PDA

View Full Version : Baseball card storage

nomo121
05-26-2009, 03:50 PM
What is the best way to store baseball cards? I like the binder method, as they are portable and I can view them in a convenient way. However, I'm worried about some of my cards getting damaged (like auto cards). I'd really like to use the binder method, but find those card pages big enough to hold cards in those thicker indivdiual card holders. Any ideas?

WadeInBmore
05-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I leave the key cards of my collection in my display case for my enjoyment and the others I have stored in an old card catalogue from a library. The drawers are the perfect size for an 800 count box and depending on the size of your collection/card catalogue you can designate one year and make per drawer. I dig it. People always ask about it and then when they see all the hard work and organizing that I have done people normally really dig it. Good Luck.

wade

joelsabi
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Try to get the D-shaped rings so that the pages lie flatter than they would in a regular 3-ring binder

mdube16
05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
The best way to keep and protect your cards is to use Top Loaders or the magnetic holders, then store them in a "shoebox" for cards. They can too easily be damaged in plastic sheets.

AWA85
05-26-2009, 07:55 PM
MDUBE16 - I shot you an email the other day.

Thanks

ndevlin
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
The key to storing cards is the penny sleeve. Those things are cheap and really protect the corners. On all of my vintage cards, each one is placed in a penny sleeve, then placed in a toploader if they are a star. Either way, they are then placed in a 5,000 count white box you can buy at your local card shop for a couple bucks.

Most people think the screw downs are the best for cards. It really isnt. Try putting a PSA 10 card in a screw down and shake it for 10 minutes. You'll have a PSA 3 real quick.

Penny sleeve-toploader-white box. Best way to go. Binders are probably the worst, unless they are 89-90 Score.

Vintagedeputy
05-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Get them slabbed - SGC is the best!

spartakid
05-26-2009, 09:01 PM
I haven't had the magnetics holders fail me yet. The good ones have a groove around the corners so that the corners are not even touching the case. These are the best in my opinion and the best way to protect the corners, which are easily the part most often damaged. Ricardo

David
05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
As someone who has collected, bought and sold cards from Old Judges to Refractors, nothing beats penny sleeves with top holders for singles. Great protection, cheap and you can look at them all you want. For bulk, 800 count boxes are great. I've always been wary of binders/albums, but lots of people use them.

joelsabi
05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
As someone who has collected, bought and sold cards from Old Judges to Refractors, nothing beats penny sleeves with top holders for singles. Great protection, cheap and you can look at them all you want. For bulk, 800 count boxes are great. I've always been wary of binders/albums, but lots of people use them.

i have to agree on high end stuff that penny sleeves and top holders works well.

for commons D-shaped ring binders should work nicely. they seem to lay flat better than other binders. when the binders dont lay flat, the cards could be accidently damaged

xpress34
05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
This has been a debate between a friend of mine and I for some time... for his sets, he uses 9 Card pocket pages and Binders - for my sets, I penny sleeve and top load EVERY card and store in 4 row (3200 count) 'mini monster' boxes.

For singles he penny sleeves and top loads - I use magnetic holders and sleeve each holder (if it's going in a box) in a team bag to keep the holders from getting scratched (at $1 + a holder, they are an investment two when you have a few hundred to a few thousand cards in them! - especially ultra thick magnetics which cost almost $5 each!).

If I am displaying a card in one of my cases with McFarlane figs, auto ball, hat... whatever, I don't put the team bag on it as it detracts from seeing the card clearly.

Finally, for smaller team sets (i.e. my Allen & Ginter Rockies team sets where I have had each card autographed by the players) I use 9 Card team frames which have a recess for each card and I can show off the entire team set in one place.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
05-26-2009, 10:45 PM
I forgot to mention - having been in the card side for almost 30 years now, the early 'plastic' pages are terrible for your cards - they can and will stick to the cardboard over time and they will tear the cards if you try to peel them out...

At least the newer Ultra Pro pages and such are made of acid free mylars and such (like the penny sleeves) so they don't stick to your cards over time...

- Chris

KrAzY3
05-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I stopped using pages a long time ago, it's just way too easy to damage a card taking it in or out. I have contemplated getting the 4 slot pages for postcards and using them for cards in holders but I haven't found any in a store yet and I don't want to order 100.

Anyway, I use a penny sleeve first, this is important as it is soft and keeps the card from coming in contact with a unforgiving surface. Then, I put them in a top loader. The downside of a top loader over the older ultra pros is that debris can get inside (technically the semi-rigids might be best for cards because they have don't move around but it makes me nervous taking them in and out. Anyway, once I put a good card inside a top loader I then use a team bag. It's a good fit and it insures the card never falls out and dust and moisture stay out of the sleeve. It's about as good as the protection will get short of "slabbing" it.

nomo121
05-28-2009, 07:44 AM
I didn't think of the postcard pages, so they can fit top loaders. You can get smaller packs of those pages at Office Depot.

I like the binder, b/c I can keep them together, then look through them easily. I collect bats, and most of my wall space is dedicated to that, or a few other things.

Thanks

OaklandAsFan
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I use Ikea closets with drawers. Each drawer holds about 15k cards when you leave space to flip through them. I put decent cards in penny loaders and cards with money in penny loaders and top loaders and keep them separate. I also have a drawer full of autographed cards that are all in penny and top loaders.

Cards are all in alphabetical order and I used balsa wood as separaters.

skinsfan0521
05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Do you have any idea how much that Ikea closet costs? I really like that idea. It certainly would un-clutter my collection

Thanks!

-Brian

OaklandAsFan
05-28-2009, 10:06 AM
there are two different size cabinets. There is a 93" and a 80" height and there are two different widths. Costs are 70-90 for the frames then the drawers cost $80 for a pack of two. I bought them a few years ago and they work great.

skinsfan0521
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
So, after a quick look in Ikea's website, it looks like you're talking about buying what they call a "wardrobe frame" and then buying "komplement" drawers for it? Is that correct?

Then I'm guessing you also bought that top shelf also?

Thanks a lot!

-Brian

OaklandAsFan
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
yeah they are PAX frames and Komplement drawers. and yes the shelf is also a separate purchase and comes in a two pack as well if I remember correctly.