PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers to use PINK bats for Mother's Day

astros*bats
05-06-2006, 06:52 PM
The Texas Rangers have announced that most of the players will use PINK bats on Mother's Day, May 14th. The Pink Louisville Sluggers will bear the name of each player's mother on the barrel. The bats will then be auctioned off after the game.

How hideous are these bats going to look and is anyone interested in picking one up?

Yankwood
05-06-2006, 08:12 PM
The Texas Rangers have announced that most of the players will use PINK bats on Mother's Day, May 14th. The Pink Louisville Sluggers will bear the name of each player's mother on the barrel. The bats will then be auctioned off after the game.

How hideous are these bats going to look and is anyone interested in picking one up?Pink has always been my color.

vintagesportscollector
05-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I wonder what Keith Hernandez would think of Pink bats in the dugout?:p

suave1477
05-06-2006, 09:09 PM
I would pick one up just for the fun of it:rolleyes:

BULBUS
05-10-2006, 12:42 PM
i'm a yankees and derek jeter fan. he is going to be using a pink bat on sunday. this will be the first time in a long time that he uses a bat that isnt black. how can the BOSS allow this :confused: :D

Pink bats to help benefit breast cancer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Hulking Jim Thome. Rugged Manny Ramirez. Brawny Adam Dunn. "The thought of these big macho men, swinging pink bats to help women with breast cancer ... what a novel idea," Louisville Slugger president John Hillerich said Tuesday.

Major League Baseball granted special permission for players to use the colorful bats - baby pink, at that - for Mother's Day. They're part of a weeklong program to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.
Derek Jeter, David Eckstein and Marcus Giles are among dozens of players who intend to try them Sunday. This is the first time pink has been approved for bats - dyed at the Louisville Slugger factory, they're usually black, brown, reddish or white.
Kevin Mench was among several Texas players who wanted their mother's names burned on the bats. The Rangers slugger, who homered in seven straight games earlier this season, also planned to have a bat for his grandmother, who died from breast cancer.
"My mom is the glue of our family, and I just want to do something to thank her for all that she has done," Mench said before Tuesday night's game against Minnesota. "At the same time, we are raising money for a great cause."
Howard Smith, senior vice president for licensing for MLB, said the idea for the pink bats struck a chord with commissioner Bud Selig and other executives. The question was how many players would use the sticks.
"It takes a big man to swing a pink bat in a major league game," Smith said.
More than 400 bats were being made for 50-plus players. David Ortiz, Jim Edmonds, Mark Teixeira, Michael Young and Hank Blalock were also on the list.
The Louisville Slugger factory started making the bats last week. Players were still placing orders as of Tuesday, and bats will probably be made and shipped overnight until Thursday or Friday.
"The response has been phenomenal," Hillerich said.
The bats posed something of a logistical problem for Louisville Slugger. Each player uses a different model and size, so coloring, branding and shipping them for Sunday's game has been a challenge, company spokesman Dan Burgess said. Along with the pink bats, players and all on-field personnel will wear pink wristbands and a pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness on their uniforms. The pink ribbon logo will appear on the bases and on commemorative home plates, and the lineups will be written on pink cards. The bats, along with the home plates and lineup cards, will be autographed by the teams and will be auctioned off later with the proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

suave1477
05-10-2006, 12:53 PM
BulBus well you know what they say about Jeter and AROD, so the pink might be fitting???????
lol lol lol:D

sorry had to throw that one in there.

Eric
05-10-2006, 12:59 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/2006/05/09/pink_bats250.jpg

ChrisCavalier
05-10-2006, 01:25 PM
i'm a yankees and derek jeter fan. he is going to be using a pink bat on sunday. this will be the first time in a long time that he uses a bat that isnt black. how can the BOSS allow this :confused: :D
It sounds like this is for a good cause. I just hope next year they aren't going to ask the players to wear pink uniforms. ;)

-Chris

indyred
06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Anybody know what happened to these bats. The game was a rain out vs. Boston and they never used them. Same goes for the Red Sox. Will these ever be used or auctioned as game issued or something along those lines. Neither teams bats have hit mlb.com auctions that I've seen.