PDA

View Full Version : Ever sold to someone famous?

skipcarayislegend
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I haven't yet (that I know of), but I just sold a jersey to the brother of the guy who used it, which got me thinking about this.

My only brush with super stardom was with someone who thought he was famous. People in the Atlanta area probably know a guy named Jerome Jurenovich. He does pre and post game Braves commentary for Fox down here. A few years ago he emailed me about a helmet I was selling. His email went something like "Do you happen to have any old flapless ABC helmets? My name is Jerome Jurenovich and I am a sports anchor. You probably remember me from CNN." I didn't have any helmets for him, but I'm sure he was more disappointed about me not knowing who the heck he was.

metsbats
06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
A couple of years ago I sold a game used Wade Boggs bat on ebay to Jesse Barsfield.

cordovacollector
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
OK, the starter of the thread said "famous" not just "sports related" ....

Sorta along this line ... the fellow who I used to sit next to in my section for a few years sold his two extra front row seats for the 1991 WS to Ted Turner and Hanoi Jane.

I sold 1/3 of my feed analysis laboratory corporation to Vern den Herder - No Name Defense, Dolphins.

I gave a 1936 or '37 high school baseball record book I had found to Harmon Killebrew. His older brother was in the lineups. It meant quite a lot to him.

I sold a Briggs & Stratton motorwheel and buckboard (1919) to John Shiely, President of Briggs & Stratton, in the 1990s. He had it restored in OR, had it brought back to my housein MN so I could see it, then put it on permanent display at the head office in Wauwatosa, WI, with a brass plaque saying it was formerly owned by me. When he started calling me to buy it, I hung up on him twice because I thought my friends were playing a trick on me. :o For you youngin's on the board here's what a Buckboard Flyer looks like:

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/1919%20Briggs%20&%20Stratton%20Flyer-S.jpg

sox83cubs84
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I've personally sold jerseys of former MLB pitchers John Verhoeven and Bob Scanlan to the pitchers themselves. I also know my buddies at MEARS sold a Byron Wilkerson Cubs gamer (ST use only) to Byron Wilkerson.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Lokee
06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I sold a Ryan Leaf retail jersey on ebay to Walter Flannigan from the Clerks Mallrats, Kevin Smith movies.

My wife sold a vintage hand made Corset to Courtney Love on Ebay.

cordovacollector
06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I have given over 150 of my 8x10s to players and their wives when they have asked for them. I knew of one player that had 20 of my 8x10s framed and hanging in their entry of their house.

One former Twin was at a signing with his son and I had a game used bat for him to sign. When he saw it he smiled and said, "Oh, that was my favorite bat for a long time!" So I gave it to him ... and he gave it to his son. Later during the night game he handed up two bats to me.

34swtns
06-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I used to collect 1968-1971 Topper/Johhny Lightning die-cast toy cars and I ended up with 2 complete sets of mint cars. When I sold one of the sets on ebay the buyer turned out to be Tom Lowe, the owner of the company who resurrected the Johnny Lightning line in the late 1990's.

dfirest1
06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Years back, I bought an Igor Korolev Blackhawks game jersey from the team that I ended up selling back to him.

33bird
06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I bought Marty Barretts rookie Sox jersey, sold it to my brother, who gave it to Marty. Marty couldn't believe someone had his rookie jersey. My brother was his insurance agent.

Blitzmaster
06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
In 2002 I sold a Shane Conlan jersey to his wife. I was selling a 1989 Starting lineup of him and there was a game-worn jersey in the picture. SHe contacted me about the jersey and said he did not keep one so I sold it to her.

kylehess10
06-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Well I haven't sold any equipment to any players, but there are several Braves players that have my photography. There's this lady that knows a lot of players on the team and helps me get down as close to the game as possible to get the best shots. She then gives the players my photos. A few to name specifically.....Jorge Campillo, Jordan Schafer, & Derek Lowe all have my photos. I just got an e-mail from the lady tonight who helps me with this and Tommy Hanson is now expecting some of my photos from his Major League Debut to give to his family. It's pretty neat and I might start giving players photos too everytime I meet them.

spartakid
07-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Well I haven't sold any equipment to any players, but there are several Braves players that have my photography. There's this lady that knows a lot of players on the team and helps me get down as close to the game as possible to get the best shots. She then gives the players my photos. A few to name specifically.....Jorge Campillo, Jordan Schafer, & Derek Lowe all have my photos. I just got an e-mail from the lady tonight who helps me with this and Tommy Hanson is now expecting some of my photos from his Major League Debut to give to his family. It's pretty neat and I might start giving players photos too everytime I meet them.

