PDA

View Full Version : Should I Go To The F.B.I???

DoctorLoomis
06-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I have dealt with a major auction house for a few years now. I know...with absolute 100% certainty....of a select few jerseys that total well over 10 grand that were sold as game used...but they were not game used. I know this with iron clad certainty. I feel that in order to do my part to hold these people accountable and to protect future buyers that I should go to the Feds. I know this is a drastic measure but I feel it is right, moral, and necessary. Opinions????

allstarsplus
06-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Since you are talking about an auction house, the question isn't whether or not the jerseys were or were not game used, but whether the auction house knew or should have known that jerseys were being sold as game used and they in fact were not.

spartakid
06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Have you brought your thoughts/concerns to their attention? You should also probably tell them why you know they are fakes.

Eric
06-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Without giving away too much, how do you know with 100% certainty that they were fakes?

cohibasmoker
06-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I have dealt with a major auction house for a few years now. I know...with absolute 100% certainty....of a select few jerseys that total well over 10 grand that were sold as game used...but they were not game used. I know this with iron clad certainty. I feel that in order to do my part to hold these people accountable and to protect future buyers that I should go to the Feds. I know this is a drastic measure but I feel it is right, moral, and necessary. Opinions????

Since the items were all from the same source and/or auction house, sent through the mail, and hit the 10K mark, why not start locally like the your local Post Office? Just ask the clerk to the see the local postmaster. Present him with your evidence and I am sure he'll be able to direct you to the right source (s).

Jim

gatorfett
06-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Generally speaking, the larger, more reputable auction houses try to make sure their claims are legit for any item, whether it's sports related, art, antiques, movie props, etc. Basically, buyers pay a premium buying through auction houses because of this fact so they do try to get it right as it's their reputation (and livelyhood) on the line.

My advice to you, or anyone, that suspects something isn't legit, is to immediately contact the auction house and let them know. I hate speaking in generalities, but 99% of the time the auction houses are just consignees for other peoples merchandise and they may or may not actively research anything beyond what the consignor has told them. I have seen this type of situation happen before in the movie memorabilia market. Once a question related to an item has been raised (with factual evince), they will do more research on the item and the consignor, along with seeking out more expert opinion. If the item is not what the consignor stated, then it is generally pulled or the item is auctioned with a corrected description. Sometimes further research even supports the original description and it is left alone and auctioned. Either way, the public is protected.

I have also 'heard' (no personal instances) where an item was auctioned with sterling provenance and later found out to be fake; the auction house returned the buyers money and took the item back. This is generally not the norm as all auction houses have policies related to this situation and most of the time, it's 'buyer beware'. I would check the auction house's policies with regards to this as they are usually easy to find, on the printed catalog and/or the website.

With that said, if you contact the auction house and they do nothing about the fraud, then I would say you have every right to contact the authorities. I would just be sure you have your facts in line and be able to explain in simple terms why you feel the description was inaccurate.

Although I am 'new' to sports memorabilia, its good that you are taking it upon yourself to do this. It helps protect others from fraud while also sending a message that people are watching. In the end, it can only help the hobby. Good luck.

Eric
06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Doctor Loomis,
Please email me at ecky3@aol.com. I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you off the forum.
Thanks
Eric