PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols 2001 American Flag jersey

sportsgameused
05-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I will pay for photos of Albert Pujols which show the back of his jersey from 2001 with the American Flag stitched above the nameplate.

Birdbats
05-07-2006, 09:28 AM
There are a few shots on Getty Images -- search "Pujols 2001" and you'll see both home and road. If you're trying to deterimine the legitimacy of a post-9/11 2001 Cardinals jersey and have any specific questions, feel free to send me an e-mail at birdbats@charter.net. In my experience, there are a few obvious tipoffs that distinguish the real ones from the questionable ones.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

sportsgameused
05-07-2006, 09:55 AM
The jersey does not match the photos on getty images. The thing I noticed by doing the search was that all Pujols and Larussa jerseys which I have found so far have the flag and the nameplate about 2-2.5 inches apart. The jersey I am looking at has only about 1/2 of an inch between the nameplate and the flag. The jersey has a letter of authenticity from a friend of "noted Cardinals historian" Jeff Sullivan and the letter says the jersey was purchased from Jeff Sullivan during 2004. That is why I believe the jersey to be authentic b/c according to American Memorabilia there is no better source for Cardinals game used jerseys. Is it possible for this jersey to have been added with an american flag (being it is a set 1) BUT NEVER WORN ONCE THE FLAG WAS ADDED? The jersey shows nice use along the beltline and I am interested in the jersey if I can authenticate it. I belive the jersey to be legit but I will not commit to owning it until I can hear back from Jeff Sullivan and possibly get one of his LOA's along with the story behind the jersey. Or a photo match would work if anybody had a pic showing 2001 cardnals players with the nameplate close to the flag?

sportsgameused
05-07-2006, 10:03 AM
I have found pics on getty images of Jim Edmonds wearing a jersey with the nameplate very close to the american flag so that makes it possible.

If Jeff Sullivan could respond to this........How many different white jerseys with the flag do you think Pujols wore after September 11th? And do you think there were set 1 jerseys with the flag added but never worn after the flag was added?

Birdbats
05-07-2006, 10:13 AM
The 2001 flag jerseys that I know to be real have about 7/8" to 1" of space between the flag and the top of the plate and have Set 2 tagging. The questionable jerseys I've seen have the flag much closer, almost touching in some cases, and they all seem to be Set 1.

If your photo doesn't match Getty photos, that's good reason for caution. Remember, the Cardinals didn't play that many games after the flag was attached. I think they had 11 home games and 2 home playoff games (I'm assuming the jersey in question is white). Pujols was still a rookie -- he likely didn't have more than 1-2 home/road jerseys at that point of the season.

Jeff

sportsgameused
05-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Are you thinking that the Set 1 jerseys with the American Flag are gamers which had the flag added later? If so, then would I want to remove the flag. I know the white sox added w.s. patches to all of their jerseys and I was wondering if Jeff Sullivan's connection in the clubhouse did the same. I believe the jersey may be a gamer b/c I highly doubt Jeff Sullivan would sell a fake to one of his buddies.

sportsgameused
05-07-2006, 10:55 AM
The 2001 flag jerseys that I know to be real have about 7/8" to 1" of space between the flag and the top of the plate and have Set 2 tagging. The questionable jerseys I've seen have the flag much closer, almost touching in some cases, and they all seem to be Set 1.

If your photo doesn't match Getty photos, that's good reason for caution. Remember, the Cardinals didn't play that many games after the flag was attached. I think they had 11 home games and 2 home playoff games (I'm assuming the jersey in question is white). Pujols was still a rookie -- he likely didn't have more than 1-2 home/road jerseys at that point of the season.

Jeff

The Pujols pic on getty images looks to have almost 2" worth of spacing. I would love to see a pic of the jersey he wore in the playoffs that year b/c the edmonds jersey from the plaoffs looks like the stitching is close too.

ahuff
05-07-2006, 05:42 PM
I was just wondering if you had talked to Jeff. He probably would remember the jersey.

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I have tried to contact Jeff via this forum but have not heard back from him. I wish he would add his insight to this thread. I have heard he id going to write a letter from the jersey from the person who sold my contact the jersey. However, I am not sure what verbage he intends to use.

Eric
05-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I have tried to contact Jeff via this forum but have not heard back from him. I wish he would add his insight to this thread. I have heard he id going to write a letter from the jersey from the person who sold my contact the jersey. However, I am not sure what verbage he intends to use.

I have tried to contact you via this forum. Please email me at ecky3@aol.com
I sent you a private message and sent an email to the hotmail address you signed up with and have not heard from you. Please respond to me ASAP
Eric

Eric
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Thank you for the response. I appreciate you emailing me
Eric

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I have tried to contact you via this forum. Please email me at ecky3@aol.com
I sent you a private message and sent an email to the hotmail address you signed up with and have not heard from you. Please respond to me ASAP
Eric

Eric, You must have just today sent me an email. I don't check my email by the hour so forgive me for not replying sooner. Please check your email now and/or your junk mailbox.

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Thank you for the response. I appreciate you emailing me
Eric

We posted at the same time.

Eric
05-09-2006, 09:17 AM
The jersey has a letter of authenticity from a friend of "noted Cardinals historian" Jeff Sullivan and the letter says the jersey was purchased from Jeff Sullivan during 2004. That is why I believe the jersey to be authentic b/c according to American Memorabilia there is no better source for Cardinals game used jerseys. Is it possible for this jersey to have been added with an american flag (being it is a set 1) BUT NEVER WORN ONCE THE FLAG WAS ADDED? The jersey shows nice use along the beltline and I am interested in the jersey if I can authenticate it. I belive the jersey to be legit but I will not commit to owning it until I can hear back from Jeff Sullivan and possibly get one of his LOA's along with the story behind the jersey.

Sportsgameused-

Did you try to contact Mr. Sullivan? He puts his email address on his various sales on this forum. If you send him a respectful email with all of your contact information, who knows, maybe he'll give you call with the info you're looking for.
Eric