PDA

View Full Version : OT 27 years ago, Great 8's Game 8

Trublubrucru
06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I was inspired by Ironmanfan's noting the start of Cal Ripken's streak to remember this day as the best day I ever had in baseball.

June 8, 1982 Milwaukee County Stadium. I went to the Brewers vs. Orioles game that night to attend photo night. I was determined to get as many Brewers with me in photos as I could. Dragging my mom through the crowd I got every Brewer and coach ( except Molitor and Yount, lines were way too long) on the 82 team in under the time alloted for pictures. This alone was memorable and it contained my first exposure to a holy grail(another story) but what came next was just as great. As I walked back off the field, the Baltimore Orioles were filing in the dugout. I snagged my camera and started clicking. Singleton was getting a bat ready, Eddie Murray was looking at the crowd and a player I didn't know was working his glove on the edge of the seats. I tried to take a pic, but my camera jammed. He waited till I was ready and posed for me. click. Then I did something you couldn't do nowdays,right before gametime I walked down in the dugout and sat down next to Cal Ripken Jr. I asked him why sunflower seeds, and he said chewing was bad( even back then). Incredibally I pulled out a blank American League ball, he signed it along with Dempsey,Singleton, Flanagan, Grimsley and others and when I got to Eddie Murray, he yelled for an usher. By that time other kids saw what I was doing and tried to come down in the dugout. A couple ushers stopped the mess and made me leave. Cal smiled and gave me a wave. At the time I had no idea who that rookie 3rd baseman was,( it happened to be game #8 of the streak), and I never would of guessed he'd play 16 more years straight, but he was awful nice, and to this day it was one of my best memories that I'll never forget.

ironmanfan
06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
awesome post! thanks for sharing the pictures....the 1982 Orioles club is my favorite of all time!

cordovacollector
06-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Stunning photos! What a great story. Thanks!

ironmanfan
06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
After thinking of this post last evening, it reminded of a book that Daniel Okrent wrote that year about one game between the Brewers and Orioles in Milwaukee....Turns out the game the book was written about was one day later (06/10/82)......As an aside, if anyone is looking for good summer reading material, this book fits the bill nicely:

http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Innings-Daniel-Okrent/dp/0618056696