PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Puckett 1994 Leland's Jersey

cordovacollector
06-22-2009, 03:08 AM
I was looking at an old post on GUF and noticed something odd about this 1994 Kirby Puckett Twins jersey Leland's sold in their December 1995 auction as a 2000th hit game or season jersey.

http://www.lelands.com/App_Themes/Images/Auctions_Images/512/thumbnails_bidding/35889d.jpg (http://www.lelands.com/App_Themes/Images/Auctions_Images/512/popups/35889d.jpg)

I've seen many Kirby signatures and know he used the closed 4. This front inscription looks like it might have been added by someone else -- note the open 4's and the heavier hand.

A possible reason for signature on the back could be that the one on the back was signed first. That small circle signature often came when he really wasn't in the mood for signing. And with the bad blue Sharpie, maybe the owner just decided to have it signed again in a better situation and planned to have the blue one removed.

http://www.lelands.com/App_Themes/Images/Auctions_Images/512/thumbnails_bidding/35889c.jpg (http://www.lelands.com/App_Themes/Images/Auctions_Images/512/popups/35889c.jpg)

Both signatures appear legit to me but nothing to me explains the open fours and the different hands on the front of the jersey,

Any of you have any thoughts on this?

cordovacollector
06-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Another note on Kirby's signature is that after he retired he would never sign #34 on anything and if asked to he would say he didn't wear that number anymore.

The blue signature is typical for a post-1997. The black signature is typical for a pre-1996 autograph unless it was done for someone with a special connection to him.

cordovacollector
06-22-2009, 03:27 AM
.... Leland's sold in their December 1995 auction as a 2000th hit game or season jersey ....

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say Leland's sold in their December 2005 auction as his 2000th hit game worn jersey.

sox83cubs84
06-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Helen:

I definitely believe the inscription was added after the fact. Not only is the inscription ink much bolder than the ink on the autograph, but it makes no sense that he was use his "normal" 4 in the uniform number with his autograph and an "abnormal" 4 in the inscription.

Dave M.
Chicago area

rj_lucas
06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
In addition, the two inscriptions have three letters in common 'i', 't', and 's'. There is nothing remotely similar about the way these letters were written. In fact, the top inscription is cursive, while the bottom is long hand.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

lund6771
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I bought this jersey in that auction and still own it...When researching the jersey before it was auctioned off I spent my time researching wheather this jersey was worn on 4/8/94...didn't pay much attention to the auto's or inscription

After getting videos and pictures from Kirby's 2000th hit game, there is no question that he wore this jersey that night..all of the pinstripes match up perfectly to every number, letter, button, patch, etc...

something that made me scratch my head was that it is a set 2....I thought it strange that a set 2 was worn so early in the season, but whatever...it was also worn for many games after that night because the wear is fantastic

the auto on the back sucks..I've thought about getting it removed and just keeping the one on the front, but just haven't gotten around to it...

Not quite sure what to make of the inscription...looks pretty obvious that Kirby didn't put it on there

Does anyone know if there is a way to take the blue sig. off the back and also the inscription on the front, while keeping the "best wishes K.P.?"

cordovacollector
06-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I bought this jersey in that auction and still own it...When researching the jersey before it was auctioned off I spent my time researching wheather this jersey was worn on 4/8/94...didn't pay much attention to the auto's or inscription

After getting videos and pictures from Kirby's 2000th hit game, there is no question that he wore this jersey that night..all of the pinstripes match up perfectly to every number, letter, button, patch, etc...

something that made me scratch my head was that it is a set 2....I thought it strange that a set 2 was worn so early in the season, but whatever...it was also worn for many games after that night because the wear is fantastic

the auto on the back sucks..I've thought about getting it removed and just keeping the one on the front, but just haven't gotten around to it...

Not quite sure what to make of the inscription...looks pretty obvious that Kirby didn't put it on there

Does anyone know if there is a way to take the blue sig. off the back and also the inscription on the front, while keeping the "best wishes K.P.?"

Hi Lund!

You DO own a sweet jersey there!! I am glad it is someone on here that has it. I hope you know I meant nothing bad ... just was curious.

Do you know who put it on Leland's? I think I might have an idea of three possibles and if so, could find out the answers from the fellows I know. Two were friends of Puck's. You can email me about that.

I would think a professional cleaner service (not just a regular dry cleaner) would have no problem in removing the blue signature with it being on the back. The inscription might be tricky since it is so close to the other. That might be best left alone. But we could maybe find out the story of how and when the signatures came about.

I wasn't as concerned at all about it being Set 2 -- just figuring Set 1 was maybe used for Opening Day or previous games.

Did you get the other items listed in that lot, too? If so, could you send me some photos of them? If you don't know the previous owner, I might be able to tell from the other items.

Send me an email and maybe we can solve this mystery! Great jersey to pick up. No one ever imagined he wouldn't hit 3000 ....

lund6771
06-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Cordova..

The jersey came with a Team LOA from the Pro-Shop

Also a pair of stirrups with a #45 marked on them, not sure what that means, but they are now buried in the city dump

It also came with an autographed color picture of Kirby from the hit, (picture is from Star Tribune)

Last item it came with was a ticket from that game

That's all I really know about it

sylbry
06-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I am pretty sure I know who originally purchased the jersey from the Pro Shop and I know he would not have added the inscription.

cordovacollector
06-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I've been giving it more thought too. I do think all three were done by Kirby - with at least two being done at different times. Just trying to fill in the blanks of the story behind that.

Years ago, I remember being shown by Killebrew how to have someone hold the jersey tight while it is being signed so you get a better signature and it is easier for the guys to sign. The black Kirby signature flows so well that it looks like it might have been done that way. Then when asked to add the inscription, it looks like perhaps it wasn't pulled. That would sure explain why it looks darker. The only thing it wouldn't clear up is the 4's.

But the inscription to me does look familiar. I had, and have seen, other Puckett items signed by him with printed inscriptions. If my memory serves well, to me it does look like his printing. It's just the 4's. Any chance he did numerals differently in dates? I had a Puckett collection of game used items but sold it all in '94 and '95. For some reason the period added seems correct as well.

Does anyone have any Puckett items handy with printed inscriptions or dates?

nyjetsfan14
06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't mean to butt in but here is what I have expereinced in football collecting. Often times an equipment person and/or team rep will inscribe an item of such significance with the date, score, opponent, record set, etc... and thus all the player has to do is sign/autograph his name. Maybe the scenario is the same is baseball at times? Happy collecting.

Matthew