PDA

View Full Version : PSA/DNA or MLB AUTH???

justinlm24
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Just wondering which you guys would prefer to come with your game used items that you purchase. Do you have a preference? Is one more preferred over the other? Lets hear some thoughts......

Mauer7
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Is this a joke? MLB is CLEARLY more desirable and preferred.

justinlm24
05-31-2009, 09:49 AM
nope, no joke.......

yankees24
05-31-2009, 10:08 AM
why does NFL use PSA/DNA and not their own authentication system like MLB, etcs.

Rboitano
05-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Anyone can pay for and get a letter from PSA, with MLB you cannot. I have seen some questionable letters from PSA on some bats, Pujols Mizuno comes to mind.

David
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
For modern gamue used bats, I would prefer MLB. Obviously for older stuff, like Hank Aaron and Brooks Robinson, there is no MLB and PSA is reliable. Can't find a MLB auto on a Mel Ott bat. A key with the MLB hologram is the provenance. A problem with MLB is their description/communication can be vague.

justinlm24
05-31-2009, 12:31 PM
I've also seen some questionable mlb holograms.......either tampered or otherwise.....so neither is really as rock solid as you think.....

AWA85
05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
MLB all the way. Their holograms are easy to tell if they have been tampered with, so you usually don't have to worry about that. Only problem they have is getting the items in the system.

3arod13
05-31-2009, 06:11 PM
When MLB is present and witnesses a signature, do they also give an LOA, in addition to putting a sticker on the item?

joelsabi
05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
When MLB is present and witnesses a signature, do they also give an LOA, in addition to putting a sticker on the item?

This is what is written on the bottom of each display purposes certificate:

The MLB Authentication Program was created to protect our fans by eliminating Certificates of Authenticity that can be easily forged and/or copied. This print out is only for display purposes and not considered authentication for your item. To fully verify the authenticity of your item, please visit http://www.mlb.com/mlb/authentication/index.jsp. When you enter the uniquely numbered hologram into the system, you can view the details of the independent authentication of your autographed or game-used memorabilia.

bold my emphasis.

so i think they just put the sticker on it and there is no corresponding LOA liek steiner.

3arod13
05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
This is what is written on the bottom of each display purposes certificate:

The MLB Authentication Program was created to protect our fans by eliminating Certificates of Authenticity that can be easily forged and/or copied. This print out is only for display purposes and not considered authentication for your item. To fully verify the authenticity of your item, please visit http://www.mlb.com/mlb/authentication/index.jsp. When you enter the uniquely numbered hologram into the system, you can view the details of the independent authentication of your autographed or game-used memorabilia.

bold my emphasis.

so i think they just put the sticker on it and there is no corresponding LOA liek steiner.

Print the LOA from their website

joelsabi
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
if read on the disclaimer it says this

This print out is only for display purposes and not considered authentication for your item

so its not a LOA.

3arod13
05-31-2009, 07:51 PM
if read on the disclaimer it says this

This print out is only for display purposes and not considered authentication for your item

so its not a LOA.

Then what purpose does it serves.

joelsabi
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Then what purpose does it serves.

mlb say it serve for display purposes. i guess mlb thinks people like to display COA of some sort. i dont see anyone signing the printable certificate. i could 20 of these right now. so its the tampered proof sticker that authenticates the item. is that why people here are weary when they see a sticker that looks tampered?

am i reading it wrong whats on the bottom of the printable

to me its verifying either the autograph from a session or game used item on that specific date. i dont know if mlb throughly thought this through when they first implemented this systems. to me its vague what kind of item is autographed.

i am trying to figure this out so any insight from members would be appreciated.

maybe the dealer who is a forum member can explain what they are buying with an autograph session.

allstarsplus
05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
mlb say it serve for display purposes. i guess mlb thinks people like to display COA of some sort. i dont see anyone signing the printable certificate. i could 20 of these right now. so its the tampered proof sticker that authenticates the item. is that why people here are weary when they see a sticker that looks tampered?

am i reading it wrong whats on the bottom of the printable

to me its verifying either the autograph from a session or game used item on that specific date. i dont know if mlb throughly thought this through when they first implemented this systems. to me its vague what kind of item is autographed.

i am trying to figure this out so any insight from members would be appreciated.

maybe the dealer who is a forum member can explain what they are buying with an autograph session.

Let's use an example of what can happen if someone relied solely on a MLB COA.

A dishonest seller could have one legitimate ARod bat with the item described above using MLB hologram # LH261098 so they print out 100 of these COAs and if they were to sell forged bats without that exact hologram with only that COA then you would have a problem because you need the hologram'd item then you can print out your own COA.

The hologram on the MLB item is what is important.

I hope I explained that well.

joelsabi
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM

edit:

I could print 20 of these right now.

joelsabi
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Let's use an example of what can happen if someone relied solely on a MLB COA.

A dishonest seller could have one legitimate ARod bat with the item described above using MLB hologram # LH261098 so they print out 100 of these COAs and if they were to sell forged bats without that exact hologram with only that COA then you would have a problem because you need the hologram'd item then you can print out your own COA.

The hologram on the MLB item is what is important.

I hope I explained that well.

andrew,

thats perfect example. thanks

how can you tell if a mlb hologram is tampered or just mishandled. i have seen mlb holograms that have bubbles on them and other with pieces missing.

what are the telltale sign that a mlb hologram has been tampered with?

David
06-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know about the MLB hologram, but the PSA/DNA sticker is criss-cross cut so if someone tries to remove it, it is destroyed. It tears apart into many pieces, with some pieces pulled off and some stuck to the item. This is known as 'tamper evident.' If the MLB hologram is like that, then tampering would be evident.

allstarsplus
06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know about the MLB hologram, but the PSA/DNA sticker is criss-cross cut so if someone tries to remove it, it is destroyed. It tears apart into many pieces, with some pieces pulled off and some stuck to the item. This is known as 'tamper evident.' If the MLB hologram is like that, then tampering would be evident.

The MLB hologram is not criss-cross cut but it is set to fall apart if it is tampered with.