PDA

View Full Version : Penguins Win!

JasonBanz
06-13-2009, 08:52 PM
No thread made for the Penguins win in Hockeytown! As a Penguins fan I am stoked! Anyone else happy?

Texans
06-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I just started following hockey. It was a great series and Im glad the Pens won. Im glad all the expert were wrong about game 7

Jojo

jobathenut
06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes,i am happy right along with you.As a pittsburgh steelers/penguins fan i was thrilled to see them win the cup.I am a penguins fan,but i have to admit based on the games in detriot(especially that game 5 blowout) i did'nt think they were going to win.And i am most happy they won because one of my favorite players gets his name on the cup-alex goligoski.He played his college hockey for the team that me and my brother follow and we go to almost every home game and some road games.So i got to see him play alot and just love the way he plays the game.And i became a big fan of his.i was so happy to see that the penguins drafted him and when he got to play for them.And my brother just emailed me a picture of goli holding the cup and to see him get to hold the cup was something.I was a fan of another player of the peguins,toby petersen.He played his high school hockey here and i really hated to see the penguins let him go from the team.Anyways,thanks for starting this thread.I was going to start a thread about it on here.But there isn't alot of hockey fans on this site.So thanks for doing this.And klnow you are not alone as i'm right there with you celebrating this.The super bowl and the stanley cup in the same season.Forget about boston-pittsburgh 'THE CITY OF CHAMPIONS".:)

JasonBanz
06-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes,i am happy right along with you.As a pittsburgh steelers/penguins fan i was thrilled to see them win the cup.I am a penguins fan,but i have to admit based on the games in detriot(especially that game 5 blowout) i did'nt think they were going to win.And i am most happy they won because one of my favorite players gets his name on the cup-alex goligoski.He played his college hockey for the team that me and my brother follow and we go to almost every home game and some road games.So i got to see him play alot and just love the way he plays the game.And i became a big fan of his.i was so happy to see that the penguins drafted him and when he got to play for them.And my brother just emailed me a picture of goli holding the cup and to see him get to hold the cup was something.I was a fan of another player of the peguins,toby petersen.He played his high school hockey here and i really hated to see the penguins let him go from the team.Anyways,thanks for starting this thread.I was going to start a thread about it on here.But there isn't alot of hockey fans on this site.So thanks for doing this.And klnow you are not alone as i'm right there with you celebrating this.The super bowl and the stanley cup in the same season.Forget about boston-pittsburgh 'THE CITY OF CHAMPIONS".:)

Cool story joba! I grew up a Penguins fan because my Dad was one. I still root for all the teams he roots for. Dolphins, Orioles, Penguins, and the Maryland Terrapins. I remember being young and seeing the Penguins hoist the cup in the early 90's. And then grew up rooting but not really watching. Then last year really sparked my enthusiasm for hockey. Unfortunatly I work 4-12 shift and really didn't get to see many games this season and post season. I was on vacation during the Caps series and got to really enjoy that. I followed a few of the games on the internet at work through ESPN. And watched one on justin.tv. Missed last nights win but the wife set the dvr for me! Overall a great win for the Penguins. I was watching Barry Melrose on ESPN say that Detroit was going to take it in game 6. After game 2 I thought he was right. I caught some hope when the came back to tie the series at 2-2. After the game 5 slaughter I thought it was done and Detroit was winning in Pittsburgh. I was stoked to see Crosby hoist the cup in "Hockeytown"

