PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions On A Mock-Up Player LOA

TriplexXxSports
06-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a GU item that I was going to take into the player along with some pics for a photo match. I want the player to sign off on a LOA and I'm looking to see what you guys think of the LOA so far.

Please, all questions and comments are need - Good or Bad!

Gameusedfan1
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Very nice, I hope the player will sign it for you. Maybe you could try to add a picture of the item somewhere on the LOA also, just to make sure its the exact item.

TriplexXxSports
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I should add that the LOA, as well as the item will be hologram'd. I would like to get some pics of the item on the LOA but I do not want to sacrifice photo quality.

Assuming all goes as planned, the LOA, 6 pages of photos, as well as the other accompanying information, will be put in a folder designated for this particular item.

mattmueller
06-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I am not sure the venue you wish to have this done in, and perhaps I am way too cynical and look for the worst, but why would a player even consider signing that? Why would they be willing to take on any sort of liability that he is vouching for the authenticity of whatever you are putting in front of him? If I am the player, no matter what sort of photos or evidence you put in front of me, I would have a hard time taking on the potential liability of putting my name on paper associated with certification of anything. Or further, associating myself with a company (yours) that I likely know nothing about. My upside (as the player) is limited to - I am a nice guy. My downside, is you forged the whole thing, sell it on ebay, and I, having the deepest pockets of anybody involved and having certified it as authentic, am the subject of a lawsuit down the road. That seems to be an unbalanced risk for the player.

Also, and perhaps this is the most important, if you have all the evidence required to get the player comfortable with him signing a certification for you, why do you even need the certification? What do you gain?

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just my thoughts/questions.

cordovacollector
06-10-2009, 06:46 PM
It's a good idea ... but for me it is too gaudy with self-promotion. I'd tone it down. And get a proofreader to go over it for grammar errors, etc. For example, the use of "myself" is incorrect.

To me the more "gaudy" the less likely a player will sign because it looks like a promotion of yourself to make money off the item ... not to add it to a collection. Try to look more professional, not promotional.

And I would sure insist that the most definite photoMATCH (not style) image be directly on the page the player is signing. Anything on the next 6 or 100 pages isn't legit. to the signature. Maybe in place of one of your three logos.

But I think you're on the start to doing a good thing.

TriplexXxSports
06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I just whipped one up on a generic letterhead, and yes, it has our logo all over it. It does look a little 'self promoting' the more I look at it. (FYI that is not my intention in the least) I have made some alterations, minimized the wording, and fixed the grammar - ;)

I have 6 8x10 photos clearly showing each specific mark that I used for photomatching. If I put 6 images on the LOA they will have to be downsized and the details of each mark will be decreased, or less definitive.

I want the player to clearly see the marks in the photo's and be able to compare each one to the item itself in great detail. That way there is no room for question. I want him to be absolutely 100% sure that it is an EXACT MATCH.

I see what is being said with the whole '...doesn't matter what is on the next 6 or 100 pages...' but I don't know how I can do both on the same page without making a 16x20 LOA -:D

cordovacollector
06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
This is a stretch and pushing the players' patience, but getting the player to initial and date each photo help make them a legal attachment. But remember, simple is better. Try making the watermark as light as you can to have it be seen, not distracting.

Feel free to email me copy for an unpaid, quick glance for proofreading. Or just post it here, then you'll have many more eyes helping!

TriplexXxSports
06-10-2009, 07:55 PM
This is a stretch and pushing the players' patience, but getting the player to initial and date each photo help make them a legal attachment. But remember, simple is better. Try making the watermark as light as you can to have it be seen, not distracting.

Feel free to email me copy for an unpaid, quick glance for proofreading. Or just post it here, then you'll have many more eyes helping!

That watermarks prints almost invisible. I know it looks darker in the jpeg I posted, but it is all in the picture. The printed copy is fine.

