle threat from their attorney...I will tell them then what I will tell them now....

They can take their little threats and shove them where the sun does not shine.

I am fully entitled to my OPINION. I am fully entitled to offer advice to others on whom they should and should not do business with. Nothing said even borders libel or slander.

I find threads like this.....where people are afraid because of a "scare tactic" letter....quite funny. Not funny at you Squeeze.....just funny in general.

/rant

spartakid
07-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Well, there you have it couldn't have put it better myself. Let us know if you get a letter Jason.

Mr.3000
07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, there you have it couldn't have put it better myself. Let us know if you get a letter Jason.

I'll gladly let you know and post a pic....BEFORE I use it as TP :cool:

As it's obvious, I have a low tolerance for companies who make constant mistakes, then try to bully people around to shut them up from calling them out on said mistakes and/or poor business practices.

Neely8
07-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I seriously would not be so easily intimidated by any C&D letter received from someone's attorney. ANYONE can have their attorney write up a letter and send it to you.

Watch....

It is my opinion that Grey Flannel SUCKS. I would not EVER buy anything from them due to their poor customer service and from what I have seen....the many, many issues related to items they have sold. I would never choose to purchase any item from them. If anyone looking to do so....please be sure to read the MANY threads on this forum related to this topic.

Jason Adair
Culpeper, Va (won't take a law degree to find my full address)

Should I receive any idle threat from their attorney...I will tell them then what I will tell them now....

They can take their little threats and shove them where the sun does not shine.

I am fully entitled to my OPINION. I am fully entitled to offer advice to others on whom they should and should not do business with. Nothing said even borders libel or slander.

I find threads like this.....where people are afraid because of a "scare tactic" letter....quite funny. Not funny at you Squeeze.....just funny in general.

/rant

You just made the list. :D

chakes89
07-02-2009, 02:16 AM
What the hell is Grey Flannel?

(And I am being serious)

TriplexXxSports
07-02-2009, 06:13 AM
What the hell is Grey Flannel?

(And I am being serious)

WOW! SERIOUSLY CHAKES?! It is one of the larger Auction Houses....

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/

TriplexXxSports
07-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Man, you would think that in this economic downtime they would welcome more folks with open arms. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm glad to know that they are so well off that they pick and choose who's money is good to them.

Oh, SH*T! I just made the list! :(

KrAzY3
07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Threats and the like are easy to make on the internet. However, they are not that easy to back-up. Drawing up a letter is cheap, actually taking legal action? Not so much...

I've been threatened with legal action before. Nothing came of it (and I did not back down because I was doing nothing illegal). If you are clearly outside the law, or in highly questionable territory like file sharing you might decide to capitulate but it's very hard to bring legal action against someone for something they said on the internet. I know of one case in which someone simply claimed other individual was using their computer and they got off even though they were clearly outside the law.

I have had my site shut down (Consumption Junction emailed my host and succeeded in shutting down my site for a short while), I've even had a site officially banned by a country (Pakistan, the BBC site showed the really cool memo). So yeah, certain actions can be taken... but dragging you down to court? They don't want to make a spectacle of this and when you get down to it a voice in the internet can't really be silenced.

hblakewolf
07-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Threats and the like are easy to make on the internet. However, they are not that easy to back-up. Drawing up a letter is cheap, actually taking legal action? Not so much...

I've been threatened with legal action before. Nothing came of it (and I did not back down because I was doing nothing illegal). If you are clearly outside the law, or in highly questionable territory like file sharing you might decide to capitulate but it's very hard to bring legal action against someone for something they said on the internet. I know of one case in which someone simply claimed other individual was using their computer and they got off even though they were clearly outside the law.

I have had my site shut down (Consumption Junction emailed my host and succeeded in shutting down my site for a short while), I've even had a site officially banned by a country (Pakistan, the BBC site showed the really cool memo). So yeah, certain actions can be taken... but dragging you down to court? They don't want to make a spectacle of this and when you get down to it a voice in the internet can't really be silenced.

