PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

JasonBanz
06-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Lately I haven't been as obsessed with GU collecting. Right now I'm not in any position to buy anything. My daily visit to GUU has went to a maybe once a week visit. My daily visit to eBay and other sites that sell GU items have went to a once a week visit. I guess you can say I'm in a Game Used funk!!!! I don't even enjoy looking at my collection near as much anymore. Anyone have any advice to get me out of this funk? Maybe it's cause I'm out of that "new relationship" stage :p

skinsfan0521
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Maybe you could sell some of it to me for really cheap... then you'll miss the items and start buying things again to replace them. How's that sound?? :)

-Brian

JasonBanz
06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the advice, but thats the kind of advice where you look at the person, smile, and nod then walk away thinking, "is that guy nuts?!?!?!" :p

skinsfan0521
06-04-2009, 08:25 AM
So then there ya go... you obviously still like your collection. You're not looking to sell it just to get rid of it, so you must still love it.

I find myself the same way with card collecting on and off. I sometimes get really into it for a year or so, buy a bunch of the newest stuff, put together sets, do tons of trading...and then I get sick of it and only focus on things that I REALLY want for a while. But, eventually I always end up picking it back up again. I'm sure you will too sometime.

-Brian

eisenreich8
06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
You're not alone friend. I have been collecting a narrow focus on Civil War items for close to 20 years now, one-of-a-kind stuff that has archival value and historical significance and all that, but sometimes I ponder selling it, sometimes I convince myself I could never part with it, but then, when I get old, what the heck good is it to me, better off in someone else's hands........

That's why you can puzzle it out over time and ask yourself "is it just stuff, and if something happened to me would my loved ones have to deal with the burden of disposing of it, can I enjoy it for a few more years and move it along, or does it have so much personal worth that I feel I would need to be buried with it one day?"

Give it some time and follow your gut. Good luck!

skyking26
06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
2008 was a banner year for me. Very exciting time with motherload of purchases. 2009 back to reality, and a continuation of personal problems... Rare to see something I want; and even more rare to pay thru every orafice to get it. Many today feel that jacking up prices is the only way to go...but I am not buying!

ahuff
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
You know, you described exactly what I have been feeling, lately. I have checked in on GUU probably a few times a week. Though I use to spend tons of time on here. It isn't anything about the board, but just I'm so busy with everything else that I don't have time. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy, but just I seem to get the "that item just sold" response, or the items are just too much $$$ for what they are. I know I'll break out of this funk at some point - I always do - and so will you.

skipcarayislegend
06-04-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm going through this now myself. I've loved the g/u hobby for a long time. It's been the perfect distraction for me over the years. But for the last month or so I've been pondering the idea of selling off about half, if not the majority, of my non-Braves stuff, which is basically batting helmets. I put a few helmets on ebay earlier this week to sort of test my feelings about selling them. No regrets so far. They aren't my favorites though, so who knows what would happen should I list those.

eisenreich8, I've had those exact thoughts myself with regard to everything being just "stuff" and the burden my family would face should they have to sell everything on my behalf. God help them when a bunch of g/u nuts start asking them about "use" and puckering and embossed logos. ;) (I'm seeing all-sales-final, $10 BINs across the board.)

Also, with most teams pumping out piles of barley used equipment every year (the Braves are among the worst), I'm having a harder time getting excited about all of it. It's everywhere and, imo, the majority of it isn't that special. If you want an A-Rod g/u jersey you can find it. A Jeter or Pujols bat? They're out there. Same with nearly everything else. Even photo-matching doesn't do as much for me anymore. Frankly, if it was used in the past ten or so years, I expect to find a picture of it somewhere. I'm mainly talking about helmets, but the reality is, if it's legit then a photo match should be anything but surprising.

skipcarayislegend
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Also, with most teams pumping out piles of barley used equipment every year (the Braves are among the worst), I'm having a harder time getting excited about all of it.

I meant barely used equipment. Thanks, brain.

Here are some excellent, pine tar-free barley recipes:

http://www.barleyfoods.org/recipes.html

JasonBanz
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys for all your help! Its good to know I'm not the only collector struggling right now!