PDA

View Full Version : SD Padres Military Jerseys....

PK
06-08-2009, 07:33 AM
from yesterdays 18 inning game. Anyone know when, if or how the team is going to be selling them?

Thanks

godwulf
06-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Dibs on Josh Wilson's. :D

Josh has to be the only position player in MLB history to pitch an inning for one team, and then, less than a month later, pitch an inning for a second team against the first team.

PK
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
No way dude, that's the one I am after and I posted first:D

He & I got the same b-day and that is the focus of my entire collection, players that have a March 26 birthday

http://community.webshots.com/user/Hockey326

Mainly hockey guys, but I do have Brendan Ryan of the Cards, Jose Vizcaino and Jason Dubois to collect in MLB, John Stockton in NBA and Nate Kaeding, Devery Henderson & Marcus Allen from NFL.

Any leads on these jerseys is greatly appreciated!!!

godwulf
06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Well, okay...I guess I'd settle for David Eckstein or Chris Burke.

I picked up a Josh Wilson DBacks bat at the Team Shop the other night, and the authentication sticker dates it to the game where he started the triple play and got a couple of hits - he apparently cracked his bat on one of them. Then, of course, he pitched a scoreless inning a week or so later, and was released and picked up by the Pods a couple of days later. Weird.

Vintagedeputy
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Josh has to be the only position player in MLB history to pitch an inning for one team, and then, less than a month later, pitch an inning for a second team against the first team.

Oh that's nothing - beat this!

On August 4, 1982 Joel Youngblood got a single in a day game for the New York Mets against the Chicago Cubs in Chicago. He was traded after the game to the Montreal Expos, who happened to have a game scheduled that night against the Philadelphia Phillies in Philadelphia. Youngblood flew to Philadelphia and arrived during the game. He was inserted into the lineup and got a single.

var niB = document.getElementById("niBannerID");if(niB && niB.style.display=="block"){ document.getElementById("q_answer").style.marginTop = (niB.offsetHeight+30)+"px";}-->

godwulf
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh that's nothing - beat this!

On August 4, 1982 Joel Youngblood got a single in a day game for the New York Mets against the Chicago Cubs in Chicago. He was traded after the game to the Montreal Expos, who happened to have a game scheduled that night against the Philadelphia Phillies in Philadelphia. Youngblood flew to Philadelphia and arrived during the game. He was inserted into the lineup and got a single.

I don't have a citation for this, or even remember the player name or teams involved, but I remember hearing about a Major League player actually being traded between two teams in the middle of a double-header, and playing for one team in the first game, and for the other team in the second game. Maybe someone else recalls more particulars.

MSpecht
06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Max Flack and Cliff Heathcote are the only players to play for both teams in a doubleheader, having been traded by the Cubs and Cardinals, respectively, between games on May 30, 1922.

The Mets in 1979, traded for Jose Cardenal in between games of a doubleheader. Cardenal crossed the hall and dressed -- but did not play -- for the Mets in the second game. "A couple of Mets players, John Stearns and a few guys, were saying, 'What are you doing here? Wrong clubhouse!'" Mets manager Joe Torre was going to play Cardenal, who asked out of the lineup. "I could not do it. I was in shock."

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

godwulf
06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Mike!

Mets manager Joe Torre was going to play Cardenal, who asked out of the lineup. "I could not do it. I was in shock."

No kidding. I would think that it would be enough of a shock to be playing for one team, especially if you'd been doing it for some years, and then be playing against them the next week...let alone later the same day!

sox83cubs84
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't have a citation for this, or even remember the player name or teams involved, but I remember hearing about a Major League player actually being traded between two teams in the middle of a double-header, and playing for one team in the first game, and for the other team in the second game. Maybe someone else recalls more particulars.

There was nearly a second such instance, engineered (and then cancelled) by Charlie Finley. The Sox and A's had made a deal that there would be a between games trade (this was in 1966) in which Floyd Robinson would play for Kansas City in the second game after playing Game 1 for the Chisox. In game 1, however, Robinson launched a long one out to where Finley's pet mule, Charlie O., was grazing. Robinson stood and watched his long ball, and broke up laughing when he saw the ball hit the mule in the rear end. The mule wasn't injured, but did let out a loud braying sound when the ball struck. Finley called off the deal, telling the Sox that he didn't want a player on his roster who hurt his mule and laughed about it.:rolleyes:

Dave M.
Chicago area

PK
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
SD will be wearing the Camo jerseys every Sunday at home for the rest of the year