PDA

View Full Version : The Duke - Anyone Know what Thorp ...

cohibasmoker
05-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Hello guys and gals. In the 1950's and up and until 1969, the NFL used "The Duke" footballs. The official game ball had "Thorp Sporting Goods" on one of the panels. Anyone out there know the history behind "Thorp Sporting Goods" and why it was applied to the NFL footballs?

Thanx,

both-teams-played-hard
05-14-2006, 12:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/both-teams-played-hard/aaaatark.jpg

Thorp distributed jerseys for the Football Giants and Jets and other NYC teams of the 50s and 60s. Don't know about the Wilson "Duke" football...

baltos
05-14-2006, 12:14 PM
The Duke football was named after Giants owner Wellington Mora who passed away last year. There is a connection between Thorp and Mora as well but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

cohibasmoker
05-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Here's what I found out. Thorp was the official supplier and/or middleman of game footballs to the NFL back in the day. This part is clouded, somehow Wilson got involved and got the contract. This action created bad blood between Wilson and Thorp. To appease both Thorp and Wilson, the Thorp logo was put on all Duke footballs while Wilson made and distributed the footballs to the NFL teams.

miracleonice80
05-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi all.....I recently came across an American Football League football from the '60's......it has white stripes for the night games, but, interestingly, it has Pete Rozelle's signature on it......any instance when Rozelle had his name on an AFL football? Thanks.....Tony

cohibasmoker
05-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi all.....I recently came across an American Football League football from the '60's......it has white stripes for the night games, but, interestingly, it has Pete Rozelle's signature on it......any instance when Rozelle had his name on an AFL football? Thanks.....Tony

Hi - I believe the year would be 1969 when the merger between the NFL and AFL became official. There were a small amount of AFL footballs produced with Rozelle on them.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

miracleonice80
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jim.....awesome. I just recently saw a Rozelle AFL with white stripes....good info. Tony

miracleonice80
05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Looking for any 1960's Thorp NFL game balls or '60's AFL Spalding game balls for sale....Thanks! Tony