PDA

View Full Version : Worst Price You've Paid for Game-Used Item?

bigshot5021
06-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey, I'm relatively new here so I don't know if this has been covered before but I thought it'd be interesting anyway. What's the worst price you've ever paid for a jersey/bat/etc. that was game-used? Or in other words, what's the one situation where you were seemingly ripped off in buying one of these items?

I ask because I suddenly realize one situation I was in where I basically blatantly overpaid, that being about $250 for a Ruben Quevedo autographed 2002 game-used Brewers jersey. If you never even heard of Quevedo, that's understandable, as he was 14-30 over his career with an ERA that I'm sure baloons over 5.00. If I could make a defense of this ridiculous purchase, though, it would be that A)For some odd reason, he's one of my favorite pitchers, B)There was actually another bidder who stuck with me around the $200 mark, C)It's autographed and really nice with the Miller Park all-star patch, and D)It has MLB authentication AND came with Mears authentication that scored it an A10. Come to think of it, it's the only game-used of Quevedo I've ever seen.

Okay, after all that, maybe it wasn't so bad at that price, although I feel like I still could've got it for at least a hundred dollars less.

So anyone else have any similar stories of paying a lot more than they really had to?

mbenga28
06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
can you please post photos of this jersey?

thank you.

commando
06-22-2009, 04:36 PM
It's always a double-edged sword when you're a player collector (or in my case, a collector of a team that was only around fro two years). I have had to politely pass on more than one Houston Gamblers item because the prices were simply too high. It would be a different story if I were rich and had cash to spare, but I have a limited collecting budget like most of you.

When Gamblers items enter the auction circuit, they usually sell for very reasonable prices in my opinion. Most often, its the private collectors and businesses that are looking to sell things for much more money than an auction would bring.

I'm not sure where the magical "line in the sand" is... I guess I look at each item I find on a case by case basis. Paying ten dollars for a five dollar item isn't the end of the world, but paying $500 for a $200 item....

Lokee
06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
hmmm this post got me thinking about my collection.

back in 2003 I picked up a Frank Thomas 2002 Game Used Away Jersey. I paid about $2300 for it. Not sure If I can get my money out of it. It is still a nice jersey though.

RobSteinmetz
06-22-2009, 05:56 PM
For me, it's a toss-up between $4000 for a Mark Prior game used glove and $3000 for a Nomar Garciparra Cubs jersey. If nothing else, the Prior glove is a cool "what could have been" Cubs momento.

AWA85
06-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Not at all in the thousands or anything like that, but at the time I really wanted to add a Wily Mo Pena bat to my collection. Found one that was hammered with tar, grass stuck to it, dirt, taped handle, and signed. Perfect bat, just the fact that I paid $150 for it was a little bit of the bad part. About $100 higher than what you would expect for a Pena bat, who by the way got released from the New York Mets AAA today.

dcgreg25
06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
$1500 for a Sammy Sosa bat used to hit 2 HRs off of Curt Schilling.

scottanservitz
06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I paid $45 for a Carlos Baerga bat that was terribly cracked. I fixed it the best I could. And it has another player's name and number on it. So looking back I probably paid about $30 too much. It is sitting in the corner of my bedroom and I have to look at it everyday. Ouch.

Scott

murfsteve25
06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I forget the exact price, but the range was 65-75 bucks. Bought a pair of GAME USED Sheffield Yankee socks from ESM. Even autographed. Seriously...who buys used socks? Worst purchased ive ever made. Thats gotta be up there with the Arod jock that was for sale not long ago.

Jake51
06-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi,

$4k+ for a Cutler gamer. I still have it [was at the game when he wore it, etc] but with the trade to Chicago it doesn't mean as much as it once did.

Thanks,

Tom

MUSEOVEN
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey, I'm relatively new here so I don't know if this has been covered before but I thought it'd be interesting anyway. What's the worst price you've ever paid for a jersey/bat/etc. that was game-used? Or in other words, what's the one situation where you were seemingly ripped off in buying one of these items?

I ask because I suddenly realize one situation I was in where I basically blatantly overpaid, that being about $250 for a Ruben Quevedo autographed 2002 game-used Brewers jersey. If you never even heard of Quevedo, that's understandable, as he was 14-30 over his career with an ERA that I'm sure baloons over 5.00. If I could make a defense of this ridiculous purchase, though, it would be that A)For some odd reason, he's one of my favorite pitchers, B)There was actually another bidder who stuck with me around the $200 mark, C)It's autographed and really nice with the Miller Park all-star patch, and D)It has MLB authentication AND came with Mears authentication that scored it an A10. Come to think of it, it's the only game-used of Quevedo I've ever seen.

