PDA

View Full Version : Somebody PLEASE steal my idea, it could make you million$!

murfsteve25
06-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Like many of you, when I was growing up I would collect baseball cards. At first it was just for the fun of it or to collect my favorite team or player. As I got a little bit older, I realized that some cards are worth hundreds of dollars. AND, like many of you, I would go to to Wal-mart or the local card shop and buy the latest Beckett. I would sit for hours and look up all of my cards to see how much their worth. I also enjoyed looking at the top 10 cards of the month to see which cards are the ones to have. The articles had good info as well.

Well, now that I'm 22, I dont really collect baseball cards anymore...except for maby some autographed ones or some rookie cards. My focus has dramastically turned to collecting autographs and game used memorabilia. This forum is excellent because it provides us all with valuable information on our favorite (and expensive) hobby. And even better, that valuable information comes from YOU. The moderators and us members have provided each other with information to help each other succeed. Some have excellent sources, others just have great knowledge. So where am I getting at??

It would be awesome for a magazine to come out that is similar to Beckett. I would love to see one that is mainly focused on game-used memorabilia. Just like Beckett, it could have the top 10 memorabilia pieces of the month. It could provide valuable information of items as well, such as tagging styles and patches. And similar to Beckett providing card show schedules in the back of each issue, this memorabilia magazine could provide information on upcomming auction to reputable companies.

For example? Well, WE all know how Meigray was auctioning off the jerseys from the NBA finals. We im certain that not THAT many people outside of this forum have even heard of Meigray. I know I havent, until I joined GUU. If the average joe (who is a Cavs fan) goes to the magazine section in wal-mart and comes across this memorabilia magazine, he may pick it up and flip through it. He may read all the interesting articles in the magazine and keep flipping until he comes to the "upcomming auction" section. This is where he learns that Meigray will be auctioning off his favorite players NBA fianls jersey (Lebron). Thus, Meigray just picked up another bidder.

I really hope someone steps up and comes out with this magazine within the next month! I'll keep a look out!

Anyone else have good info to add to this potential memorabilia magazine??

murfsteve25
06-18-2009, 12:20 AM
I ment Kobe obviously because Lebron wasnt in the finals. I caught my mistake too late tho...:o

both-teams-played-hard
06-18-2009, 01:30 AM
I think the idea of a game used magazine is good. But...the newspaper industry is at its lowest point EVER, and periodicals are close behind. Information is instantly available on the internet and you don't have to wait for any ink to dry. This forum, as well as MEARSONLINE, offers the best current hobby news out there. I have three words for you: ess, cee and dee.;)

kylehess10
06-18-2009, 01:55 AM
It would be awesome for a magazine to come out that is similar to Beckett. I would love to see one that is mainly focused on game-used memorabilia.

Haven't you seen Beckett Elite? It was more intended for the vintage game used industry, but still, it was a game used magazine. I stopped recieving the issues last year, so I'm not even sure if it's still in existence?

murfsteve25
06-18-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm guessing SCD is sports collectors digest? They have good info as well, im just kinda looking for more than what they offer. As far as Beckett elite, ill have to check that out. But i remember buying a magazine not too long ago. I dont think that it was specifically for game used, maybe it was just a special edition type. I forget what the magazine was called but on the cover was a bunch of vintage Yankees stuff. It said" the greatest yankees memorabilia ever sold" or something along those lines. It was pretty interesting. Lost of photos and price guides. Tons of vintage Yankees items. I just bought this book online the other day called "legendary yankee stadium memories and memorabilia". I'm hoping that its good. Dont tell me if its not!

cohibasmoker
06-18-2009, 06:37 AM
How about "aeneas01" and "helmets" writing a book about vintage helmets? Most of their threads reads like stereo instructions so I would hope that there would be a lot of pictures.

Jim

gatorcollector
06-18-2009, 07:46 AM
How about "aeneas01" and "helmets" writing a book about vintage helmets? Most of their threads reads like stereo instructions so I would hope that there would be a lot of pictures.

:D

5kRunner
06-18-2009, 08:28 AM
i remember buying a magazine not too long ago. I dont think that it was specifically for game used, maybe it was just a special edition type. I forget what the magazine was called but on the cover was a bunch of vintage Yankees stuff. It said" the greatest yankees memorabilia ever sold" or something along those lines.

That was Beckett Elite. It was the last issue. I received a letter last fall explaining that Beckett Elite was being discontinued.

I agree with BTPH. Periodicals are a thing of the past. With iPhones, smartphones, etc. there is no need to carry periodicals to read.

With the Kindle, Books aren't far behind either.