PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Slugger bat question for all forum members!

gameused
05-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Question for the forum members?

1. How many of you are looking to add a 2009 Louisville Slugger 125-year anniversary bat to you collection this year?

2. If you were looking at two 2009 Louisville Slugger bats of your favorite player (assuming he's using LVS bats) and they pretty much had the same amount of game use on the bat, would you pay more for the bat with the 125th logo vs a 2009 bat without the 125th logo?

Just curious and would appreciate your input.

Personally, I think these bats will be highly collectible, similar to the 1976 Bi-cenntennial bats and would pay a premium for one.

Thanks, Bobby

suicide_squeeze
05-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Bobby,

It's all about whatever floats your boat.

I don't collect bats for the stampings per se, but I would offer that when you find a bat you've been looking for, the quality of the stampings (or lack there-of) sure effects my decision.

I happen to like the 125 year stampings. It identifies the year of the bat as a one year model, which is always a desireable +. That said, you'll find guys who like to have the athlete sign a gamer on the "sweet spot" of the bat.....which the new stamping has occupied!:eek:

So that puts us back to square one....some of us will love the stamping, some will have little of an opinion, some could care less if it's there or not because the only thing that will matter is who's bat it is, and if it fills that "void" in their collection, and some may not prefer it because it's placement is in a place they would prefer to have a signature.

So now that I've offered you absolutely no support at all in an angle to your question,:D .....I hope you find an answer that suites you!!

Regards,

Steve

BMH
05-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I personally can't wait for this year to be over with! One foil stamper...four brands, makes for a lot of extra work.

metsbats
05-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I think the 76 Bicentennial bats will always be rarer then the 2009 125th Anniversary stamped bats for obvious reasons. With the introduction to the bat's birth dates stamped into the knobs too it will make it a science to pinpoint any 2009 and future bats to the year like with Rawlings bats.

That said I think while there will be a premium to the 2009's it will not be much unless the bat is from the team that wins the WS or if 2009 proves to be a milestone year for a player.

grenda12
05-24-2009, 09:56 PM
At the White Sox Garage Sale only 2 players bats had the 125th Ann. logo on it. They were Josh Fields and Brian Anderson.

gameused
05-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I personally can't wait for this year to be over with! One foil stamper...four brands, makes for a lot of extra work.

Brian,

Thanks for your post and for the valuable information you provide to the GUF members.

I know you mentioned in a previous thread that you shrunk down the size of the 125th logo. Looking at the bats pictured, specifically the Dustin Pedroia bat, is that the smaller version of the 125th logo? Also, what was the date you guys change the logo to the smaller version?

Thanks, Bobby

joelsabi
05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
That said, you'll find guys who like to have the athlete sign a gamer on the "sweet spot" of the bat.....which the new stamping has occupied!:eek:

good point. its covering the desired spot for autographs. :(

redoctober
05-25-2009, 10:23 AM
BMH -- I am curious, are there any players that have requested no 125 anniv branding (similar to some cases with the MLB logo 10 yrs ago)??

suave1477
05-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I would have to agree with the other member, it's whatever floats your boat.
I know the bi-centennial's are more desireable to some but in all honesty not me.
I think I would pay a couple dollars more for the 125th anniversary bat but just that a COUPLE of dollars.

Also to put into perspective
The Bi Cenntenial was a stamp which represents the anniversary of our country.
Not a stamp representing an Anniversary of a company (No offense Brian)

sox83cubs84
05-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't pay extra for the 125th Anniversary logo...but then the bats in my collection are rarely bought...usually they are items traded to me by in-uniform MLB players and coaches for items I have that they want. I'm sure by season's end, I'll have a logo bat of someone, favorite or otherwise.:)

Dave M.
Chicago area

BMH
05-25-2009, 07:25 PM
BMH -- I am curious, are there any players that have requested no 125 anniv branding (similar to some cases with the MLB logo 10 yrs ago)??

Yeah, there is a list of players who don't want the logo on their bats. I've even had one say he thinks it weakens the wood...

momen55
05-25-2009, 08:07 PM
who is using knobless bats these days? anyone know? i wouldn't mind having one of those. :confused:

gameused
05-25-2009, 08:28 PM
BMH,

I posted a question on the first page for you.

Thanks, Bobby

BMH
05-25-2009, 10:39 PM
We switched in either March or April, can't remember.

bigtruck260
05-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I think the only Cardinal that I have seen (Jeff can correct me) use that logo is Colby Rasmus. Most of the starters use Marucci, X-Bat, Sam, or Rawlings. Maybe some secondary bats - or bench players...or pitchers - but nobody that I will collect, so the answer is NOPE. I congratulate LS on the acheivement, but I like things understated and simple.

MY favorite bat to this day is an unfinished ash LS 113.

cordovacollector
05-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Personally, I would like to add one to my collection. LVS is my favorite bat company so I do like having LVS variations. I'll take an old H&B with age patina over a current player any day. With the sweet spot being taken, it would probably remain an unsigned bat though.

(I've been trying to find a reasonably priced Bicentennial bat for years. Don't even care what player. Let me know if anyone has one.)

BMH
05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I think the only Cardinal that I have seen (Jeff can correct me) use that logo is Colby Rasmus. Most of the starters use Marucci, X-Bat, Sam, or Rawlings. Maybe some secondary bats - or bench players...or pitchers - but nobody that I will collect, so the answer is NOPE. I congratulate LS on the acheivement, but I like things understated and simple.

MY favorite bat to this day is an unfinished ash LS 113.

I agree, it makes the bat too "busy" for my taste.