Based on this thread, the following story reported by Michael O'Keffe of the NY Daily News may be relevant:

By Michael O'Keeffe
New York Daily News

Justice may be blind, Grey Flannel president Richard Russek recently learned, but it certainly knows when a letter of authenticity ain't worth a damn.

Grey Flannel, the Long Island sports memorabilia house, bills itself as the world's foremost authenticator of game-used jerseys, but Judge Marilyn Milian issued a sharp dissent in a July 7 broadcast of "The People's Court."

"The Case of the Ripken Rip-off" began when collector John Cherpock bought what dealer Sean Ford claimed was a Cal Ripken game-used retro jersey tailored for the second game of the Orioles' July 18, 2001, doubleheader with the Texas Rangers. Cherpock paid $2,475 for the jersey, which was accompanied by a letter of authenticity from Grey Flannel.

"I wouldn't have bought it without the letter from Grey Flannel," Cherpock said.

Six months later, Cherpock consigned the jersey to Robert Edward Auctions. The New Jersey auction sent it back because, contrary to Grey Flannel's LOA, the second game of the doubleheader was canceled thanks to a chemical spill that shut down parts of downtown Baltimore.

Cherpock told Russek and Grey Flannel CEO Howard Rosenkrantz he wanted them to reimburse him for the $2,475. Grey Flannel was liable, Cherpock says, because it issued the letter vouching for the jersey. "This is why people pay premiums for certificates, because they hold themselves out as experts," Cherpock says. Russek and Rosenkrantz offered Cherpock the $400 Ford had spent to get the jersey authenticated. Cherpock filed suit in Nassau County small-claims court, but agreed to bring the case to TV when contacted by The People's Court producers.

"Even if I lost, I would have let the public know what kind of guys they are," he says.

Before Judge Milian, Russek admitted his company had erred. But he said Grey Flannel didn't owe Cherpock the $2,475 because Cherpock didn't hire Grey Flannel. Besides, he added, a disclaimer on the bottom of the certificate of authenticity was just opinion.

Russek said Grey Flannel thought it had reliable sources for its opinion - a letter from a limo driver who said Ripken gave him the jersey and a letter from a guy named Charles Jeffrey - but he later acknowledged he didn't even have a letter from the driver.

"Let me talk to you about negligence," the judge said. "There are two types of negligence. There's plain old simple negligences, and then there is negligence that is so out there, that is so bad, that is so wrong, that it is gross negligence...it takes two seconds to just find out if the game even ended up being played on the date and time you are certifying."

Milian then went ballistic: "What you have is just a paragraph signed by some schmo named Charles Jeffrey with no address, no phone number!" she screamed.

By the end of the show, Russek looked like a whipped dog. "This is what gives the memorabilia business the bad reputation that it enjoys right now," the exit interviewer told him.

"Yeah, well listen, in almost all cases we're correct," Russek countered. "We made a mistake. The judge ruled. What can I say?"

"Yeah, but gross negligence," the interviewer added. "You didn't even try."

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

earlywynnfan
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Can you post a scan of the letter? I'd love to know what is says, exactly.

Thanks,
Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

jbcindc
07-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Suicide Squeeze,

Mr. 3000 (Jason) is absolutely right about being intimidated by a C&D letter. I'm not an attorney, but I've written many C&D letters on behalf of some of my clients and they are meant to intimidate people into ceasing whatever action we don't like, such as using the client's mark or brand without permission. The only way for us to enforce a C&D is to initiate costly legal action; which we wouldn't do because it isn't worth the money. Even though we were clearly correct in our position it is just too costly to win the argument in court. Not to mention that we wouldn't want the dispute picked up by the trade media.

In your situation it isn't even clear that Grey Flannel would prevail. Depending on what action they took it could turn out to be more costly and more damaging to Grey Flannel. A slander case, for example, would be suicide (pun intended) to Grey Flannel because in cases such as slander they put Grey Flannel's business dealings under a microscope. No business wants that.