I'm going to play around with it tonite and see if I can work the pics in somehow. I really don't think that the initials & date thing can work. We will be pressed for time as it is, and YES - simple=better.

xpress34
06-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Attached is an example of the COAs I have been working on for the items in my collection - including pictures. The picture was scanned from the original 8 x 10 and then attached to the COA.

I print them out on Matte Finish Photo Paper.... it is heavier in weight and shows the photos well.

- Chris

TriplexXxSports
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
So here is a revised copy. I was able to work photos of the item into the LOA. I didn't sacrifice much quality in the images, so I think that it will work. I also tried to minimize the 'self promo' look.

Any thoughts?

cordovacollector
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Much better, but I still would take it to a copy editor / proofreader for a more professional look as long as you are going to so much other work to make this as good as it can be.

jobathenut
06-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm sorry triple x,but i have to agree with matt.I really don't see a player signing this.It's been my experience that a player hates to sign a autograph if they know it's for sale.Let alone having them sign a loa,that bascially proves it's for sale.Because if it's for your collection,then why would need such a document to be signed? Like i said,i hate to go against your idea.As you've been nice to me with the ken dorsey jesey a while back.As it was your advice that got me not to buy the jersey.I just don't see any player doing this for you.:(
I am not sure the venue you wish to have this done in, and perhaps I am way too cynical and look for the worst, but why would a player even consider signing that? Why would they be willing to take on any sort of liability that he is vouching for the authenticity of whatever you are putting in front of him? If I am the player, no matter what sort of photos or evidence you put in front of me, I would have a hard time taking on the potential liability of putting my name on paper associated with certification of anything. Or further, associating myself with a company (yours) that I likely know nothing about. My upside (as the player) is limited to - I am a nice guy. My downside, is you forged the whole thing, sell it on ebay, and I, having the deepest pockets of anybody involved and having certified it as authentic, am the subject of a lawsuit down the road. That seems to be an unbalanced risk for the player.

Also, and perhaps this is the most important, if you have all the evidence required to get the player comfortable with him signing a certification for you, why do you even need the certification? What do you gain?

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just my thoughts/questions.

spartakid
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
I would have to agree, there are so many reasons why a player wouldn't/thinks he shouldn't sign it versus the positives, which there really are none for him other than just being nice. Ricardo

David
06-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I would think the best chance to get the player to sign it is to have it as short, simple and basic as possible. Just a straight foreward sentence or two on a plain piece of paper or even an index card.. The simpler in design and text the better.

TriplexXxSports
06-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback folks. It may not be exactly what I want hear, but it is honest, and I appreciate that.

One thing that I want to throw out there:

1) By no way, shape, or form, is this item EVER going to be resold. This is for my personal collection. - MY HOLY GRAIL!

Why do I even need a Player LOA then? Because I am anal as all hell when it comes to 'MY' items. I want it so therefore I am willing to go through the trouble of trying to obtain it.

I am working with Schwartz & MM, as well as someone close to Brian, to find out whether Brian will even consider signing it. That way I know before the show if it is even worth the trip.

I completely agree with some of the comments about why an athlete would not sign a LOA like this but I feel it is worth giving it a shot. The worst thing that can happen is Brian says no, and I get to visit with him anyway.....:D

Thanks Again

34swtns
06-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Quick opinion:

You don't need that LOA.....at all.
The uniform aand JO's cert speak for themselves. It doesn't get any more rock-solid that that.

Just a suggestion........make the trip and have Brian sign the back of the jersey. I know some purists hate auto's on jerseys: I happen to think they're effing awesome. Especially if I get to see the deal go down.
And like you said, you don't plan on selling it so who cares what the so-called purists think. Get that jersey signed!

TriplexXxSports
06-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks,

But unless Brian will give me his FULL sig, there is no way that a marker is getting even close to that jersey!

sportscentury
06-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Many players do not care about their game used items, or what they sign. I've seen players sign LOAs similar to this. The worst that happens is he says no and you get your money back from the host. I'm not saying that I would be surprised if he refused, as I've seen that happen, as well ... and certainly some players would immediately object. Perhaps it's not worth it to you to try if there is a risk that the player will refuse. But to assume that no player would sign an LOA like this does not make good sense to me. Different people have different attitudes about things, and therefore behave differently in the same situation.