I hope they're fairly compensating you for your pictures with destroyed bats that can be photomatched:D

David
07-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I sold a photo via eBay of 1940s Bears running back Marshall Goldberg to Marshall Goldberg, via his grandson's account. After winning it, his grandson told me he showed the the listing to the then 80-something Marshall and Marshall said he'd never before seen the photo. The grandson won it and give it to Marshall as a present. It was a great photo, shot for 'Marshall Goldberg Day' in Chicago. It showed him dressed up as a cowboy, a six shooter in one hand and a football in the other. The sale was probably more of a thrill for me than Marshall.

vonbrandingo
07-01-2009, 02:41 AM
One former Twin was at a signing with his son and I had a game used bat for him to sign. When he saw it he smiled and said, "Oh, that was my favorite bat for a long time!" So I gave it to him ... and he gave it to his son. Later during the night game he handed up two bats to me.

That's a great story! I lived in MN during the 90's and met a bunch of Twins players at TwinsFests. Who was the player you gave the bat to? I met Hrbek at the Mall of America during his appreciation weekend in August of 1995 and he seemed a bit surly to me. Didn't see Puckett at the two Twinsfests I attended, and don't even know if he showed up, but I did see him twice at a Jerry's grocery store in Edina, MN when I was 14. Wish I'd talked to him.

allstarsplus
07-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Through my Sports Art company I get a lot of celebrity clients, but my favorite story was when I got a call from Kareem Abdul Jabaar's agent who wanted a Muhammad Ali painting I had. I still have a copy of the check Kareem sent me.

Second would be Jamal Anderson of the Atlanta Falcons who purchased an original painting of Muhammad Ali and we got to talk several times. I shipped the painting to a good buddy of mine who lived close to Jamal near Atlanta and he got to uncrate the painting and hand-deliver it to Jamal. The best part was how appreciative Jamal was. Great guy.

I also have had Jesse Barfield on eBay and a few retired players.

Always nice when you do a signing with a player who asks for something you have them sign. We did a signing with Jordan Zimmermann of the Nationals who really liked a photo we had of him so he got 3 or 4 photos. Then later he sent me a text message and asked for a few more.

ironmanfan
07-01-2009, 07:12 AM
at the Winterfest show in Baltimore in early 2007 (which included a reunion of sorts of the '83 Orioles WS team), I brought three game used bats of Bobby Bonner (whose primary claim to fame is being one of the three players pictured on Cal's rookie card) for him to sign. After showing them to him and discussing them, etc., he told me that he didn't save any bats from his career...I susbsequently gave him two of the bats so he could give them to his grown children (for their children)....The email that he sent me a few days afterwards to thank me again was payment enough....

ryant7
07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Believe it or not one of my fathers really close friends deals in classic cars and Reggie Jackson is an avid car collector he has sold Reggie a few cars and attended car shows with him i have a couple signed balls with hof inscriptions and Mr. October. My dad has a Game Issued bat that was signed and personlized to him from Reggie. Reggie is a stand up guy.

commando
07-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I have sold several rare Topps proof cards to Keith Olbermann. I've also had several former players and family members contact me through my Houston Gamblers website: www.houston-gamblers.com (http://www.houston-gamblers.com)

BaseballGM
07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I sold a gu bat on eBay to jamie denton - the actor who plays(ed) the plumber on Desperate Houswives.

jonincleve
07-03-2009, 06:55 AM
i sold some manufacturing equipment to jesse james of west coast choppers years ago on ebay. it's my day job :) not sports related but neat

take care
john

suave1477
07-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I once sold on ebay a Mets Pedro Feliciano Game Used Jersey to his cousin. He bought it and was very happy about it, then sent me an email afterwards telling me who he was and that he was thankful about it.
His cousin lives in Queens.

suave1477
07-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I was once made an offer for one of my most favorite items in my baseball memorabilia collection from Stan Bahnsen.
I think he made me an offer of 3k but I turned him down.
The items value was over that and my hard work I put into it was worth more.

But I did appreciate the offer and knew it was a definite desirable item.

A yankees autographed bat.

suicide_squeeze
07-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Believe it or not one of my fathers really close friends deals in classic cars and Reggie Jackson is an avid car collector he has sold Reggie a few cars and attended car shows with him i have a couple signed balls with hof inscriptions and Mr. October. My dad has a Game Issued bat that was signed and personlized to him from Reggie. Reggie is a stand up guy.

Reggie is a stand-up guy, huh?

Reggie may be a stand-up guy if he wants something from you. But have you ever gone to a signing and asked Mr. "Stand-up" guy to sign a baseball for you?

He's an ass. Won't talk to you much if at all. Makes darn sure the money is handled (tickets presented for the signature, verified by his assistant sitting next to him, etc.), won't shake your hand, and pretty much treats you like your wasting his time.