That said, there's probably nothing to be gained by continuing to attack Grey Flannel. The C&D letters, whether they irritate, intimidate or just upset you don't appear to be worth the stress they seem to put on you. The one thing I would recommend is that you reply in writing to the attorney who wrote you the C&D letter denying whatever Grey Flannel has alleged. It's always best to have a paper trail.

Happy 4th of July,

Jason

Mr.3000
07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Howard, thank you for posting that. Not only was it completely relevant for this thread.....it was highly entertaining! Grey Flannel was on People's Court and got verbally smacked around by my favorite tv judge....Judge Milian. I wonder if they tried to hand her a C&D letter during that tongue lashing they received? LOL

suicide_squeeze
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Suicide Squeeze,

Mr. 3000 (Jason) is absolutely right about being intimidated by a C&D letter. I'm not an attorney, but I've written many C&D letters on behalf of some of my clients and they are meant to intimidate people into ceasing whatever action we don't like, such as using the client's mark or brand without permission. The only way for us to enforce a C&D is to initiate costly legal action; which we wouldn't do because it isn't worth the money. Even though we were clearly correct in our position it is just too costly to win the argument in court. Not to mention that we wouldn't want the dispute picked up by the trade media.

In your situation it isn't even clear that Grey Flannel would prevail. Depending on what action they took it could turn out to be more costly and more damaging to Grey Flannel. A slander case, for example, would be suicide (pun intended) to Grey Flannel because in cases such as slander they put Grey Flannel's business dealings under a microscope. No business wants that.

That said, there's probably nothing to be gained by continuing to attack Grey Flannel. The C&D letters, whether they irritate, intimidate or just upset you don't appear to be worth the stress they seem to put on you. The one thing I would recommend is that you reply in writing to the attorney who wrote you the C&D letter denying whatever Grey Flannel has alleged. It's always best to have a paper trail.

Happy 4th of July,

Jason

Thank you for the great advice and comments Jason. This is my paper trail. I have publicly apologized for the less-than-friendly name I used in regards to their business.....it was inappropriate and I will cease to use such "colorful" words. But I really know that the rest of it is just an opinion, and I am not breaking any laws. But to be honest, it's silly to have to worry about the next knock on my door being a local sherriff to serve me with a lawsuit, so I'm done.

At this point, it's obvious enough to me that Richard Russek would spend any amount of money to do whatever damage he could to me. I really feel it would self-destructive to his company as mentioned here......but I feel it best to just avoid the whole mess.

And to Mr. 3000 and others, I appreciate the support, but please, be careful and don't do something to redirect the anger towards yourself on my or any others behalf. It will serve no purpose in the end. We all have the legal right to state our opinions about an item in the hobby, without all the "issues" created by getting a bit overzealous in our loathsomeness for a particular person or entity. We can do our business here and maintain a professional approach. Thanks all.

Regards,

Steve

Rob L
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
"In recent years, the U.S. Supreme Court has allowed that only factual
misrepresentation is to be considered libel or slander, not expression of
opinion."

suicide_squeeze
07-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Can you post a scan of the letter? I'd love to know what is says, exactly.

Thanks,
Ken

Here is a pdf scan of the letter for those of you who want to see it. I have blacked out my address for obvious reasons......

suicide_squeeze
07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
"In recent years, the U.S. Supreme Court has allowed that only factual
misrepresentation is to be considered libel or slander, not expression of
opinion."

Rob,

Interesting. Where did you get that quote from? And thank you for posting.

Steve

otismalibu
07-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Wonder if this is the same gentleman who wrote the letter?