Okay, after all that, maybe it wasn't so bad at that price, although I feel like I still could've got it for at least a hundred dollars less.

So anyone else have any similar stories of paying a lot more than they really had to?
HELLO :) I HAVE A RUBEN QUEVEDO JERSEY, HE IS STILL PLAYING HERE IN VENEZUELA.-

MUSEOVEN
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
MY WORST PRICE IS THIS JORGE JULIO BAT I PAID 217$ :eek:

bigtruck260
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
1998-1999 Ray Lankford LS C243....

$166

They can be had for $45 if you look for them. I was certain it was a match to the bat he used in the game Mac hit #62....and I got into a bidding war (probably with the seller :D ). I sold it for about $60.

Non Game used - McGwire signed baseball $500 (Steiner). Sold for $160.
Sadly, over the years of all 6 that I bought, $160 was the highest. One actually sold for under $100.

sox83cubs84
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I forget the exact price, but the range was 65-75 bucks. Bought a pair of GAME USED Sheffield Yankee socks from ESM. Even autographed. Seriously...who buys used socks? Worst purchased ive ever made. Thats gotta be up there with the Arod jock that was for sale not long ago.

Don't forget Kyle Hess' shower shoes.:p

Dave M.
Chicago area

kylehess10
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't forget Kyle Hess' shower shoes.:p

Dave M.
Chicago area

Don't worry those only cost me $12 :D

I bought Gary Sheffield's socks for $38 from ESM as well as a pair of Luis Castillo socks from ASI for $1

reed1216
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Without a doubt, mine would be a 2003 road Roger Clemens Yankees jersey (w/100 year patch). It's well worn and was purchased directly from the Steiner auction that concluded just months before the Mitchell Report was released. I just checked the invoice and after a few deep breaths to control my heart palpitations, the final invoice price was $6,050.80. The date of purchase is listed as 4/5/07.

When I bought this, it was going to be my holy grail. The next month, the Mitchell Report was released and the rest is history. I still have it displayed and it's an awesome jersey. Too bad Clemens has done so much to screw up his legacy. By far, that was my worst purchase- financially speaking...

murfsteve25
06-24-2009, 02:31 AM
OH I FORGOT!!! my absolute WORST purchase ever was my 2008 SEASON used shea stadium knapkin holder. $85 down the drain.

skyking26
06-24-2009, 03:15 AM
The title could suggest different answers. We all over-pay for items if we want it bad enough. It is up to us to do it, no gun to our head.

Couple come to mind. I was involved in a year-long spending spree of a player-collection sale. Truely mind-boggling and overwhelming to say the least, especially when your favorite player. Because it was overwhelming; one could not have it all. Some pieces got away early in sale to those that bought not so much for a love for Kong, but a love for the particular team displayed. Item was a '77 Yankees Jacket, vintage and game worn. When it came around the 2nd time I paid $900 over original price I could have had it at! Was I pleased with this? Not on your life, especially having just gotten out of surgery and it being the holidays. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat as it is a spectacular piece. Love it.

Second was a purchase just made. '89 McGwire Home Oakland jersey in LeLands auction. I would have been fine save a bid-up by another member here. I've always loved McGwire, but after hammer and shipping, $2300 for a non-HOF gamer, WS Year or not, is alot of dollars to swallow in this economy to be sure. Don't even have it yet; but was not pleased with price paid.

Others include biddng wars on ebay. Kingman oddball model game used bats from early 70's. $600 range plus. Bat replaceable? Nope, doubt another exists. That said, could I resell and recoup $$? No way would any other collector, including a Kong guy, pay what I paid for these bats. If my wife knew the final numbers on my collection, she'd divorce my sorry *ss but would likely have a heart attack first!

We do it because we love it, not because it is an intelligent financial move...:rolleyes:

mfsquirrelmaster
06-24-2009, 03:54 AM
When I was first starting in the hobby years ago I purchased a jersey that I later found to be not authentic. I have overpaid for legit gamers but at least they were actually game worn.

NEFAN
06-24-2009, 08:22 PM
2005 game issued Pro Bowl jersey, Richard Seymour. Paid $400. That was before they were selling so many supposedly "Game Issued" jerseys. It's on ebay starting at $99.

Live and learn.

JasonBanz
06-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I paid $125 for a used youth football helmet with a few Dolphins stickers slapped on it. I bought it from a respectable dealer and if it wasn't for the guys on this forum, I would still be thinking it was game used.