PDA

View Full Version : does extensive usage increase value of a game used?

yankees24
06-05-2009, 09:17 PM
does extensive usage increase the value of a game used item? I don't mean if the piece exhibits a lot of wear, but if the item was used for an extended period throughout the season.

also in your opinion should these be worth more or less than special events jerseys that are only worn for one or at most a handful of games?

spartakid
06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I would say these items are definitely worth more. It's the whole reason why game used bats are worth more than issued, it's just taking that a step further. I personally would take a regular item that shows a lot of wear, as opposed to a jersey that was worn for a special occasion once. That's just me, but I would suspect many would agree. Ricardo

suicide_squeeze
06-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I would say these items are definitely worth more. It's the whole reason why game used bats are worth more than issued, it's just taking that a step further. I personally would take a regular item that shows a lot of wear, as opposed to a jersey that was worn for a special occasion once. That's just me, but I would suspect many would agree. Ricardo

Absolutely agree with spartakid.

I would add one thing, however.

If collecting game used items for a special moment, like something involved with a player while he hit a home run, it may be worth it to buy that one "special event" piece because of the absolute provenance that comes with it.

(One awesome item that comes to mind is that "cycle" jersey that Kyle Hess tripped onto by pure chance (luck) that he was able to photo match beyond asny doubt............lucky bastige!;))

Example: When the Dodgers recently listed their "Jackie Robinson Day" jerseys, I was hoping to buy the Manny Ramirez jersey, because I am a 500 home run collector, and being a Dodger fan, what better jersey could I have of Manny's (a jersey worn honoring Jackie Robinson, one with absolute rock solid provenance, and one coming with the ability of you, as the owner, being able to obtain a video of the entire game and everything Manny did in this one-game of his career while wearing it)? I mean, that's about as good as it gets, right?

One problem for me: I like to own something associated to a specific home run. Manny, unfortunately, didn't hit a home run that game, so I let it go. Casey Blake did, but I have no reason to throw the monies at one of his jerseys, because he doesn't fill a need in my collection. I love the guy!......but his items are not on my "want list".

So, we all place value on certain items differently, and sometimes as we see them in relation to our collection.

But in general, the longer the player used/wore an item, the more chance a significant event occured while they were wearing it, so I believe it's safe to bank on the fact these types of items are worth more, IMO.