PDA

View Full Version : OT: C. Fielder or Mo Vaughn Steal Base?

cordovacollector
06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Somewhere in the late 90s early 00s, I was at a Twins game and saw a great play ... but I can only partially remember it. :confused: It seems like it was Mo Vaughn but it could have been Cecil Fielder or some other Big Buffalo (said with all due respect).

He got on first and then to the crowd's (and HIS) surprise, he stole second base! They actually stopped play for a bit and he pulled up second base to keep as a souvenir. If I remember correctly, it was the first time in his career he had ever stolen a base.

Help me guys! Did this really happen? And who and what were the real events.

If I dreamed this all up in some chemo fog, I apologize -- and you now can get back to your regular programming. :cool:

______

P.S. I have a photo I took of David Ortiz sliding into second with Adam Kennedy on second mid-air about 5 feet making the throw. When he signed the photo, I asked Adam what he was thinking at that moment and he said, "I saw him coming, I felt the ground shaking, and I knew if I didn't jump for the top of the Dome I was dead."

5kRunner
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I can't say I remember that, but according to baseball-reference.com, Cecil Fielder stole the first base of his career at Minnesota on April 2, 1996.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=fieldce01&t=b&year=1996

That would have been funny.

No chemo fog, you're sharp as a tack!

5kRunner
06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Another interesting fact. He stole another later that same year, never to steal another the rest of his career.

mbenga28
06-19-2009, 12:58 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=y17fnEHFIcsC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=cecil+fielder+twins+stolen+base&source=bl&ots=jtTvrbL1kQ&sig=C0hnW1Ni2zU-b1XR0pju3LcQrjQ&hl=en&ei=QdE7SryyKN6MtgfTl9j4Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

joelsabi
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Cecil Fielder began his MLB career on July 20, 1985 vs. the Oakland Athletics.

Cecil Fielder stole his first base on April 2, 1996 vs. the Minnesota Twins.

That is a whopping 3794 AB and 4355 PA before he ever stole a base.

A few of the things that happened between the time Fielder began his career and achieved his first stolen base:

- the Cold War ends
- three different presidents in office
- the First Gulf War begins and ends
- Yugoslavia is broken up
- Etc. (I can’t think of anything else right now)

It should be mentioned that Fielder did have six triples to his name when he finally stole his first base.

joelsabi
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
it wasnt mo vaughn,

fielder:vaughn :: henderson: raines

cordovacollector
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Could this be the game?

Game played on Tuesday, April 2, 1996 at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome
Detroit Tigers 10, Minnesota Twins 6
SB–Fielder (1,2nd base off Naulty/Myers)
Would it be true then that he only stole two bases in his career and I saw him steal the first? I am terrible at finding stats!!

Heh, I always thought it was funny Harmon only hit 24 triples in his entire career. I do like watching big guys trying to make a triple. Terry Steinbach is a sweet man ... but it was painfully funny to watch him even make it to first.
Great guys both!

cordovacollector
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the posts, guys ... and fast ones, at that! I didn't see all the replies before I posted my second one.

I read the link (thanks!) http://books.google.com/books?id=y17...esult&resnum=2 Be sure to read it. I am going to have to buy that book for certain!

So, the Old Lady's memory is purrrdie good after all! ;) A do remember loving the moment! And I was in the first row above the on deck circle by the Tigers' dugout (regular seat). Likely have photos packed away too. Got to make sure I save that ticket and get it signed. I have all my game tickets ... somewhere ... well, in several somewheres.

Thanks for the help! "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." :o

emann
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
They actually stopped play for a bit and he pulled up second base to keep as a souvenir. If I remember correctly, it was the first time in his career he had ever stolen a base.

Did he hold the base up Rickey Henderson-style? I seem to recall something funny like that being shown as a clip on ESPN.

cordovacollector
06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Yes! I remember him raising his arms, and then it seems to me when they pulled up the base he held that up too ... laughing and fully enjoying the moment.

David
06-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I remember when Cecil stole a base (practically the headline!). It was a bumbling-like, goofy play, where he ended up at second. It wasn't like he outran the throw from the catcher.

cordovacollector
06-19-2009, 06:56 PM
You must have seen the second one. The first one didn't appear that way.