PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Clemente Bat

joelsabi
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MATEO-ALOU-GAME-USED-BAT-USED-BY-ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-PSA_W0QQitemZ390059865993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item5ad1613789&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

has anyone seen a similar attribution to a HOF player using a teammate's bat?

joelsabi
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
photos:

rj_lucas
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Never. I'd like to see some forensic evidence. The leap seems tenuous in my opinion.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

josportsco
06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
[quote=rj_lucas;147625]Never. I'd like to see some forensic evidence. The leap seems tenuous in my opinion.

I disagree. This stuff happens a lot more than you think, even today. As for the Clemente using Alou I would bet he did on occasion or used one bat of his till it cracked. Absolutely.

sox83cubs84
06-19-2009, 06:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MATEO-ALOU-GAME-USED-BAT-USED-BY-ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-PSA_W0QQitemZ390059865993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item5ad1613789&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I once, many moons ago, owned a 1985 Rawlings/Adirondack Davey Lopes bat that was used by Ryne Sandberg, but the hand-inscribed numbers on the knob were much clearer and more identifiable than this instance. Still, being a U1 (a popular Clemente model), while not ironclad, by any means, it could be possible.

Dave M.
Chicago area

joelsabi
06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I once, many moons ago, owned a 1985 Rawlings/Adirondack Davey Lopes bat that was used by Ryne Sandberg, but the hand-inscribed numbers on the knob were much clearer and more identifiable than this instance. Still, being a U1 (a popular Clemente model), while not ironclad, by any means, it could be possible.

Dave M.
Chicago area

its just a great item. i think its legit. i am not an expert but love reading this documents writeups on how they come up with their conclusion.

does anyone know if other provinence documentation such as where it came from goes into their conclusions or is the conclusions based on the bad standing on its own merits.

rj_lucas
06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
When an major authenticator uses statements like 'we conclude that', I would prefer to see it backed up with facts, not educated guesses i.e there's a big difference between a conclusion and an opinion. State it as an opinion, even an informed opinion, and no harm no foul.

That said, if you're confortable with the authentication report, and you like the item, that's what matters. I don't take issue with the bat, only the way it was dealt with by the authenticator.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

spartakid
06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm sure the wording has to do with liability, someone's conclusion and opinion as far to the authenticity of an item are basically the same thing. It's probably just so if the item is somehow deemed unauthentic, no one can sue them. Ricardo