PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best hanger to hang up a jersey

joelsabi
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
What kind of hanger is best to hang up a jersey? Plastic or Wire hangers?
I want the least amount of wear on the jersey as possible and the jersey to keep its shape while on display.

thanks in advance.

cordovacollector
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Museum advice for your better jerseys:

Use inert, acid-free products (http://dept.kent.edu/museum/staff/care.html#Suppliers). To avoid a sharp crease at the shoulder, use a hanger of the proper width padded with polyester batting and covered with washed, undyed and unbleached muslin. These inert materials will shield your garment from getting yellow stains that might be caused by the off-gasing of plastics, woods and other non-archival materials. Cotton muslin is cheap and safe and can be used for garment covers as well.

Vertical storage (hanging):
Select a sturdy hanger that is the right size and shape to fit the garment. To avoid a sharp crease at the shoulder, pad the hanger by winding strips of polyester batting around it to shape and cushion the shoulder area. Secure with thread.
Cover the padded hanger with a cloth cover. Because wood and plastics (such as polyester) release acids that create yellow stains on the fabrics they touch, it is better to use an inert shield over them. Undyed, washed and unbleached
cotton muslin is cheap, safe and can be used for hanger shields as well as garment covers.
Do not use plastic garment bags for storage for they create an atmosphere with little or no ventilation in which condensation can occur. These conditions can also encourage the growth of mold and insects.
Make sure the garment sets on the hanger without putting strain on the shoulders, collar, or sleeves.

joelsabi
06-20-2009, 11:31 AM
any opinion on these two hanger? the second one looks like it may deform a jersey over time.

maybe a better question is not what to use.

cordovacollector
06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use either of them ... but the bottom one is horrible. (And their ad couldn't even spell jersey correctly.) The first ones likely would give off gases that might discolor over time as they look plastic.

joelsabi
06-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use either of them ... but the bottom one is horrible. (And their ad couldn't even spell jersey correctly.) The first ones likely would give off gases that might discolor over time as they look plastic.

helen,

so what do you recommend? and where can i buy it online? link would be great.

thanks

joel

Dewey2007
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
any opinion on these two hanger? the second one looks like it may deform a jersey over time.

For what it's worth, I bought some of the first jersey hangers for the exhibit display I'm putting together and they are much better then the Ultra Mounts. They help display the jersey much better.

cordovacollector, I'd be interested in hearing some alternatives as well since I'm not up on the chemistry of jersey hangers. How long over time would it take the "gases" from the plastic jersey hanger to discolor a jersey??

cordovacollector
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I buy nice, old wooden ones on estate or yard sales, or even at local auctions. I have even gotten a few discarded ones from high-end men's stores -- I ask if they have any damaged ones for sale. Sometimes they'll just give them to you. Then I cover them the way it is described in the above post with quilt batting and muslin.

The damage from the wood or plastic comes from direct contact so if you pad and cover them, your good to go. I learned this from a museum conservator.

Dewey2007
06-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I buy nice, old wooden ones on estate or yard sales, or even at local auctions. I have even gotten a few discarded ones from high-end men's stores -- I ask if they have any damaged ones for sale. Sometimes they'll just give them to you. Then I cover them the way it is described in the above post with quilt batting and muslin.

The damage from the wood or plastic comes from direct contact so if you pad and cover them, your good to go. I learned this from a museum conservator.

Thanks for passing the info along! When you have time can you please post a picture of a hanger that you've coverted into one that's jersey safe with the materials mentioned above. I'd like to get an example so I can do that to mine in the future.

cordovacollector
06-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Will do!

cordovacollector
06-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's a great description with illustrations on how to make these:

http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/04-05.pdf

joelsabi
06-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Here's a great description with illustrations on how to make these:

http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/04-05.pdf

wow. great information. im one of those that needs a visual.

thanks a bunch.