jobathenut
06-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks,and thank you for the great story.It's funny,because i am a yankees fan the same reason you're a penguins fan.My dad was a yankees fan and that made me a yankees fan.And now me and my brother carry on that love for the yankees for him.Which included a sentimental first ever seeing them play in person road trip in cleveland a couple years ago and felt that our dad was with us there.Seeing them play in person was something my dad always wanted to do but never got the chance to.So we took the trip and did that for him.Anyways,back to the penguins.I always hated the penguins until they drafed toby to play for them.I remember watching them beat the north stars in the stanley cup and man did i hate them.It's funny,how now i love them cause they have players on the team that i love.All i can say about last nights game,thank goodness that wings player did'nt get anymore lift on that last shot with the puck.And the funny thing is also,that i'm a wings fan.So i was torn on who to vote for.But i was only a wings fan when hasek played for them.But even last season,cause they benched hasek cause he gave up 3 goals in one game.I cheered the penguins to win.But i would'nt have been upset as i was'nt last year if the wings won.It's not like if the red sux's beat the yankees.It was rare for me to have a series with both teams that i like.But i have to say,aint nothing better than to win a championship on the road in front of thier fans.I was surprised with the booing,as i don't remember the penguins fans doing that last season.:)
Cool story joba! I grew up a Penguins fan because my Dad was one. I still root for all the teams he roots for. Dolphins, Orioles, Penguins, and the Maryland Terrapins. I remember being young and seeing the Penguins hoist the cup in the early 90's. And then grew up rooting but not really watching. Then last year really sparked my enthusiasm for hockey. Unfortunatly I work 4-12 shift and really didn't get to see many games this season and post season. I was on vacation during the Caps series and got to really enjoy that. I followed a few of the games on the internet at work through ESPN. And watched one on justin.tv. Missed last nights win but the wife set the dvr for me! Overall a great win for the Penguins. I was watching Barry Melrose on ESPN say that Detroit was going to take it in game 6. After game 2 I thought he was right. I caught some hope when the came back to tie the series at 2-2. After the game 5 slaughter I thought it was done and Detroit was winning in Pittsburgh. I was stoked to see Crosby hoist the cup in "Hockeytown"

JasonBanz
06-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks,and thank you for the great story.It's funny,because i am a yankees fan the same reason you're a penguins fan.My dad was a yankees fan and that made me a yankees fan.And now me and my brother carry on that love for the yankees for him.Which included a sentimental first ever seeing them play in person road trip in cleveland a couple years ago and felt that our dad was with us there.Seeing them play in person was something my dad always wanted to do but never got the chance to.So we took the trip and did that for him.Anyways,back to the penguins.I always hated the penguins until they drafed toby to play for them.I remember watching them beat the north stars in the stanley cup and man did i hate them.It's funny,how now i love them cause they have players on the team that i love.All i can say about last nights game,thank goodness that wings player did'nt get anymore lift on that last shot with the puck.And the funny thing is also,that i'm a wings fan.So i was torn on who to vote for.But i was only a wings fan when hasek played for them.But even last season,cause they benched hasek cause he gave up 3 goals in one game.I cheered the penguins to win.But i would'nt have been upset as i was'nt last year if the wings won.It's not like if the red sux's beat the yankees.It was rare for me to have a series with both teams that i like.But i have to say,aint nothing better than to win a championship on the road in front of thier fans.I was surprised with the booing,as i don't remember the penguins fans doing that last season.:)
Another cool story there joba. Although as an Orioles fan it is safe to say I can't stand the Yankees:p ! Sorry to hear your Dad wasn't able to see the Yankees play. But its nice to hear you were able to take the sentimental trip for him. I've been lucky enough to see all my teams with my Dad. 5 Dolphins games(with a trip planned to Miami this fall), 2 Orioles games, 1 Penguins game, and 2 Maryland Terrapin football games. As you can see we tend to follow the Dolphins a little more. Anyway, I cannot stand the Red Wings. I couldn't stand them in the 90's and certainly couldn't stand to see them hoist the cup in Pittsburgh last year! I guess you can say I hate them as much as the Caps and Flyers. So to see a win in Detroit was great! Especially since all home games were won by the home team, except game 7. Fluery really surprised me last night. I was talking about how much of a bum he was in the Caps series and the Red Wings series. Especially game 5 :mad: . But he proved that he is one of the best goalies in the league. He just scares me a little bit when he retrieves the puck behind the net with a few Red Wings around. And hey, atleast when he sat on the puck this series he didn't score a goal :D

skyking26
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I live outside Detroit... Just another failure here, whether it be the economy or sports. I knew we were in trouble when they could not put it away in Pittsburgh. Game 7 was a laugher for Detroit, total embarrassment. Outskated, outplayed by younger men. The dynasty is over in Detroit.............time to rebuild.

