PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Gooden 93 Mets and 01 Edgardo Alfonzo team issued on ebay

dcrules01
06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the board about 2 auctions that are currently running on ebay.The seller is a member here also but failed to give all the details in his descriptions on the auctions.I will post links at the end of the post.

The 93 Mets Road Dwight Gooden was a gamer of a less known player that was stripped by the seller and sent to Stitches to be customized into a Dwight Gooden which he later had Gooden sign at a show.

The next auction he has running is a 2001 Edgardo Alfonzo that was bought as a blank team issued.They were circulating on ebay a few years ago.This blank was also sent to Stitches to be turned into a home Alfonzo with the 9-11-01 and flag patch added.

I know this because I am on another message board with the seller and he had mentioned this when posting pics f the jerseys.Me personally this type of thing only hurts the hobby in the long run.I am not perfect but when selling an item if the jersey was altered in any way shape or form that should be mentioned when passing it along to a potential buyer.Here is the link and thanks for your time guys..

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/metsfan808

Mr.3000
06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up Greg. Kind of disappointing to see a GUU member postng items without full disclosure. :(

flaco1801
06-03-2009, 06:58 PM
if thats true, its outrageous

dcrules01
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Trust me it is and I feel the same way.That is why I wanted to let you guys all know..

Metsfan808
06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I am the seller of these two jerseys and I am in way shape or form trying to deceive anyone. I am not claiming that these jerseys are any type of game used jerseys. They are not retail authentic jerseys and they are not replicas which is why they were listed as team issued because those jerseys are team issued jerseys I did not say that they were game issued. I think that I listed them in an honest way. I did not say in any part of that listing that the jerseys were in any way shape or form game used by either of those players.

Scott I know that you are upset about me outbidding you on a jersey in the last Hunt auction but this is low. If there is a problem with my listing I think that after knowing you for over 3 years that maybe I deserved the benefit of the doubt and you could have contacted me via email, or phone (of which you have both) to express you concerns and allow me to explain why I listed the jerseys the way I did.

hblakewolf
06-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I am the seller of these two jerseys and I am in way shape or form trying to deceive anyone. I am not claiming that these jerseys are any type of game used jerseys. They are not retail authentic jerseys and they are not replicas which is why they were listed as team issued because those jerseys are team issued jerseys I did not say that they were game issued. I think that I listed them in an honest way. I did not say in any part of that listing that the jerseys were in any way shape or form game used by either of those players.

Scott I know that you are upset about me outbidding you on a jersey in the last Hunt auction but this is low. If there is a problem with my listing I think that after knowing you for over 3 years that maybe I deserved the benefit of the doubt and you could have contacted me via email, or phone (of which you have both) to express you concerns and allow me to explain why I listed the jerseys the way I did.

You have to be kidding!

An honest "way" would clearly note in your Ebay description that you stripped a legit common name jersey and then had it relettered and numbered it to reflect 16, GOODEN.

How is your fake Gooden "team issued"? This was never ordered by the Mets or intended to be "issued" to anyone except the orignal player that you stripped off.

Clearly, you can't believe your actions are above board?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

flaco1801
06-03-2009, 07:47 PM
if your not decieving anybody why dont you say it was a common shirt u had put anothers name on it? (gooden).. and the edguardo shirt? whats up with that? fraud

dcrules01
06-03-2009, 07:49 PM
You are way off base with you thinking I am upset over the fact that you won a jersey which I did not even realize you were the winner.

The fact is you altered 2 jerseys one was a gamer of a lesser player that you striped and turned into the Gooden.Imo that should be in your description if there is any kind of alternations to the jersey.This is not the 1st time you have done this. The Alfonzo was a blank that you had all the customizing done by Stitches and the 9-11 and flag patch was added.

I was almost duped into buying a jersey for $1800 about a year ago that was nothing more than a team issued.So yes if you take offense to me making public what was done to the jerseys which you failed to mention in your description you can be upset.

Mr.3000
06-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I hate not having the ability to edit my thread for a simple error.

Thank you SCOTT for pointing these auctions out to the rest of us. I called you Greg in my first post, mistaking your user ID for someone else. My apologies.

Metsfan808 - Not that there is any need to drive the point of this thread home any more than it already has...but your auction descriptions are clearly lacking the fact that you had these jerseys altered. Your intent is clear and it's quite disturbing.