ultramount1
07-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi, I am the inventor the Ultra Mount. The idea for it came about a few of years ago when I wanted to display a jersey. It took me a while, but after numerous prototypes and tests I came up with the product you see today. I am a one-man operation and I am always looking for ways to improve my product and customer service. I was doing some research and came across this website and immediately wanted some more input. I would love to hear from you more specifically as to why the product did not meet your needs and if you have some suggestions on how to improve it to meet your expectations. You can email me at ultramount@msn.com or by phone at 303 601-8127. That one jersey I had in the beginning has turned into 16 jerseys, including basketball, football, cycling, and hockey, they have been hanging on Ultra Mount for the last four years. One of the biggest customer concerns I have heard is that the mount might deform the jersey. I can assure you that this has not happened to any of the jerseys I have hanging up, nor have they become discolored or dusty from hanging on the Ultra Mount. Also, I would like to thank you for pointing out that "jersey" was spelled incorrectly in the above ad, I have contacted the company that is posting that ad so that it can be corrected. Thank you, Jon.

joelsabi
07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi, I am the inventor the Ultra Mount. The idea for it came about a few of years ago when I wanted to display a jersey. It took me a while, but after numerous prototypes and tests I came up with the product you see today. I am a one-man operation and I am always looking for ways to improve my product and customer service. I was doing some research and came across this website and immediately wanted some more input. I would love to hear from you more specifically as to why the product did not meet your needs and if you have some suggestions on how to improve it to meet your expectations. You can email me at ultramount@msn.com or by phone at 303 601-8127. That one jersey I had in the beginning has turned into 16 jerseys, including basketball, football, cycling, and hockey, they have been hanging on Ultra Mount for the last four years. One of the biggest customer concerns I have heard is that the mount might deform the jersey. I can assure you that this has not happened to any of the jerseys I have hanging up, nor have they become discolored or dusty from hanging on the Ultra Mount. Also, I would like to thank you for pointing out that "jersey" was spelled incorrectly in the above ad, I have contacted the company that is posting that ad so that it can be corrected. Thank you, Jon.

hi jon.

thanks for posting here. if you look at that misspelled ad, the football jersey just looks awkward and looks like it will disformed the jersey over a long period of time. maybe its perception but perception is reality. i dont know if you can your hangar or not. maybe its just the photo that was used and your item is more flexable.

ultramount1
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I appreciate you getting back to me with your input. You are right, we need to work on those photos. Thanks again, Jon

Jays1fan
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM

I would love to see Pics as well.
Thanks !

Jays1fan
07-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Where do you get the 1st ones ?
I just picked up 3 of these for $18.95 Dlvd.
I might Cut them right below the chest because with the Jersey they are a little heavy. ( With out the Hanger attached they sorta look like Batman's costume.. lol )
http://www.jays1fan.com/hangers.jpg

joelsabi
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Where do you get the 1st ones ?
I just picked up 3 of these for $18.95 Dlvd.
I might Cut them right below the chest because with the Jersey they are a little heavy. ( With out the Hanger attached they sorta look like Batman's costume.. lol )
http://www.jays1fan.com/hangers.jpg

the first one is from:
http://profilejerseydisplay.com/adjeha.html

the second one is from:
http://ultramountdisplays.com/
kinda kewl, their hangars are used in Basketball HOF museum. good fit for basketball jerseys.

Jays1fan
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the Info .. A little pricey for me.

justncase
07-26-2009, 01:20 PM

As the owner of PROfile Jersey Display I would like to ask you if an acrylic plastic for the adjustable jersey hanger would be more suited for the needs of your group of collectors. I value your input. Attached is a jersey/football display. Do you guys like to display multiple items in one case? Thanks

joelsabi
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
here a link to the other hanger mentioned in my original post. not the ultramount.

http://profilejerseydisplay.com/adjeha.html

ultramount1
09-25-2009, 04:52 PM
hi jon.

thanks for posting here. if you look at that misspelled ad, the football jersey just looks awkward and looks like it will disformed the jersey over a long period of time. maybe its perception but perception is reality. i dont know if you can your hangar or not. maybe its just the photo that was used and your item is more flexable.

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know we have a new option for the Ultra Mount Jersey display that gives the jersey a more realistic look. We have added curved ends to mimic a persons shoulders. Attached are a few photos with the new option. They are available upon request, free with purchase. Any feedback is appreciated. I can be reached at ultramount@msn.com. Thank you.