RK

BergerKing22784
06-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Im happy the Penguins won, I really dont follow hockey but if they say who is your favorite team I will claim the Penguins because they were good on the Sega I always used Mario Lemiux and Jagr to win haha...

But now to my real point... I really do get so upset when I hear people are Penguins and Steelers fans. Im upset because nobody claims the Pirates..... As far as I know that team has been there longer and nobody from that area claims them... Its easy to claim the winning teams isnt it?!

orioles03
06-13-2009, 10:54 PM
i'm a caps fan so after they lost to the pens i could care less i think the pens caps series was better than the finals .now ovi needs to get a ring next year there almost there

jobathenut
06-13-2009, 11:04 PM
jason.this is great posting with you-I love talking about my dad and it sounds like you have the same relationship i had with my dad.Ain't nothing better than cheering with him in sports.We were really not homers,so all the teams we liked were in differnet states.So seeing them play in person was tough.Like we both loved nascar,and theres no tracks where we are.He was a dale sr fan and i was a rusty wallace fan.So we were able to realize a dream of going to a race in 1997 in michigan and then the next year at the brickyard.But were'nt able to make it to another race.But those two memories of me and him going to those races will always be with me.So i can really appreciate your story.And i realize being a fan of the evil empire,i'm used to the hate,especially from baltimore.That kid still makes you guys mad.And as a steelers fan,your dolphins have one of my favorites that the steelers were stubid to let go-joey porter.I have made trips to pittsburgh to see my steelers play and in 1999 and 2000 was able to see the penguins play.And in the 2000 game toby petersen was playing and i had glass tickets and i was wearing his high school jersey,man did he love that.I was hoping he would give me his stick,but no luck.I tried to go every year to pittsburgh but cause of money being tough,i havent been there since 2006.I am a huge hurricanes football fan.Well was,cause with that new coach is coker.That new guy sure makes it tough to be a fan.As it's tough to cheer a losing team.But that's the measure of a true fan.Anyone can cheer for a winner,but if you can cheer threw the losing season than you're a fan of the team.You hate the yankees,you hate the wings.i still like you though.I remember when me and my mom were in pittsbugh the summer of 2005 and our cab driver going to the aiport leaving our hotel.And he was going on and on about this kid that penguins just drafted and how that was going to bring hockey back to life in pittsburgh.Man,i would love to go to pittsburgh and ran into that guy and say,"you were right".Because back then they were very close to losing that team and mario (i'll use your word,i hate him)saved the team.And sure made the picks to do that.Starting with fluery and building on him.I just hope they are able to keep most of the team.As free agency has ruined most of the other sports.Theres no such thing as dinastys anymore cause of that.Yeah that was brutal when he sat on the puck and it scored.:)
Another cool story there joba. Although as an Orioles fan it is safe to say I can't stand the Yankees:p ! Sorry to hear your Dad wasn't able to see the Yankees play. But its nice to hear you were able to take the sentimental trip for him. I've been lucky enough to see all my teams with my Dad. 5 Dolphins games(with a trip planned to Miami this fall), 2 Orioles games, 1 Penguins game, and 2 Maryland Terrapin football games. As you can see we tend to follow the Dolphins a little more. Anyway, I cannot stand the Red Wings. I couldn't stand them in the 90's and certainly couldn't stand to see them hoist the cup in Pittsburgh last year! I guess you can say I hate them as much as the Caps and Flyers. So to see a win in Detroit was great! Especially since all home games were won by the home team, except game 7. Fluery really surprised me last night. I was talking about how much of a bum he was in the Caps series and the Red Wings series. Especially game 5 :mad: . But he proved that he is one of the best goalies in the league. He just scares me a little bit when he retrieves the puck behind the net with a few Red Wings around. And hey, atleast when he sat on the puck this series he didn't score a goal :D

Mr.3000
06-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I really don't have a hockey team..per se. But I do like the TB Lightning. I have nothing to cheer about.

lol - seriously.

