PDA

View Full Version : walker usfl jersey confusion

banny
05-11-2006, 02:36 PM
hi,just found this forum.hope you guys can help me. i own a road white usfl herschel walker jersey which i purchased from gridiron collectibles(ri usa) in mid '90s for $500. the jersey was sold as game worn and mike,the owner of gridiron told me that he had purchased it at the national convention in chicago and had it autographed at a later date. i was always a big walker fan,so i wanted the jersey but i was always a little leery about the game used part.i have read so much conflicting advice that i just don't know who to believe. i wrote phil wood,a game used columnist for scd in the late 90's and sent him a picture. he wrote and told me that although he couldn't authenticate by a photo, the font and lettering looked correct.(the lettering on my jersey is narrow and each letter is not more than 1.5inches apart.) then i read jim yackle's latest scd column and he says all authentic general's gamers have wide spacing between letters. i looked at an example of a walker jersey for sale on his website and the lettering is far apart. then i go on lou lampson american memoribila and there is an example of an narrow spaced lettering home walker uslf jersey rated 100% authentic lou lampson. also, my jerseys sleeves end just below the #34. in most pictures,the sleeves extend almost to elbow and show champion logo. however there is an si cover of walker in a usfl jersey(home) with shorter sleeves. the champion tagging on the jersey is xl and is correct with all exemplars i've seen. there are several repair marks on the jersey. guys,all i want to know,once and for all is did walker have this on his back at one time. where should i go to find out? thanks so much for any help you can give me. sincerely,banny

both-teams-played-hard
05-11-2006, 05:35 PM
First off, Jim Yackle's opinion and information will ALWAYS outweigh that of Lou Lampson. Photos of these repair marks would help. Do they look fabricated? Is there wear on the inside (piling and scuffs from shoulder pads)? Have you compared your shirt to a NJ Generals' common player shirt?

WOODFERN
05-14-2006, 05:32 PM
As The First Email Recommended, I Would Contact Jim Yackel On This. He Would Be Able To Help You On This Jersey. As Far As Lou Lampson, His Loa`s Are Not Worth The Paper They Are Written On. I`ll Leave It At That. I Do Remember The Generals Jerseys Were Made By Champion And That The Spacing On The Name Was Wide Between The Letters, Just Like Jim Shows In A Picture His Article In Scd. Hope This Helps.

both-teams-played-hard
05-14-2006, 06:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/USFL-New-Jersey-Generals-game-used-football-jersey_W0QQitemZ210000131265QQcategoryZ37753QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

banny
05-15-2006, 11:09 AM
hi all, i emailed jim yackle concerning his position that all n.j.general gamers had wide spaces between the letters in the player's name. i told him that i had a book called the herschel walker story by jeff prugh,in which the cover photo shows walker in a generals road uni with lettering close together.(similar to mine) mr.yackle said that although he has only handled generals jerseys with the wide spaced lettering, it is entirely possible that some players did wear the other type. he cited a game photo he had seen of doug flutie handing off to walker,in which walker was wearing the wide spaced version but one of the linemen was wearing the type i have. i googled usfl and found a site which shows many photos,some of which show the narrow version as well as the wide spaced. mr. yackle reiterated that he does not authenticate jerseys at the retail level but i would like to thank him publicly for his kindness and quick response to my emails. the alteration of the sleeves is now more of a glitch to me than the lettering but i guess because usfl was played in spring, maybe if it is authentic,walker altered the sleeves due to warmer weather. in any case,i will enjoy the jersey as is. thanks to all. banny.