With the Los Angeles Lakers adding another World Championship to their storied franchise and Kobe Bryant winning the series MVP, we wanted to take this opportunity and offer to you, our loyal customers, three quality Kobe Bryant game-used jerseys which come to us direct from the Doug Friedman Collection. Each is accompanied by a Grey Flannel Letter of A uthenticity. Currently available are a 1997-98 Second Year Kobe Game-Used & Autographed Road Jersey, a 2000-01 Kobe Game-Used & Autographed Road Uniform from the Championship Season and a 2005-06 Kobe Game-Used Road Uniform. Please visit www.GreyFlannel.com (http://www.greyflannel.com/) to purchase these pieces of basketball history.

hblakewolf
07-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Can a lawyer comment on the fact that the lawyer (Doug) is located in California, however, Richie Russek/Grey Flannel is a New York based company-why would a New York company retain a lawyer located 3,000 miles on the other side of the country? If indeed this case went to court, what state would try it, New York? If so, what's the chance that Doug can practice law outside of California or in New York?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Rob L
07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Rob,

Interesting. Where did you get that quote from? And thank you for posting.

Steve

Steve,

I got that from West's Encyclopedia of American Law - libel and slander:

http://www.answers.com/topic/slander-and-libel

Mr.3000
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM

With the Los Angeles Lakers adding another World Championship to their storied franchise and Kobe Bryant winning the series MVP, we wanted to take this opportunity and offer to you, our loyal customers, three quality Kobe Bryant game-used jerseys which come to us direct from the Doug Friedman Collection. Each is accompanied by a Grey Flannel Letter of A uthenticity. Currently available are a 1997-98 Second Year Kobe Game-Used & Autographed Road Jersey, a 2000-01 Kobe Game-Used & Autographed Road Uniform from the Championship Season and a 2005-06 Kobe Game-Used Road Uniform. Please visit www.GreyFlannel.com (http://www.greyflannel.com/) to purchase these pieces of basketball history.

LOL Busted!

Great catch. And VERY interesting. Mr. Lawyer has his hands in the cookie jar. No wonder he wants no one to point out Grey Flannels many flaws.

Mr.3000
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Can a lawyer comment on the fact that the lawyer (Doug) is located in California, however, Richie Russek/Grey Flannel is a New York based company-why would a New York company retain a lawyer located 3,000 miles on the other side of the country? If indeed this case went to court, what state would try it, New York? If so, what's the chance that Doug can practice law outside of California or in New York?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

I wonder if his firm would be interested to know that he is using the firms letterhead, and his position there, to send frivolous threats to people in order to protect his own interests in a game used auction house...that clearly sells items from his personal collection. Perhaps a phone call to the leading partner is in order.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.......

LOL

Rob L
07-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Classic!! What an idiot. Friedman is obviously has quite a stake in anyone knocking Grey Flannel when he is trying to sell his stuff. Jeez Steve, you better be shaking in your boots!!! ;)

hblakewolf
07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Here is a pdf scan of the letter for those of you who want to see it. I have blacked out my address for obvious reasons......

Complete details on the lawyer of this letter, Doug Friedman:

http://abc7.lawinfo.com/expert/abc7personalinjury/about-us.html

Based on the information he provided, it's good to know that if I'm ever in the Los Angeles area and get bit by a crazed Pit Bull, He's the lawyer to retain!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

sammy
07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
An old post in regard to Grey Flannels' business practices and expertise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: MASAUCTION - Mitchell Schumaker seriouslyfolks (Login seriouslyfolks (http://www.network54.com/Profile/seriouslyfolks))

May 11 2005 at 2:05 PM

Response to MASAUCTION Mitchell Schumaker (http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/message/1115833189/MASAUCTION+-+Mitchell+Schumaker)

You are correct in your assumption regarding Mitch Schumacher of MS Auctions. There was an article in the May 11, 2001, issue of SCD regarding Mitch.

In that article, it states he was arrested in the FBI's Operation Foul Ball.

He admitted using an east coast authenticating firm to authenticate his game-model jerseys as game used. The east coast firm was Grey Flannel.

