PDA

View Full Version : NFL Auction Jersey Tagging Question

skinsfan0521
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
So, I know that there has been a few discussions here in the past about the NFL selling jerseys and not describing them correctly. Basically, they call every jersey and "authentic" jersey, when they're mostly Pro-Cut. Well, in the auction that just ended yesterday there were a few questions on a Redskins jersey that I was hoping that somebody could answer...

First, this Clinton Portis jersey (http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106106308&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=106453018) is described as an "Authentic", but if you look at the picture, you can clearly see that there is a strip tag on the inside of the neck. It has a "04-46" on there. As far as I knew, no "Pro Cut" jerseys had the tagging, they were just made to the same specifications. Am I wrong? Basically, what's going on with there being a year and size tag? Does that mean that this was really a Game Issued rather than an authentic??? I'm assuming that I'm not the only one thinking it's a game issued since it sold for $405.

The same is true of this Clinton Portis jersey (http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=104894107&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=105240817) that sold a little over a month ago. This one sold for $315.

However, this Portis jersey (http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=105575916&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=105922626), you can't see the tagging on the inside and it only sold for $255.

Again, I know that this general topis has been discussed before, but I'm just curious about the tagging issue on these particular jerseys. I will admit that I haven't looked at all the pictures of all the jerseys that they sell, but I haven't noticed strip tagging on other items previously. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!!

-Brian

skinsfan0521
06-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Ok, well now that I'm looking through all the recently sold jerseys on NFL Auction... I see that the reason that I don't normally notice is because like 90% of the time that part is not visible in the picture (either cut off or covered by the PSA/DNA LOA). But, there are definitely several that show the strip tagging. Is this just part of the "pro cut"? I always thought that those strip tags were just for the actual game issued/game worn?

Thanks!

-Brian

Aloving77
06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
To call the jerseys from NFL Auctions "game issued" or "pro cut" would be inaccurate (in my opinion). The NFL has players sign the twill numbers then they sew the numbers on to blank jerseys. In the past I have seen signatures that have clearly been stitched over. The jerseys come from the same supplier that makes the jerseys that are worn in games. I don't know if the jerseys are sent to NFL Auctions by the teams or by the supplier. If they are sent by the team, that might give some reason for the jerseys to be described as "team issued". However, the jerseys would not be pro cut because they are not always the correct size or cut. I have seen running back jerseys with lineman sleeves and quarterback jerseys with skill cut sleeves. Recently NFL Auctions has offered Tennessee Titans light blue jerseys. All three players (Bulluck, Johnson, and White) were the same size (46) and cut (skill cut with regular sleeves) even though they wear different sizes and styles on the field. All jerseys were tagged as 2008 but none have had the 10th anniversary patch as worn by the Titans during that season.

skinsfan0521
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I remember in another past post about NFL Auctions that there were pictures of players signing numbers that weren't even stitched onto the jersey yet, but I was unaware that all of these jerseys that they advertise as "authentic" have the strip tagging in them.

The examples of the Titans that you give, basically answer my question. I wasn't sure if those strip tags were legit or if they were just put in there to make the jerseys seem a lot more like game issued or game used. But since you say that those players all wear different sizes and cuts on the field and these were all the same, I think that answers my question.

I think that pretty much cleared up my questions, but anybody else can feel free to chime in here as well.

Thanks!

-Brian

cordovacollector
06-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Is it just me, or am I the only one that thinks MLB and NFL auctions should sell only game used? I am starting to stay away from them now because in the past I thought it was safe that they were game used. It is getting to be muddy waters there for me.

TriplexXxSports
06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Blank Pro-Cut with added numbers (w/ signature) & NOB - IMO. I'd be cautious and ask for tail tag pics.

mvandor
06-19-2009, 11:29 PM
To call the jerseys from NFL Auctions "game issued" or "pro cut" would be inaccurate (in my opinion). The NFL has players sign the twill numbers then they sew the numbers on to blank jerseys. In the past I have seen signatures that have clearly been stitched over. The jerseys come from the same supplier that makes the jerseys that are worn in games. I don't know if the jerseys are sent to NFL Auctions by the teams or by the supplier. If they are sent by the team, that might give some reason for the jerseys to be described as "team issued". However, the jerseys would not be pro cut because they are not always the correct size or cut. I have seen running back jerseys with lineman sleeves and quarterback jerseys with skill cut sleeves. Recently NFL Auctions has offered Tennessee Titans light blue jerseys. All three players (Bulluck, Johnson, and White) were the same size (46) and cut (skill cut with regular sleeves) even though they wear different sizes and styles on the field. All jerseys were tagged as 2008 but none have had the 10th anniversary patch as worn by the Titans during that season.

Having owned several of these for Chargers players and comparing them to a GU one, they are near identical - with the exceptions as you noted, incorrect sizes, lack of player specific customizations. I had a Tomlinson that would have been identical if I'd had the waist tailored with elastic. I'm sure more than a few of these jerseys end up getting customized and beat up and resold as GU.

They do make nice collectibles though if you collect more than just GU.

marknmd
07-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi - I'm a little bit late to this thread. I'm a redskins game jersey expert.

The tagging you see is typical of jerseys made by Ripon Athletic to be distributed to the Redskins. My assessment is, this jersey was sent to the team as a blank at some point after 2006.

That jersey in the photo is doctored. There are a number of obvious problems, any one of which is solid proof the jersey is a fake.

1) The year-size swatch combined with the sleeve. The year shows it to be a 2004 jersey. This is impossible, because Ripon didn't manufacture their first Redskins jersey with the solid gold strip underneath the armpit until 2006.

2) The stitching is wrong at the corners of the numbers. I've seen hundreds of Redskins jerseys. They all overlap the horizontal and verticle stitch at the corners. On this jersey, the stitch is turned at the corner, much like retail jersey numbers are sewn. This proves that somebody besides Ripon or the team sewed those numbers onto the jersey.

Somebody changed this blank jersey into a Portis jersey in the hope of ripping somebody off.

Here's my thread on another site with tons of info regarding Redskins jerseys.

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=247947

Hope this helps.