PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Newcomer

section227
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I've got a closet full of gameworn NHL sweaters, and would like to expand into MLB jerseys. While, the NHL MeiGray program makes authentication easy to understand, the world of MLB seems far less clear. Any references to threads, links, or posts providing some general background on wash tags, authenticity, and game use verification would be greatly appreciated!

gingi79
05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the GUU. I too started with the NHL and moved here for other sports.

I am far from an expert but I think I can chime in with some facts. Majestic game worn/ issued jerseys are tagged inside on the wash tag with codes. 6200 and 6300 are retail. 0062 was the old number for gamers. Cool Base is now 0063.

Depending on the team, there are also tags on the lower hem that indicate set, year and size. I know the Braves normally do this but not always.

Unlike MeiGray, there is no company that handles a dozen teams. Many simply do their game worn programs themselves. Exceptions are companies like Steiner (who handles the Yanks, Red Sox and Mets) However, their prices make MeiGray's seem cheap.

Also this site has a ton of knowlegable collectors on everything from Helmets to baseball jerseys to jock straps. If you see something you are interested in online, post a question and a link, you will be amazed at how much you will learn.

section227
05-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Incredibly helpful! The "wash tag" references always confused. So is it fair to assume that, absent fraud, a jersey with a proper wash tag is at least game issued? And that the real question becomes documenting game use of a properly tagged jersey?

kingjammy24
05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
So is it fair to assume that, absent fraud, a jersey with a proper wash tag is at least game issued?

unfortunately, no. i think wash codes have been overblown to an extent. solid, legit gamers have been found with "retail" codes and retail stores have been found selling jerseys with "pro" codes. procuts (jerseys that were never even intended to be game-issued) have "pro" codes. even on a majestic jersey, i'd say the wash code is only 1/10th of the puzzle in figuring out whether it's a legit gamer.

besides, wash tag codes only apply to majestic jerseys. wilson, rawlings and russell were major suppliers in the past and in those cases, wash codes are non-existent.

it's impossible to nutshell the ABCs of baseball jerseys. if you're genuinely interested in starting to collect baseball shirts, henderson's guide provides a great introduction:

http://www.mlbstyleguides.com/

http://www.mlbstyleguides.com/refguide.html

rudy.