Most of the "game used" items he sold on ebay before being arrested by the FBI, had Grey Flannel letters. He plead guilty.

earlywynnfan
07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Not only does Douglas Friedman sound like the type of lawyer that gives them all a bad name, but he also ain't bein' very good at grammar:

"...my last attempt to to informally have you stop these type postings..."

Aren't lawyers supposed to have college degrees?

Steve, it's clear to me what you have to do now: Push this baby! Call Russek or whomever and find out why you in particular got a letter, and find out if it's the same Douglas Freidman. This has become a joke!

Ken

dcrules01
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
If I read right Kobe 97-98 they sold is a 46

00-01 sz 52

05-06 sz 58

That seems to be a big difference in sizing but I am no expert on his jerseys..Also I am no lawyer but him sending you the letter and consigning items with Grey flannel seems to be a conflict of interest..Maybe you made a comment about one of the jerseys he was consigning either way it is not right on there part.Good Luck

otismalibu
07-02-2009, 05:44 PM
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:9uvb_1x-absJ:www.greyflannel.com/stock/letters/Friedmanform.pdf+Chudacoff,+Simon+%26+Friedman,&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

sammy
07-02-2009, 05:56 PM
The Douglas E. Friedman listed on the C&D letter is not licensed to practice in the State of New York.

There are two Douglas Friedmans listed with the New York bar, and Douglas Edward Friedman - #102686, California, is not one of those.

----------------------------------------------------------------

New York Bar Attorney Name:
1) DOUGLAS IAN FRIEDMAN 1699073 Birmingham AL 1980 Currently registered

2) DOUGLAS L. FRIEDMAN 2828374 Jersey City NJ 1997 Currently registered

----------------------------------------------------------------

It appears Grey Flannel is just using cheap labor for a cheap scare tactic.

kingjammy24
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
howard: i'm not a lawyer but from my understanding this sort of matter would be adjudicated by a state court (as opposed to federal). the decision of which state (CA or NY) would likely be based on where the defendant resides. a NY court would have no jurisdiction over steve because steve is not a resident of NY nor does he do business there. a CA court would be used as that's the state that has jurisdiction over steve due to his residency. in order to adjudicate in a CA court, he'd need to be served by a lawyer licensed to practice in CA. again, take that for what it's worth as i'm not a lawyer. that's simply been my understanding of the issue. here's more on personal jurisdiction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_jurisdiction

rudy.

sammy
07-02-2009, 06:10 PM
otismalibu: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us)

------------------------------------------------------------

This is the html version of the file http://www.greyflannel.com/stock/letters/Friedmanform.pdf.

Google automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web.

------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1

LAW OFFICES OF
CHUDACOFF, SIMON & FRIEDMAN, LLP
2100 WILSHIRE BLVD. SUITE 1 100
LOS ANGELES,CA 90025

Gregory S. Chudacoff*
Robert S. Simon
Douglas Friedman*
A Professional Corporation*

TELEPHONE (310)207-9800 *
FACSIMILE (310) 826-3059

September 10, 2008

Mr. Richard Russek
Grey Flannel Auctions
8 Moniebogue Lane
Westhampton Beach, NY 11978

Dear Richie:

Now that the Hall Of Fame Auction is in the books, I would like to express my gratitude to everyone associated with Grey Flannel for the manner in which I was treated and the stunning results of the Auction itself. You have always been forthright in advising me to acquire quality pieces as the cornerstone of my collection and to fill in other uniforms as they become available. I will never forget the day that when I asked you whether or not I should get my Bill Russell Jersey autographed, you responded with the simple question as to whether or not I would prefer to own a Babe Ruth Jersey or an autographed Babe Ruth Jersey. You correctly pointed out that most of basketballs' all time greats were still alive and in a position to sign their memorabilia. Face-to-face meetings with the likes of Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain were truly incredible experiences which might have otherwise never taken place.

