PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Yankees jerseys

TomTimmerman
06-04-2009, 12:55 PM
These are available in a local auction that is filled with fake autographs. Anything of value here? No information available beyond the pictures. The first four pictures go together and the second three go together.

Thanks,
TT

hrvatwill
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Looks like there is residue from Steiner holograms, almost as if somebody washed them with the holograms still affixed?

suave1477
06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
They use to have Steiner Stickers on them.

So chances are they are real.

BUT..............

I am willing to bet these are being sold as Game Used and probably were once Game Issued abd conveienetly lost the Steiner paper work to it.

skinsfan0521
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
How do u know that they used to have Steiner stickers? Is that what the gray stuff is on the tag? leftover sticker?

-Brian

suave1477
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
How do u know that they used to have Steiner stickers? Is that what the gray stuff is on the tag? leftover sticker?

-Brian

Skinsfans exactly!!

If you pay close attention boy of the gray marks show the seperation circles of when the Steiner sticker is pulled off.

It is or was very common that Steiner would put there circle logo sticker and there oval game used sticker on there Jersey's

If you notice on the tagging of both Jerseys

The gray areas are of a circle shape and the second gray area a little longer.

Which would lead me to believe both these Jerseys had Steiner stickers on them.

sportscentury
06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Wow, if they were sold as game issued, then someone went to a ton of trouble to make these look completely battered (I realize that this is possible). My bet is that they are game used and someone just took off the Steiner holograms. I know some collectors can't stand the hologram stuff....they think it looks tacky and compromises the integrity of the item (honestly, I see where they are coming from). So, chances are someone just took the holograms off so that they would look better on display (at least to them).

suave1477
06-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Wow, if they were sold as game issued, then someone went to a ton of trouble to make these look completely battered (I realize that this is possible). My bet is that they are game used and someone just took off the Steiner holograms. I know some collectors can't stand the hologram stuff....they think it looks tacky and compromises the integrity of the item (honestly, I see where they are coming from). So, chances are someone just took the holograms off so that they would look better on display (at least to them).

Sportscentury ill agree to disagree with you on this......

Meaning...... You say they look battered I can't agree with that, they just look old. The back numbers look pristine. If you play close attention I don't see anything that would show any type of fraying or bending of the numbers from use. Especially back in the early 90's the Yankees would wear the same jerseys over and over again which in turn would eventually show some use on the numbers. Also in the neck lining doesnt show much use, like discoloring from sweat or anything like that. You can say well it may have been washed!! But then the tag would be slightly to heavily faded from the washings. They don't seem that faded.
The only thing I can really see is that they are wrinkled which could be caused from just not being folded or properly hung.

You might be right and maybe the holograms were just removed because the person who owned these didnt like the holograms. Which then I would assume, they would still have the LOA'S for the jerseys, which I would assume if there were LOA'S the original poster would have posted pcitures of them. Which leads me to believe there are no LOA'S

You can now say well maybe they lost the LOA'S

To me that is just too conveinent, especially for missing the holograms too on both jerseys.

But this is just my opinion!!

Sportscentury you can be absolutely right and I could be wrong.

I am just going on what has been presented!!

sportscentury
06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Sportscentury ill agree to disagree with you on this......

Meaning...... You say they look battered I can't agree with that, they just look old. The back numbers look pristine. If you play close attention I don't see anything that would show any type of fraying or bending of the numbers from use. Especially back in the early 90's the Yankees would wear the same jerseys over and over again which in turn would eventually show some use on the numbers. Also in the neck lining doesnt show much use, like discoloring from sweat or anything like that. You can say well it may have been washed!! But then the tag would be slightly to heavily faded from the washings. They don't seem that faded.
The only thing I can really see is that they are wrinkled which could be caused from just not being folded or properly hung.

You might be right and maybe the holograms were just removed because the person who owned these didnt like the holograms. Which then I would assume, they would still have the LOA'S for the jerseys, which I would assume if there were LOA'S the original poster would have posted pcitures of them. Which leads me to believe there are no LOA'S

You can now say well maybe they lost the LOA'S

To me that is just too conveinent, especially for missing the holograms too on both jerseys.

But this is just my opinion!!

Sportscentury you can be absolutely right and I could be wrong.

I am just going on what has been presented!!

It's actually a very weird pair of jerseys. I'll agree that the numbers look fresh. The tags, however, are tattered. I've seen old game-issued (not game worn) Wilson jerseys before and the tagging looked nothing like this in terms of condition. The tagging looks like it has endured repeated launderings ... but the numbers do not. Just not sure what to make of these. Perhaps someone should check with Steiner. I'm not sure if they keep any records of their game worn and game issued jerseys, but, if they do, perhaps they can be of some help.

jtorrez
06-09-2009, 12:50 PM
If you look closely at the jerseys you can tell that they have been stripped of previous numbers.

Look at the first jersey where the "2" is there is an outline of where a "4" used to be on that jersey.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25644&stc=1&d=1244138000

The second jersey is even easier to spot I am surprised no one else picked up on this yet. There is a clear outline of glue residue behind the number "4". It looks like it used to have a "0" or a "6" on that jersey that was removed and replaced. Under the "5" there is a faint outline of a number that looks like a "9" or an "8"

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25648&stc=1&d=1244138035

TomTimmerman
06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the help guys. If anyone wants to own these gems, they close in about one hour. You can also pick up a very rare Walter Johnson Sharpie signature. Right now it's at $19.

http://www.mclemoreauction.net/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?mclemore7/category/ALL

sportscentury
06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
If you look closely at the jerseys you can tell that they have been stripped of previous numbers.

Look at the first jersey where the "2" is there is an outline of where a "4" used to be on that jersey.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25644&stc=1&d=1244138000

The second jersey is even easier to spot I am surprised no one else picked up on this yet. There is a clear outline of glue residue behind the number "4". It looks like it used to have a "0" or a "6" on that jersey that was removed and replaced. Under the "5" there is a faint outline of a number that looks like a "9" or an "8"

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25648&stc=1&d=1244138035

You're right. This makes sense. So, as I first stated, the jerseys were indeed worn (and from the looks of the tags and other jersey indicators, well worn indeed) and simply had number changes. Someone bought them as game worn from Steiner, changed the numbers and did a lousy job of removing the holograms. Tags do not look that tattered and frayed just from a handful of years passing. I agree with you that it is surprising that no one else picked up on the number changes ... especially on the #54 jersey you highlighted. Very nice first post! Welcome aboard.