5kRunner
06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I agree. Be honest and list the jerseys as team issued but altered. No where do you say the jerseys have been altered, and that is deceiving.

metsbats
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Scott.

BTW what is the other site you are referring to.

Sounds like we all should be on that one too.

I was actually bidding on a 2000 Alfonzo jersey a couple of weeks ago by
the same seller which I'm glad i didn't end up winning now.

skinsfan0521
06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't see how these auctions can be viewed as being "honest". They're definitely with the intent to make somebody think that these are the real game issued jerseys and haven't been altered.

At the very least, you could just say that they've been altered and leave out the details. Let people contact you if they have any questions. But to leave the fact that they were altered out completely seems like a blatant attempt to sell these for much more than they're worth.

-Brian

flaco1801
06-04-2009, 04:36 PM
for a couple of bucks.....you lose all dignity... shame on you.

Capital-Sports
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Anyone interested in a game issued/used Louisville Slugger bat that I originally bought blank, added pine tar to it, used it in the cages a few times, than when I was done I decided to take it down to the engraver and have Albert Pujols, ST Louis Cardinals engraved in it?

TNTtoys
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I too have been following these auctions and to my disappointment they have not been amended despite the many comments made here by the game used collecting community.

Whether intentional or not, the auctions are misleading. Just by saying that the jerseys are "team issued" doesn't get a free pass, because a team issued jersey with the name and number of a player of that team equates to the jersey having been actually issued to him for wear in a game. This is common practice/terminology across the industry.

Not stating that the jersey was not in fact issued to the player would be like telling a half truth. Not stating that the jersey had been altered would be the same as leaving out the most critical details (for example, if I were selling a car and told the prospective buyer everything positive I could think of about it... and then leave out the fact that it was in a flood).

Allowing the seller the benefit of the doubt... if this really comes down to terminology and his belief that he has been honest in his listing, I want to provide a real life analogy:

1. You can go to Steiner's website and buy a game issued Yankees jersey for $100.00.
http://www.steinersports.com/2007-yankees-game-issued-home-pinstripe-jersey-(48)
You can then have it customized with a sleeve patch ($10-15) and a #42 on the back ($30-40). For $150, you have a "team issued" jersey that had been customized into a Mariano Rivera.

2. You can go to Steiner's website and buy a game issued Mariano Rivera Yankees jersey for $1,000.00.
http://www.steinersports.com/mariano-rivera-42-2008-yankees-game-issued-home-pinstripe-jersey-w-all-star-and-stadium-patches

The two are not the same thing, and it would not be fair to misrepresent item #1 as item #2.

TNTtoys
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
If the first link in my last posting does not work, it is because the ")" at the end of the link is getting chopped off. Click the link, which should load almost the whole URL into your address bar, add a ")" to the end, and it should work.

dcrules01
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
It really does not matter what he does now because the bidders are locked in..I guess we all live and learn but I will bet any money down the road these jerseys will be up for sale as Gamers at some auction house and someone will pay a premium thinking they are the real thing...That is another problem but hey anything for an extra dollar I guess..

metsmetsmets
07-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm late to this thread, but I would've liked to see a picture of that refurbished '94 road Gooden jersey. (The ebay links are presently dead ). From my personal first hand experience, Stitches is incapable of providing the proper specs for 93-94 Mets uniforms, and so the wrong style numbering would've been a dead giveaway as to the fishiness of that jersey, even without knowing that the jersey was taken to Stitches for some renumbering.

bronx_burner
07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
The listings are still up. If you click on the link in the first post, then click on the sellers feedback, you can get the links to the listings by clicking on the individual feedback links for those items. The titles are listed with each feedback, just a few down the list of most recent.

dcrules01
07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm late to this thread, but I would've liked to see a picture of that refurbished '94 road Gooden jersey. (The ebay links are presently dead ). From my personal first hand experience, Stitches is incapable of providing the proper specs for 93-94 Mets uniforms, and so the wrong style numbering would've been a dead giveaway as to the fishiness of that jersey, even without knowing that the jersey was taken to Stitches for some renumbering.
It was a 93 and it was done at Stitches because he picked it up right before an autograph show back in May 07 and he told me he stripped the jersey and had it customized into a Gooden at Stitches...
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Information/Gooden.jpg