PDA

View Full Version : OT Yankees vs. Red Sox

mr.miracle
06-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Just to ask an objective question if we can do so, I personally don't have a dog in this fight as I dislike both teams equally as an Orioles fan, but a friend of mine who admittedly is not unbiased being from the Boston area is complaining that Mike and Mike on ESPN named the Yankees as the #1 MLB franchise of all time. Again, I dislike the Yankees but I would love to hear anybody attempt to argue that the Red Sox or any other team for that matter has over their history been equally successful or more successful than the Yankees. I would suggest that you are smoking somthing but please have at it. I just don't think this is even a discussion. Yankees 26 world titles, 39 AL Pennents, Red Sox 7 WS & 12 AL Pennents. I am not arguing over any specific time period such as for instance the 80's when the Yankees were very much down, but historically over both of their histories. So please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

mr.miracle
06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I think that the more valid argument that actually got that discussion going was when John "I never met a stat I did not like" Hollinger at ESPN recently listed the Lakers as the #1 franchise in NBA history over the Celtics at #2. As a die-hard Lakers fan, I would say this is extremely close based on team historical wins, # of times in the playoffs for each franchise, total championships won, # of HOF players, # of finals appearances and in general would make for a much more intelligent and spirited debate. Here is the link by the way to that column.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FranchiseRankings-Lakers

Perhaps I should have started another thread for this one because I don't see much of an arguement on the Yankees Red Sox but do see a good argument either way on this one.

bigtime59
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Just to ask an objective question if we can do so, I personally don't have a dog in this fight as I dislike both teams equally as an Orioles fan, but a friend of mine who admittedly is not unbiased being from the Boston area is complaining that Mike and Mike on ESPN named the Yankees as the #1 MLB franchise of all time. Again, I dislike the Yankees but I would love to hear anybody attempt to argue that the Red Sox or any other team for that matter has over their history been equally successful or more successful than the Yankees. I would suggest that you are smoking somthing but please have at it. I just don't think this is even a discussion. Yankees 26 world titles, 39 AL Pennents, Red Sox 7 WS & 12 AL Pennents. I am not arguing over any specific time period such as for instance the 80's when the Yankees were very much down, but historically over both of their histories. So please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,

There is no argument. It's the Yankee$ by a landslide...a landslide of cash!
For the last 85 years or so, MLB has run a series of 100-yard dashes. The Yankee$, because of their absurdly large cash advantage, usually startthat dash around the 70-yard marker.
Given their financial dominance, and all that entails, the Yankee$--absent incompetence (CBS ownership era) or insanity (much of George III)--should never miss the playoffs. Never.