He's a borderline Jim Brown in the making.

suicide_squeeze
07-04-2009, 01:04 PM
When I was 17 years old, I went to work in the summer for my dad. He owned a store selling power tools and machinery to contractors and small manufacturers.

One day, I was in the back of the shop talking to guy who sharpened the blades by the customers who brought them in. A guy walks up to the counter and say in a strong loud voice "I need this chain saw blade sharpened. Can I pick it up by Friday? I'm going to need it this weekend."

The employee says "Sure, I can do that." He grabs a claim ticket and says "What's the name?"

"Fonda. Henry Fonda"

I looked up, and about swallowed my tongue when the employee from Puerto Rico asked "Spell the last name for me?"

I jumped in and expressed my apologies to Mr. Fonda, explaining that he didn't know who he was because he wasn't from our country. I immediately told the employee that Mr. Fonda was one of the biggest movie stars in history. Mr Fonda didn't say a word, he just looked at me and the guy writing up the claim ticket......it was an unforgettable moment. I remember noticing that Henry Fonda had hearing aids in each of his ears....looked really old, but healthy....active. He was also wearing glasses. That was 1977.

He came back on Friday to pick up his blade, but he also bought something from my dad's store. I don't remember what it was, but I do remember my dad asking me...."Would you mind carrying this out to Mr. Fonda's car for him son?" It was so funny.....I walked with Henry out through the back of the store, all the while thinking "I wonder what kind of car he must drive.....a Rolls Royce?....a large Mercedes?

As we approached the lot, I followed him and he walked up to his car and open the back so I could place the package in his car.

It was a bright orange volkswagon hatchback sedan. I had never seen one before, and have never seen one since. As he closed the hatchback, he flipped me a silver dollar. Feeling embarrassed and not knowing how to handle the situation, I said "Oh...Mr. Fonda, you don't need to...."

He basically cut me off by looking at me, and with a stern stare he was kind of saying "Hey kid.....shut up and take it, and thank you."

A couple of days I'll never forget. Not sports related, but I thought you guys might enjoy that story.

During that same summer, I also delivered a table saw to Harrison Ford's house. THAT is a whole other story in itself! And finally, I single handedly sold a shop vacuum to none other than "Spock" himself, Leonard Nemoy.

It was quite a summer. My dad's store was in Hollywood as you might have gathered. I miss those days.

rose14
01-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Suicide, I agree. Reggie is a total ass! I've seen Reggie many times and almost every time he alway has this pissy attitude like he is better than everyone. I have never been able to stand the guy.

In fact, at a National Convention probably seven or eight years ago he was being his usual self and was acting very rude to a very young boy that was trying to talk to him while I was walking by. I stopped and told Reggie what a prick he was to act like that. He got pissed and we had some words and I basically told him to F off and that if he wanted to go outside and "discuss" it I would be happy to oblige. He turned around and walked off and went back to talking to the other King of A-holes Alan "Mr. Mint" Rosen.

I play in a baseball league with Marty Barrett's younger brother, Joe Barrett in the Louisville, KY area. He played college baseball at Clemson and UNLV. In fact the whole Barrett family is pretty talented as they have another brother who played college and minor league ball.

Reggie is a stand-up guy, huh?

Reggie may be a stand-up guy if he wants something from you. But have you ever gone to a signing and asked Mr. "Stand-up" guy to sign a baseball for you?

He's an ass. Won't talk to you much if at all. Makes darn sure the money is handled (tickets presented for the signature, verified by his assistant sitting next to him, etc.), won't shake your hand, and pretty much treats you like your wasting his time.

He's a borderline Jim Brown in the making.

Tay1038
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Haven't sold - but have purchased directly from Harmon Killebrew

RJB44
01-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't know if there is any merit to this story, but I heard years ago that Rickey Henderson found out that someone had his original 1979 A's Rookie Jersey and that he made an offer to buy it and the person refused. Apparently Henderson offered some good money for it, but the person was steadfast and didn't want to sell. Henderson got real bothered by this and wanted to know where the guy got the jersey from, claiming that the jersey may have been stolen from the A's sometime before the 1980 season? I don't know where the source of this story originated from, and I have never seen nor am I aware of a 1979 Henderson rookie jersey in a collection. Maybe others have more insight on this.

GarkoCollector
01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Not memorabilia, but I sold Jordan Sigalet, Bruins Goalie, some of his rare rookie cards when I stopped collecting. Was a great guy and kept in contact with me for awhile.

platinum1
01-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I sold John Rauch one of his White Sox game used jersey.
I had to look over his delivery address a couple of times.
Because I thought the delivery name was an error.:p

DonTheLegend
01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
in the category of "same but different"

Bobby Hull gave my buddy and i a handful of cash to buy every lithograph a dealer was selling (of course it was of Hull).

he was very nonchalant about it and talked to us for quite a bit before and afterward.