PDA

View Full Version : Lelands Phillies game used Lidge items

skyliner59
06-04-2009, 09:40 PM
As a well known collector of Phillies game used items I have accumulated hundreds of jerseys including a few from 2008. I purchase most of my modern Phillies items directly from the teams, MLB and MILB. In 2008, the Phillies not only won the WS but they was also, for the first time in many years dated their game worn/issued jerseys. Doing so by placing an "08" cloth tag in the lower inside hem of the buttons. All the jerseys had this.

Going foward, yesterday I called a Lelands employee after two emails went unanswered in regards to the 2008 Lidge game worn jersey. I inquired into the 08 date tag which she answered there was no such tag. I then educated her as to how the Phillies dated all of their jerseys in 2008. Her response, "I will have someone look into it." As of tonight the jersey is still for sale. I have never had any problems with Lelands before and am quite amazed by their response and lack of response (emails). Has anyone else had any such problems with this auction house?

Verdict, Even though all of Lelands Lidge "game used items" come with Coa's signed by Lidge, I would be very skeptical. Just a heads up to the collecting community.

Bob P.

skipcarayislegend
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Bob,
Is it not possible that a few jerseys may have been used despite the absence of an '08 tag? Imo, it's definitely possible. I know zilch about Phillies uniforms or how the team handles them, but it seems entirely likely that over the course of a 162-game season a handful of non-tagged jerseys might for whatever reason see the field, especially if the only difference between them and the others is a year tag. From the team's point of view, the presence of a year tag is inconsequential as far as outfitting a player correctly, especially in a pinch. I'd be much more surprised if any team managed to stay 100% consistent with something as trivial as a year swatch over an entire season. It's obviously a big deal to collectors, but I can't see a team caring either way about it in most cases. Btw, a week ago you could've gone to the Braves clubhouse store and seen a game used '08 Atlanta jersey with '07 tagging.
-Jason

skipcarayislegend
06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
All the jerseys had this.

I meant to quote this statement earlier because it's the one I'm having trouble with. Every jersey the Phillies ordered in 2008 may indeed have had a year tag, but it doesn't necessarily include every jersey they wore. The only way to verify your assumption would be to inspect the tagging of every uniform worn by every person both before and after every inning of every game.

Don't take any of this the wrong way, Bob. You clearly know a lot about Phils gamers; I'm just offering a different perspective. I've been guilty of it myself in the past, but I think the "everything/always" belief collectors have sometimes is one of the things that gets us into trouble.

Jason

skyliner59
06-05-2009, 02:48 PM
but I think the "everything/always" belief collectors have sometimes is one of the things that gets us into trouble.

Jason, As stated in my earlier statement. This was the first year in many for the Phillies to attach a year tag. If it was something that they had been doing for years, then yes I would agree with you that maybe it was no big deal with the team, but this was the first year. So obviously they had their reasonings for it and my bet is being the first year they were very attentive in attaching these tags to the gamers.
After saying this, I would love to bid on that Lidge, but without the 08 tag, I will not.
And actually, what you are saying generally is that any jersey could be game worn. 0062, 6200. With a patch, without, etc. etc. etc. This may be true. But those are the items that I think will get you in trouble. If a jersey is supposed to have a particular tag and dosen't, my guess is that a large percentage of folks on this forum would pass as well. Just my opinion.

skipcarayislegend
06-05-2009, 03:32 PM
And actually, what you are saying generally is that any jersey could be game worn. 0062, 6200. With a patch, without, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying that at all. This is about a missing '08 year tag, not a retail code or missing sleeve numerals, etc. In that case we're talking about multiple red flags. The only problem you've stated here is the missing year tag. If there were others I'm sure you would've pointed them out. Do you know if it's an 0062 or 6200 shirt?

So obviously they had their reasonings for it and my bet is being the first year they were very attentive in attaching these tags to the gamers.

That may very well be, but it's still an assumption. Being "very attentive" doesn't mean that a few non-tagged jerseys can't make it onto the field. It just means that the equipment manager will do his best to issue jerseys with '08 tagging.

skyliner59
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
[quote=skipcarayislegend;144635 The only problem you've stated here is the missing year tag.

This problem is enough for me. Maybe not you. I could care less about how equipment managers handle their business. I know this jersey should have a year tag sewn in. IT DOSEN'T and Lelands confirmed that. I would pass. If you want it or any other jersey that is missing proper identifiers, then there is not much left to discuss here with you.

Also, take a look at Lelands photos. I don't think this jersey has ever seen a washing machine. The tagging looks brand new which is another potential problem with current Phillies jerseys which was brought up by rickphils in a previous thread.

Jason, This jersey is currently bid over $700 plus the juice brings it close to 1k. For that kind of money I would want all identifiers to be in place. I posted this thread to hopefully educate the folks who read this stuff, on Phillies jerseys, not to bicker with you about how other teams/clubhouse guys handle their business, which is an assumption on your part.

Best of luck

skipcarayislegend
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
No one's bickering with you. You started a thread, I responded to it. You disagree and suddenly we're bickering. Nice. Anyhow, seeing as how you've missed my point completely, I'll end it here as well. Good luck to you, too, Jim.