PDA

View Full Version : Pine Tar or Mota Stick?

anj1027
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the board. I have been lurking for awhile as I search for interesting game used bats, but I just registered today.

I have gained some interest into what players typically use to enhance their grip on the bat. My question is, do more players use traditional pine tar or the mota stick? And, my other question, what keeps more players from using athletic tape, since it has good friction and is naturally sticky?

Any feedback would be great!

metsbats
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I just read an article about the use of pine tar and how players who still use it are considered dinosaurs. Mota stick and sprays are less messy and easier to apply than pine tar. The article mentioned the only a had full of player notably Jorge Posada, Vlad, and Manny still use pine tar.

As far as tape verses pine tar I can say from experience that the taped handle changes the feel of the bat in your hands verses an untaped handle.

allstarsplus
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
The article mentioned the only a had full of player notably Jorge Posada, Vlad, and Manny still use pine tar.

I would have to say more use Pine Tar over Mota based on the players that I collect.

Alfonso Soriano and Nick Johnson cake on the pine tar!

Now then, I prefer bats with Mota stick because they aren't as messy when the bat isn't "aged" because over time the non-spray pine tar should harden on the bat and not be sticky over time.

anj1027
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I just read an article about the use of pine tar and how players who still use it are considered dinosaurs. Mota stick and sprays are less messy and easier to apply than pine tar. The article mentioned the only a had full of player notably Jorge Posada, Vlad, and Manny still use pine tar.

As far as tape verses pine tar I can say from experience that the taped handle changes the feel of the bat in your hands verses an untaped handle.

I read that article as well, but when I watch games on TV, there seems to be plenty of guys with pine tar up on the label (whereas MOTA is typically put in where the bat is actually gripped).

Will you unpack what you mean by a taped handle changing the feel of the bat in your hands vs. untaped handle. I think about college guys that rip off the leather grips and tape up their bats in college. Seems like more would just carry that same grip over to their wooden bat.

TNTtoys
06-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Never mind traditional pine tar or mota stick...

this particular bat uses some new stuff called "pine tart"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mark-MCGuire-Cardinals-Game-Used-Rawlings-Baseball-Bat_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ60596QQihZ002QQitem Z120431270653QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQsalenotsuppo rted