PDA

View Full Version : OT: Manny an All Star???

xpress34
05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
And here's more proof that the All Star Game is nothing more than a Popularity Contest - it doesn't matter how well you have played so far in the season - or in Manny's case, if you have even played much at all...

http://www.comcast.net/sports/vitosview/2900/byvotingformannyfansgettostickittobaseball/

Just another Black Eye for MLB...

- Chris

Mr.3000
05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
The AS Game has been a popularity contest for decades. Nothing new.

yanks12025
05-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree. I don't understand in the AL how Pedroia is higher than Cano when Robinson Cano has had a better season than him. Same thing with 1st base, i think Justin Morneau should win it but Kevin Youkilis is leading. And Johnny Damon is 11th for outfield. Damon has had better numbers than these players leading him(Ellsbury,Sizemore,Ken Griffey Jr.). It's because of these bandwagon red sox fans who just vote for their players, they know nothing about baseball.

suicide_squeeze
05-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey Yanks, express34, and Mr3000,

Here's my take, and before I even go there, I agree with you all...

But...

Being a Dodger fan, I feel that Juan Pierre deserves a starting spot on the AS game. He has filled in for Manny with incredible numbers (batting over .400 consistently as their lead-off hitter, 20 RBI in such a short time...) but I will not lose any sleep if Manny get's a starting spot on the NL team. To be honest, Juan probably doesn't even show on the radar, and that's a travesty in itself. But it IS a popularity contest. And guys like Damon, who IS having a wonderful year and deserves a starting spot, will get dumped on unless the N.Y. fans step it up.

Meanwhile, over in Beantown, I'm sure the "fans" are hitting up every single email addy they've ever registered under, and are clicking off an entire starting line-up of Red Sox players 25 times as fast as they can type in the "code" to vote.....

But I'm OK with it if Manny gets a starting nod.

Why? Even after how I lambasted him after his little embarrassing fertility use surfaced?......because when it comes to the game itself, our buddy Bud "the Geek" Selig has made the game matter.

And with runs coming at a premium in the AS games because of the talent on the pitching end, why wouldn't I as a NL fan want a guy who can put the baseball in the seats with the flick of the wrists?

Void of the home field advantage the game dictates in the World Series....I'd say Manny can watch the game from the Domican Republic on satellite, and like it. But since "it matters".....I have to think it behooves any NL fan to make every attempt to field the best, most powerful, team.

bigtruck260
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey Yanks, express34, and Mr3000,

Here's my take, and before I even go there, I agree with you all...

But...

Being a Dodger fan, I feel that Juan Pierre deserves a starting spot on the AS game. He has filled in for Manny with incredible numbers (batting over .400 consistently as their lead-off hitter, 20 RBI in such a short time...) but I will not lose any sleep if Manny get's a starting spot on the NL team. To be honest, Juan probably doesn't even show on the radar, and that's a travesty in itself. But it IS a popularity contest. And guys like Damon, who IS having a wonderful year and deserves a starting spot, will get dumped on unless the N.Y. fans step it up.

Meanwhile, over in Beantown, I'm sure the "fans" are hitting up every single email addy they've ever registered under, and are clicking off an entire starting line-up of Red Sox players 25 times as fast as they can type in the "code" to vote.....

But I'm OK with it if Manny gets a starting nod.

Why? Even after how I lambasted him after his little embarrassing fertility use surfaced?......because when it comes to the game itself, our buddy Bud "the Geek" Selig has made the game matter.

And with runs coming at a premium in the AS games because of the talent on the pitching end, why wouldn't I as a NL fan want a guy who can put the baseball in the seats with the flick of the wrists?

Void of the home field advantage the game dictates in the World Series....I'd say Manny can watch the game from the Domican Republic on satellite, and like it. But since "it matters".....I have to think it behooves any NL fan to make every attempt to field the best, most powerful, team.

