PDA

View Full Version : BMH - I could use your help...

xpress34
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Brian -

Just wondering about dates on H&B '40K' bats with Cork Grips. I have seen quite a few pop up lately, but they are always described as 'rare'? Generally also described as being from the 1920's or 1930's...

Any thoughts???

Thanks -

Chris

xpress34
06-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Brian -

I am bumping this up as I think it got lost in the shuffle.

I've seen you answer some other posts that cam up after this

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

- Chris

BoneRubbedBat
06-06-2009, 02:53 PM
the 40K Kork Grip was patented September 15, 1914 and was used at least until the mid-1930's. There is documented use of the 40K model at the major and minor league levels as evidenced by written records and H&B factory sidewritten bats. As for "rarity", there are far fewer examples of 40K bats out there than the more common 125 models. The era dating is similar to that of the 125 models of the same period as well as the differences between retail and professional models. Not sure if this answers your questions, but I hope it helps.

BMH
06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I couldn't have said it better than Marcus, especially since I have no information what so ever on the Model 40 series bats. Good information to know, thanks Marcus.

xpress34
06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
the 40K Kork Grip was patented September 15, 1914 and was used at least until the mid-1930's. There is documented use of the 40K model at the major and minor league levels as evidenced by written records and H&B factory sidewritten bats. As for "rarity", there are far fewer examples of 40K bats out there than the more common 125 models. The era dating is similar to that of the 125 models of the same period as well as the differences between retail and professional models. Not sure if this answers your questions, but I hope it helps.

Marcus -

Thank you for the input. When you talk about facctory side written bats, are you talking about grease pencil dates and such?

Thanks again!

- Chris

xpress34
06-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I couldn't have said it better than Marcus, especially since I have no information what so ever on the Model 40 series bats. Good information to know, thanks Marcus.

Brian -

Thanks for the follow up. As always, I really appreciate your effort and help here on GUU.

- Chris

BoneRubbedBat
06-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Marcus -

When you talk about facctory side written bats, are you talking about grease pencil dates and such?

Thanks again!

- Chris

Yes. I have 40K bats in my collection that have the players name stamped on the barrel as well as the H&B grease pencil sidewriting with the same players names, confirming their use and subsequent return to H&B.

Marcus

MSpecht
06-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Here is an earlier blog that touches on 40K bats, as well as H & B 250 bats, etc.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=186

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com