PDA

View Full Version : O/T Glavine cut by Braves, loyalty screwed again

gingi79
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Glavine was cut by the Braves and much like Smoltz the business of baseball gets in the way of being fair to the old workhorses from the glory years. I realize that he may be done, but let the guy retire with some dignity as a Brave. He costs a Million a year, send someone back to the minors and see if Glavine has anything left. They owe him that much. I can only hope he retires immediately as a Brave. With Maddux now retired, if Glavine retires (and hey convince Smoltzy to leave now too) I'd totally be in for the greatest day in modern Braves history, Cooperstown induction for Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine :p

On the upside, they traded one of the top prospects in baseball for Nate McLouth. I like Nate but with all the holes in this team, another outfielder is not how I would go.

Vintagedeputy
06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Expect to see Glavine signing with the Nats within a week.

metsbats
06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
The last two teams Glavine pitched for he left on low notes. 2007 getting beat up by the Marlins as a Met and now being released by the Braves before he even was given a chance to get back to the Show.

I hope he gets picked up by a contender (Yankees or a reunion with Smoltz in Boston?) and finishes the season and his HOF career on a high note.

stretch
06-03-2009, 11:05 PM
No room for Tom Glavine. Tommy Hanson starts Saturday for Atlanta and the team is still waiting for Tim Hudson to return. Timmy will most likely pitch for the bullpen, but there is just no room for Glavine. He pockets the money and signs with another team to make more money. The Braves orginzation did ask Tom Glavine if he wanted to retire first and he said release me. If you have remember he decided to bail on Atlanta first by signing with the Mets.

How can you even mention John Smoltz? His health and asking price was too big for Atlanta. You have to remember during the past they paid Smoltz already during season he was injured and Mike Hampton.

suicide_squeeze
06-04-2009, 11:43 PM
The last two teams Glavine pitched for he left on low notes. 2007 getting beat up by the Marlins as a Met and now being released by the Braves before he even was given a chance to get back to the Show.

Absolutely correct.

I hope he gets picked up by a contender (Yankees or a reunion with Smoltz in Boston?) and finishes the season and his HOF career on a high note.

Ain't gonna happen. Glavine is done.

Some guys just need to understand, as painful as it is.....they need to let go. He had a great career, there's no need to end it with repeated failures.

BergerKing22784
06-05-2009, 06:23 AM
In 1988 I was 4 years old living in North Carolina and I got my first pack of baseball cards. They were a pack of 1988 topps and the first rookie card I got in that pack was none other than Tom Glavine....

Living in N.C. the Braves were the closest team to me and were always on tv and because of it I became a fan... Tom Glavine has always been my favorite pitcher and I loved watchin him pitch for all those years with the Braves. He won games with his control and pin point accuracy.

In 2003 I was upset when the Braves low balled Glavine and I was also upset Glavine took the money and ran to the Mets.. I also realized this is a business and while its a longshot the Braves are hanging in their with the Phillies and Mets. The Braves do not have any space left for Glavine and the future has been chilling in the minors waiting for his chance, it is now his chance and Glavine should have just retired as a Braveshe has nothing else to prove. He has Cy Young awards, he has a world series, he has 300 wins, what else could he want? I dont think Smoltz will retire after this season so its not even like he would go into the hall of fame the same year him anyway....

Thanks for the memories Tom but its time to hang em up.

suave1477
06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Rumor has it Red Sox are interested in picking up Glavine