Suicide - some of your posts make my head hurt, but this one is entertaining...and pretty logical. Your are obviously a fan who wears emotions on his sleeve - and I can appreciate that.

justinwc80
05-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I realize I'm biased but the Reds are 1.5 games out of first in the strongest NL division and not a single player is in the top 5 at any position. Joey Votto should at least get some consideration along with Cueto. Manny shouldn't even be considered, how can he when he can't play 50 games?

Rob L
05-28-2009, 06:38 PM
It always seems like they put the ballot out earlier and earlier. One week into the season, and it seems that the ballot is ready to go out. It would definitely be better if MLB waited, figured out who was playing AS caliber baseball and then making the ballot from that. It's a joke the way it is done now.

NEFAN
05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I agree. I don't understand in the AL how Pedroia is higher than Cano when Robinson Cano has had a better season than him. Same thing with 1st base, i think Justin Morneau should win it but Kevin Youkilis is leading. And Johnny Damon is 11th for outfield. Damon has had better numbers than these players leading him(Ellsbury,Sizemore,Ken Griffey Jr.). It's because of these bandwagon red sox fans who just vote for their players, they know nothing about baseball.

Bandwagon? I agree the selection is a farce, but, how does a bunch of fans voting for their favorite players put them on the "bandwagon"? The system is what it is.

Mr.3000
05-28-2009, 07:01 PM
It always seems like they put the ballot out earlier and earlier. One week into the season, and it seems that the ballot is ready to go out. It would definitely be better if MLB waited, figured out who was playing AS caliber baseball and then making the ballot from that. It's a joke the way it is done now.

Couldn't have been said any better.

AWA85
05-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I realize I'm biased but the Reds are 1.5 games out of first in the strongest NL division and not a single player is in the top 5 at any position. Joey Votto should at least get some consideration along with Cueto. Manny shouldn't even be considered, how can he when he can't play 50 games?

I agree the Reds do not have a lot of STAR type players, think Votto is the only position player that has a chance and that is if he keeps playing and this dizziness thing goes away. Either way Albert and Adrian Gonzalez are ahead of him. On the plus side I think Cueto has a shot if he gets a few more wins and I would say Co Co may be a lock if he keeps it up.

suicide_squeeze
05-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Suicide - some of your posts make my head hurt, but this one is entertaining...and pretty logical. Your are obviously a fan who wears emotions on his sleeve - and I can appreciate that.

Why thank you Dave.......................I think?;)

metsbats
05-28-2009, 10:49 PM
The All Star game voting should be taken out of the hands of the fans.

If that's not done MLB should rename the game the People's Choice Game

David
05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
How a player is playing so far this season should be influential, but I don't believe the All Star Game is supposed to be about who was the best player in the first half of the season. Especially considering all votes are cast even before the before the first half of the seasons ends, voter consideration of past performance should be expected and is reasonable (in my opinion).

David
05-28-2009, 11:15 PM
To me, the more comical case is Rafael Palmeiro winning the 1999 Gold Glove for first base even though he played only 28 games at first. Most of the games he didn't even field (designated hitter).

Mr.3000
05-28-2009, 11:41 PM
The All Star game voting should be taken out of the hands of the fans.

If that's not done MLB should rename the game the People's Choice Game

Exactly!

I also can't stand the AS game deciding home field for the WS. That's ridiculous. But then again...Bud Selig is a MORON.

metsbats
05-29-2009, 06:42 AM
I actually think playing for the home field advantage in the WS is one of the good things about the ASG. It's incentive to do well in the game and better than a coin flip:D (make them work for it!)

Mr.3000
05-29-2009, 06:48 AM
I actually think playing for the home field advantage in the WS is one of the good things about the ASG. It's incentive to do well in the game and better than a coin flip:D (make them work for it!)

I see your point.....and in todays game......with todays players....I agree.

I guess I just miss the good old days when players were proud to have been selected as an All Star, proud to represent their respective teams and they played like winners.....they didn't "opt out" or decline to play because they couldn't wear their baggy jerseys or pants or because they wanted to rest or because of a blister...etc