PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Hoyt Wilhelm Orioles Jersey Photo-Matched

ossteve
05-31-2009, 03:27 AM
Here's a shot of my 1960 Hoyt Wilhelm game worn Orioles Road jersey. Unfortunately, the back would not match as it was recycled for spring training use, glad they didn't mess with the front!

Always seeking Game Worn Don Baylor jerseys and a equipment:
http://www.freewebs.com/groove25/index.htm

Vintagedeputy
05-31-2009, 06:21 AM
I do not see the photo match - can you provide more details?

yanks12025
05-31-2009, 07:00 AM
I think he's going by the placement of Baltimore, if the photo is from the same year i say it's a match.

markize
05-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't see the match either. The spacing between the 1 & 5 looks to be way off. Also, the spacing below the "B" down to the script from the where the letter "E" curls back around to looks off to me. I could be wrong. Just my take.

Mark

yanks12025
05-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Mark,
I think the 1 and 5 could be from different folds from being on him compared to a hanger. But now looking at the B compared to the E i think you and vintage are right, no match.

ossteve
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. The getty image is labeled as being shot in 1960. As for the spacing issue: Keep in mind the difference between a jersey hanging relatively flat against a door and one being worn. There are natural folds in both shots. Wilhelm certainly didn't have the pecs of say, a Reggie Jackson, wearing a skin tight knit. Wilhelm appears to have no pecs and a pot belly! The spacing between the 1 and 5 would appear in photo if you pulled it flat on Wilhelm, you can see where the 5 pulls slightly up and in to Wilhelm's right. The spacing between the B and a contours to the flabby pec and would also likely be more obvious if pulled flat in photo of Wilhelm wearing it. I am focusing on the "altimore," especially the space between the l and t and the location of the pin stripe between the two, to me, it is dead on. The eyes on the laughing bird patch are dead on in my opinion as well as the spacing from to of the sleeve to bird head and the bottom of the sleeve to the birds chin. If you don't see it, you don't see it, what can I say beyond, it's always fun to hear the opinions of others out there.
Steve

ndevlin
05-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Just going off the two pics, it looks like the patch doesnt match either. Perhaps it was removed and then restored later on? Just a thought.

suicide_squeeze
05-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. The getty image is labeled as being shot in 1960. As for the spacing issue: Keep in mind the difference between a jersey hanging relatively flat against a door and one being worn. There are natural folds in both shots. Wilhelm certainly didn't have the pecs of say, a Reggie Jackson, wearing a skin tight knit. Wilhelm appears to have no pecs and a pot belly! The spacing between the 1 and 5 would appear in photo if you pulled it flat on Wilhelm, you can see where the 5 pulls slightly up and in to Wilhelm's right. The spacing between the B and a contours to the flabby pec and would also likely be more obvious if pulled flat in photo of Wilhelm wearing it. I am focusing on the "altimore," especially the space between the l and t and the location of the pin stripe between the two, to me, it is dead on. The eyes on the laughing bird patch are dead on in my opinion as well as the spacing from to of the sleeve to bird head and the bottom of the sleeve to the birds chin. If you don't see it, you don't see it, what can I say beyond, it's always fun to hear the opinions of others out there.
Steve

Steve,

Well explained, it's obvious you have a bit of experience in flannels.

This is, IMO, a photo match.

The appearance of the spacing issues mentioned cannot be determined by just these two photos. But if you break down and compare what you do have, unrelated to obvious wrinkles, pulling of the fabric (like the area under Hoyt's left arm, distorting the angle and placement of the 5), you can see it is unlikely everything else could match so perfectly if this jeresy and picture weren't one in the same.

Look at the piping on the vereticle portion of the jersey, and where it crosses over the letters in the "Baltimore" script. In every case, and inbetween the "L" and "T" of Baltimore, the piping runs through and lines up perfectly.

Taking into consideration the other identifiable matches, look at the little tiny "suttle" things, like the fact the "5" on the front appears to "open up" from the top of the finish loop at the very end of the 5, from right to left. What I am referring to is this: If you were to draw a 5 starting at the top, and finishing, in one connected unbroken line to the bottow, look at the area of the 5 where you would finish, in my example. It spreads apart from right to left, meaning the middle portion of the "5" as it runs horizontal accross to start the loop on the bottom, does not match up parrallel with the top end of the finish of the loop on the "5". This also, is a match.

The spacing from the top of the zipper (if in fully zipped-up position) to the dot on top of the "i" in the picture with Hoyt appears identicle to the spacing of this jersey....another match.

And lastly, if you look at the piping that starts it's loop around the neck collar, the flow and angle of the right side, with ever so suttle a difference to the flow on the left (the placement of the stitched-on piping) matches to a tee, in flow and spacing.

And not to argue one's opinion already given by Nate, but I like the patch...it appears to be spaced properly from the end of the sleeve, and again, taking into consideration the picture of this jersey has a serios fold/large wrinkle in the sleeve, and is hanging on a hanger, not a three dimensional shoulder of a human, I can't figure out how this couldn't be the exact same jersey.

Just my observations. In my mind, congrats, you have the exact jersey with a photo match. Obviously, you would do well finding a few more pics.

ndevlin
05-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Thats cool. Its tough to tell from pics. For the patch, I just noticed the members patch has more of an orange outline on the beak, as well as white on the "tongue", though that could just be a glare.

It could just be how the jerseys are laid out too, I just figured since it was recycled in the minors and wherever else it went after, a possible patch removal wasnt totally out of the question.

flaco1801
05-31-2009, 01:52 PM
funny how they changed the back and not the front numbers..... beautiful jersey....

both-teams-played-hard
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
If you don't see it, you don't see it, what can I say beyond, it's always fun to hear the opinions of others out there.

It may be a photo-match, it may not. But no matter what, it's a sweet flannel. PLEASE DO NOT RESTORE THE BACK NUMERALS! Leave as-is...