PDA

View Full Version : Question about the value of an ENTIRE NFL UNIFORM (game used)

skinsfan0521
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I know that most people on here aren't into NFL stuff, but I'm hoping that I can get an opinion on the value of an entire game used NFL uniform that I'm thinking about getting.

I know Chris Snee (NY Giants Pro Bowl OL) from high school and I've arranged for me to be able to buy an entire game used uniform (Helmet, jersey, pants, cleats, gloves) of his. I've got a few of his game used items (couple jerseys, pair of gloves, pair of cleats) that I've bought from the Giants and eBay, but I'm not really all that sure about what the value of this uniform would be?

I'm able to pick what game I'd like the uniform from and I'm thinking that I'll get the one from the Giants @ Redskins in December of this year since I'll most likely be at that game. So, does the specific game have anything to do with the value of the uniform? Obviously if something really spectacular happens in that game, it would increase the value, but I'm talking about just the fact that it's a Giants vs Redskins game and not having any idea what will actually happen during the game.

Also, does the fact that it's an entire uniform have anything to do with the value? Does that increase the value or not really? And I obviously don't know what the items will look like when I get them, but I'm assuming that if it can be photomatched that they were worn in several games of that year that would increase the value as well?

I'm just wondering on the value for my own personal collection, because I don't plan on ever selling this...ever! But, in the same breath, I know that some people will respond with comments about how if it's for my collection then it's worth "whatever I'd be willing to pay", etc., etc. That's not what I'm looking for, I'm just curious what a uniform of a Pro Bowl linemen for the Giants would be worth regardless of wheather or not it's being locked into my personal collection forever.

Thank you VERY much in advance to anybody who wouldn't mind posting their thougts on this!! Let me know if you need any more details or have any more questions and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

-Brian

TriplexXxSports
06-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I know that most people on here aren't into NFL stuff, but I'm hoping that I can get an opinion on the value of an entire game used NFL uniform that I'm thinking about getting.

I know Chris Snee (NY Giants Pro Bowl OL) from high school and I've arranged for me to be able to buy an entire game used uniform (Helmet, jersey, pants, cleats, gloves) of his. I've got a few of his game used items (couple jerseys, pair of gloves, pair of cleats) that I've bought from the Giants and eBay, but I'm not really all that sure about what the value of this uniform would be?

I'm able to pick what game I'd like the uniform from and I'm thinking that I'll get the one from the Giants @ Redskins in December of this year since I'll most likely be at that game. So, does the specific game have anything to do with the value of the uniform? Obviously if something really spectacular happens in that game, it would increase the value, but I'm talking about just the fact that it's a Giants vs Redskins game and not having any idea what will actually happen during the game.

Also, does the fact that it's an entire uniform have anything to do with the value? Does that increase the value or not really? And I obviously don't know what the items will look like when I get them, but I'm assuming that if it can be photomatched that they were worn in several games of that year that would increase the value as well?

I'm just wondering on the value for my own personal collection, because I don't plan on ever selling this...ever! But, in the same breath, I know that some people will respond with comments about how if it's for my collection then it's worth "whatever I'd be willing to pay", etc., etc. That's not what I'm looking for, I'm just curious what a uniform of a Pro Bowl linemen for the Giants would be worth regardless of wheather or not it's being locked into my personal collection forever.

Thank you VERY much in advance to anybody who wouldn't mind posting their thougts on this!! Let me know if you need any more details or have any more questions and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

-Brian

A uniform/jersey will obtain value if it is from a significant game or contain a significant patch or identifier. i.e. - Teams wore the GU patch for the first game of last season on the left breast. Since that patch was only used for that first game (in most teams case) that would add value since it was only worn once.

Another thing that would cause an increase in value is if it's a throwback uniform. The Bears wear an Orange Alternate uniform for only 1 game each season. I know the Jets did, and I'm sure other teams do as well.

Being a 'complete' uniform will raise the value since most teams will not allow a full uniform to leave the locker room.

For an A List player a uniform can be valued between 5K - 10K for recent years. Mostly dependent on what someone is willing to pay for it.

I personally think that the ability to be photomatched doesn't necessarily raise the value as much as it would confidence.

Be sure to post some picks when you get it. I am eager to see it.

skinsfan0521
06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
TriplexXxSports - Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The only question that I have is you say that an "A List player uniform" can be valued at 5-10k. What's considered an "A List player"? Are you thinking mainly "skill positions" like WR, QB, RB, etc or would an "A List player" be a Pro Bowl player? I'm aware that it's just your opinion, but I'm just curious what your definition would be?

And I'll be sure to post pics when I do get it, but like I said, I'm leaning towards getting the one from the Giants @ Redskins that isn't played until Dec 21. Then I might just get it at the game if I'm there or I might have Chris send it to me, that part is all up in the air right now. haha

Thanks again!

-Brian

TriplexXxSports
06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
'A List' players like Brady, Manning, Urlacher, Tomlinson, etc. Not so much Pro Bowler's but 'superstars' or future HOF'ers. These players would hold the most value.

skinsfan0521
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. I'm just trying to see what a uniform of a Pro Bowl Giants linemen would go for?

I was thinking that it would be somewhere around $1k considering the following:
Giants are selling gu linemen jerseys on their website for $250
I've bought a pair of gu Snee cleats for around $75
I've bought a pair of gu Snee gloves for around $40
I generally see gu pants (of nobody in particular) selling for around $100
The only thing that I don't know of a value on is the helmet, but I was guessing it would be around $500

Does that seem reasonable? I'm probably going to end up paying a bit more than $1k for it anyway since Chris just wants me to donate the money to charity instead of pay him for the items, but I was just wondering what a fair "market value" on it would be?