Dewey2007
06-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Like the others have said your best bet is to simplify it as much as possible and more so I think you would want to remove anything that says Triple xXx Sports. Even the background logo you have on the LOA. This will give the player IMO the idea that you are affiliated with some sports memorabilia company and this item is going to be sold in the future even if that is not at all your intention.

Just put a nice border around the text and jersey photos you have and tell him that you would like him to sign this because you want to frame it with the jersey or something like that. Maybe you can do a Chicago Bears helmet border or background photo or something like that. Try to come up with a document that comes off as more "fan" then "re-sell".

Good luck!
Dewey

David
06-13-2009, 01:56 PM
If the player hesitates at signing a document, you can ask him if he will inscribe the jersey as 'game used' under his signature.

Mr.3000
06-13-2009, 02:03 PM
If the player hesitates at signing a document, you can ask him if he will inscribe the jersey as 'game used' under his signature.

I don't know about ecveryone else....but that's the one thing that keeps me from buyng a TON of pieces. I personally can't stand inscriptions, epsecially "game use". If I can't tell the item was game used by looking it over, then I shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't need the "game used" written all over it. And I certainly don't look to impress anyone with items, so I don't need "game used" written on it for anyone elses benefit.

Not sure if having the player inscribe "game used" is a new practice, but it certainly detracts from the item IMHO.

Just my .02 on the "game used" inscription.

David
06-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I understand and appreciate the sentiments, and understand some people don't even want a gu game or jersey signed. However, many buyers like the game used inscription as it indicates the player believed or knew it was game used. I'm not offering an opinion about who is right and who is wrong.

TriplexXxSports
06-13-2009, 09:33 PM
I will not be getting a signature or an inscription on the jersey. If I cannot get the LOA signed then I have to live with what I have.

Getting a signature/inscription on a jersey limits the way it can be displayed. A GU shirt with wear on both sides needs to be able to be displayed that way. If it is signed on one side it limits the the way it can be displayed.

TriplexXxSports
06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
With everyone's comments in hand, I think I am at my FINAL DRAFT. Y or N?

Dewey2007
06-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Looks good although I still don't think you need any mention of Triple xXx sports on the COA unless you just feel the absolute need to include it on there. Also, I don't think having your signature is needed next to his either. I think it will just create some doubt as to what he is signing.

I think if you removed those two things and left it as is I think it looks great. Just stress to him that you created this for him to sign instead of the jersey for the reasons you mentioned previously.

skinsfan0521
06-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I agree with it not being necessary to have your signature or anything about your company name. If you were going to sell the item (which I know you aren't), then I'd have a mention of a company name. But since it's just for your collection all you should need is to have the details and him to sign it.

Also, you have it saying "MLB" by Urlacher's name... obviously you know the problem with that. haha

Good luck!

-Brian

Mauer7
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM
There is no problem with "MLB" it stands for MIDDLE LINEBACKER.

I agree with it not being necessary to have your signature or anything about your company name. If you were going to sell the item (which I know you aren't), then I'd have a mention of a company name. But since it's just for your collection all you should need is to have the details and him to sign it.

Also, you have it saying "MLB" by Urlacher's name... obviously you know the problem with that. haha

Good luck!

-Brian

skinsfan0521
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
There is no problem with "MLB" it stands for MIDDLE LINEBACKER.
Yes, but is that what he was meaning by that? I was assuming that since for his signature, he had his name plus the company name, not like "Matthew, CEO TripleXXXSports". I don't know ... I obviously know that MLB is middle linebacker, but I thought he intended to have it say NFL, but I could certainly be wrong.

Either way, if meaning to have it say MLB, that seems a little weird to me because of the example I gave above.

Just my .02

-Brian