JasonBanz
06-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I live outside Detroit... Just another failure here, whether it be the economy or sports. I knew we were in trouble when they could not put it away in Pittsburgh. Game 7 was a laugher for Detroit, total embarrassment. Outskated, outplayed by younger men. The dynasty is over in Detroit.............time to rebuild.

RK

In defense of the Red Wings, I don't think you should use embarrassment and Detroit in the same sentence unless you talking about the Lions :D

JasonBanz
06-14-2009, 08:54 AM
jason.this is great posting with you-I love talking about my dad and it sounds like you have the same relationship i had with my dad.Ain't nothing better than cheering with him in sports.We were really not homers,so all the teams we liked were in differnet states.So seeing them play in person was tough.Like we both loved nascar,and theres no tracks where we are.He was a dale sr fan and i was a rusty wallace fan.So we were able to realize a dream of going to a race in 1997 in michigan and then the next year at the brickyard.But were'nt able to make it to another race.But those two memories of me and him going to those races will always be with me.So i can really appreciate your story.And i realize being a fan of the evil empire,i'm used to the hate,especially from baltimore.That kid still makes you guys mad.And as a steelers fan,your dolphins have one of my favorites that the steelers were stubid to let go-joey porter.I have made trips to pittsburgh to see my steelers play and in 1999 and 2000 was able to see the penguins play.And in the 2000 game toby petersen was playing and i had glass tickets and i was wearing his high school jersey,man did he love that.I was hoping he would give me his stick,but no luck.I tried to go every year to pittsburgh but cause of money being tough,i havent been there since 2006.I am a huge hurricanes football fan.Well was,cause with that new coach is coker.That new guy sure makes it tough to be a fan.As it's tough to cheer a losing team.But that's the measure of a true fan.Anyone can cheer for a winner,but if you can cheer threw the losing season than you're a fan of the team.You hate the yankees,you hate the wings.i still like you though.I remember when me and my mom were in pittsbugh the summer of 2005 and our cab driver going to the aiport leaving our hotel.And he was going on and on about this kid that penguins just drafted and how that was going to bring hockey back to life in pittsburgh.Man,i would love to go to pittsburgh and ran into that guy and say,"you were right".Because back then they were very close to losing that team and mario (i'll use your word,i hate him)saved the team.And sure made the picks to do that.Starting with fluery and building on him.I just hope they are able to keep most of the team.As free agency has ruined most of the other sports.Theres no such thing as dinastys anymore cause of that.Yeah that was brutal when he sat on the puck and it scored.:)

Thanks Joba. Instead of saying I love you, my Dad and I talk sports and work. Mostly football. Every Sunday Autumn afternoon we sit and watch the Dolphins. We even have our own tradition. He has 2 chairs in his basement. We don't dare change chairs because the Dolphins were winning with out seating arrangement :D . I had him come to my house to watch the playoff game in HD, hinting at him to get it and they lost. Coincidence? I don't think so! We live close enough to see the Orioles and the Terrapins so its not a problem to see either of them. We never were a family that got into NASCAR though. I do agree with you though. I enjoy talking about my Dad and sports.

hrvatwill
06-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I am ecstatic, what an unexpected thrill. Red Wings are tough and will be back next year though (maybe a third straight rematch?), so no end of a dynasty there but all hail the arrival of Marian "No"ssa: "No" goals and "No" cup. That was a sweet sub-plot of the series. Perhaps the best part of it all for me now is that the Pirates can't do anything to hurt me this summer. With a Steelers Super Bowl and now a Pens Stanley Cup, the inevitable record breaking 17th losing season in a row doesn't seem to matter that much anymore.

sox83cubs84
06-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Glad to see Crosby & Co. take the Cup. I'm waiting for the Blackhawks' turn (which will be soon).

Dave M.
Chicago area