Also, I've been thinking about it a bit more and I'm trying to decide if I'd rather wait and have him give me the helmet & cleats at the end of the year since he wears those for multiple games. I definitely want the jersey, pants & gloves from the same game, but I'm contemplating waiting until the end of the year for the helmet & cleats. Does that make any sense to anybody else? haha

Lastly, I've also thought about getting his locker nameplate and a gu football from that game. Anybody have any idea how much either of those would go for? I very rarely see gu footballs and hardly ever see nameplates.

Thanks!!

-Brian

BULBUS
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Brian,

IMO, a complete uniform, with a descriptive letter from Chris, would go for at least 1,500-2,000. Thats what I would pay anyway. The helmet alone would go for 750-1k. And of course, if the items are worn for multiple games and show nice use, that just jacks up the price.

As far as game used footballs go, the Giants have sold them on their webite for around 300 and they sell out pretty quick. However, they usually sell (on Ebay) for more like 150-250 depending on the game it was used in. I've never seen a Giants nameplate for sale.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

skinsfan0521
06-11-2009, 04:37 PM
BULBUS- Thanks a lot for you comments, I really appreciate it!

I had pretty much the same thoughts as you do. On the secondary market it seems like the items wouldn't sell for as much as I'll pay, but that's not an issue for me since I won't be selling them. However, I didn't know that a helmet would be $750 - $1k, I figured more like $500. As far as the use goes, I'm getting them all unwashed direct from Chris so hopefully they'll show a lot of use, but obviously that's impossible for me to know or predict.

I haven't seen the game used balls on their site, so I wasn't aware that they go for $250, so that's good to know. The only Giants nameplate that I've ever seen was a Snee "nameplate" from the interview table after the Super Bowl. At the time, I didn't see the collectible value in the nameplate type things, so I just completely ignored it, but I'm pretty sure that it only went for like $40 or something like that. So, now I'm obviously kicking myself!!

Thanks again!

Any other opinions/comments from anybody??

-Brian

helmets
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
However, I didn't know that a helmet would be $750 - $1k, I figured more like $500. As far as the use goes, I'm getting them all unwashed direct from Chris so hopefully they'll show a lot of use, but obviously that's impossible for me to know or predict.

-Brian
I think you are right on track with your prices and comments. I was going to post along the same lines, but then the 5-10K post hit and I decided not to. There might be a premium for a full uniform, however you have to find someone that would pay the premium for a full uniform or find a person that is a Snee fan like yourself to appreciate it as a full uniform. Otherwise, I would think the prices are about the same as what you can get the individual pcs for. The value is in the helmet and jersey. There are not many people interested in pants or socks from a lineman - or from most players from that matter. Along your lines of thinking, the helmet is 500.00, the jersey is 250-300 and the socks/pants are about 100 for both. Now if everything comes with a nice letter and they are soiled, bloody, ripped etc, it certainly adds to the value.

skinsfan0521
06-11-2009, 07:33 PM
helmets - Thanks a lot for your response. I really appreciate it! Like I said before, I'm not looking to sell it, but I know what you're saying about that I'd have to find somebody (like myself) who is particularly interested in a Snee (or Giants) uniform.

I figured that I could get these items for less than I'm going to buy them for if they hit the secondary market, but that rarely happens with his stuff... especially helmets (I've never seen one in the 5 years he's been in the NFL). But, since it's going to be a charitable donation and I'm getting them unwashed, right from Chris, I figured that I'll just "pay" what he wants me to. Also, the fact that I'll be getting them as a whole uniform and be completely, 100% positive that they were all worn in a particular game adds to the value to me personally. Plus, the most important thing is that I'm not worried about the resale value since I'm never selling them anyway.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the responses!!

Anybody else??

-Brian

cordovacollector
06-12-2009, 04:48 AM
My only bit of advice from experience, is that this is a rare opprtunity and take advantage of it as soon as you can. You never know what turns life will make so do it as soon as you can. If you make plans for late in the season, what happens if he gets injured early in the season and is out for the year?

Life takes unexpected turns so when you both happen to be on the same path at the same time ... do it!

As Yogi said, "When you come to the fork in the road... take it!" ;)

skinsfan0521
06-12-2009, 07:23 AM
cordovacollector - Thanks for the advice, but I've got some game used stuff of his already, so I'd really like to get a whole uniform from a game against the Redskins (my favorite team) and that I'll be at (hopefully I'll be able to make it to that game). So, that also adds to the value quite a bit to me personally.

I do know what you mean though. I like going to Redskins vs Giants games because then I get the best of both worlds... I get to see the Redskins and I get to see Snee play. So, the first game that I went to with this mentality was in his rookie year, Giants @ Redskins. Well, I moved my way down from where my seats were (waaay up high) to get as close as I could to the field to see Chris come out of the tunnel and warm up. So, I'm standing there watching all the Giants come out, warm up, do drills, etc. and no Chris. I'm looking and looking and I just can't find him. Then a few min later I see him walking out of the tunnel in "street clothes". I was like wtf??!! So, I called over to him and he came over to talk to me and told me that he woke up that morning with an inflamed gland in this throat and could barely talk and was feeling terrible so he wouldn't be playing. Turns out that inflamed gland didn't get any better for the rest of the season and he missed the final 5 games of his rookie year (ended up being the only games he's missed since he was a freshmen at Boston College until now!). So, although that was a long story, I honestly do know what you mean, but I'm willing to take the cahnce this time. If I didn't have anything of his yet though, then I'd be much more worried about something like that happening.

Thanks again!! Anybody else?

-Brian