When we met in January of this year and reviewed my collection piece-by-piece you were careful to point out that it should be viewed as a Stock Portfolio and that certain pieces would go for higher prices than anticipated while others might not reach levels that I might hope for. We each evaluated the overall collection and came within five (5%) percent of each other's calculation. Fortunately, we were both low.

The older, rarer and more desirable pieces had tremendous results. Our mutual concerns relating to the state of our economy and the possible effects on an auction eight (8) months away were overcome by the fact that people in this hobby will always pay for quality goods.

My experience tells me that any collector or seller of memorabilia should always be willing to pay a premium for that which is truly special. It will make one's own collection that much better and at the time of sale should generate far more than the initial investment.

In closing I want to thank TJ, Michael, Debbie and Michael Rosenbaum for their incredible attention to detail, patience with my numerous phone calls and overall level of professionalism that only served to reinforce my belief that regardless of our nearly 40 year personal relationship, that Grey Flannel and particularly the Hall Of Fame Auction was the right time, right place and right auction house to handle the auction of my collection.

With fondest regards,

Douglas Friedman

Rob L
07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Steve,

Check out your the signature on your letter and the signature on the Grey Flannel letter. Friedman didn't even sign yours.

suicide_squeeze
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I have to say.......this forum has quite a group of intelligent, able-minded members who are quick to get to the bottom of whatever issue they care to know about. You guys are impressive.

I am letting this thread alone. It speaks for itself.

I came here to let you all know I wasn't going to make any further problems for Grey Flannel by inflaming their existence with my opinion on........well, ANYTHING relating to them or their business. This all seems to be fairly serious. I guess it's from which point of view you are looking from: It's either a serious mess.....or a serious joke. I'm playing on the safe side, and I'm considering it a serious message.

I truly believe I haven't done or stated anything that warranted a second (and final formal) cease and desist letter. But what kind of an idiot would I be to stick my hand in the flame again? There is nothing to gain by it. NOTHING gets by you guys anyways.

Rudy, pretty much as consistently as the sun rising every day, is correct in regards to why I received these letters from a California licensed attorney. I really did a number on GF somewhere along the line in their opinion. They want my ass on a skillet, so I am shutting it down because I don't want to give them the satisfaction. I'm fairly sure it's one guy alone, and we all can guess who that is.....but again, that's my opinion, and it means nothing.

You all can view that as a weakness or cowardly action......I'm just using common sense.

For the record, I am apologizing for whatever I said that raised an eyebrow at Grey Flannel and instigated another phone call to Mr. Friedman requesting he send me this latest C & D letter.

OK....back to other posts.

Happy 4th of July to all you fine GUU members.

Steve

whatupyos
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Steve,

I hope things go well for you. I personally don't think you have anything to worry about. I work for an attorney. Most just like to threaten people to get them to stop whatever they don't like. I don't think they can touch you for having an opinion. Do you know how hard it is to actually win a case of slander? Or claiming that a company lost business because of you? Damn near impossible. Johnny Cochran couldn't even pull that off, haha. Unless of course he uses the Chubaaca defense, lol. We live in America...thank God, and we have free speech (or so I thought) and its a shame there are some wimpy minded, thin skinned individuals who want to put a noose on free speech, its a damn shame. Speak your mind people and don't let anyone bully you. If I was on a jury, there is no way I could even think about convicting anyone for having an opinion. Like someone once told me....opinions are like bum holes, everyone has them and they all stink.

Mr. 3000-

I enjoyed your commentary. You think like I do. C&D, what a joke. Just for that company pulling off that rubbish, I will never bid on anything they auction off, no matter how bad I want the item. Come to think of it I will not even browse their web site. That's just ridiculous that they have to be like that. Its sad really.

To the person who commented on Lawyers not knowing how to use good grammar....it happens all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct documents for the attorney I work for because of poor grammar. Thats why he has paralegals, like me, to clean up his mess. Unfortunately, I don't get paid the big bucks to clean up his garbage grammar, but it makes me feel good that I know how to phrase words better than him.

Happy 4th to all!

Aaron