PDA

View Full Version : Question About Restoring MLB Patch..

Lokee
05-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a couple game used jersey's from 1994 and you can visibly see where the MLB 125th patches where removed. One shows stitching and some residue (glue) and the other shows alot of residue and not so much stitching.

First off I have no clue why they where removed to begin with.

Should I leave these "as is" or should I add the patch back on. Also If I add the patch back on it it really called restoring since the Team took the patch off to begin with.

Comments ?

Lokee
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Jersey's are Boston Red Sox Tom Brunansky and Otis Nixon. Thanks

kingjammy24
05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
it is a restoration since the patch you'd be adding wasn't the original one and since the addition wasn't done by the team or manufacturer.

you're bringing it back to the original condition, hence you're restoring it.

what would i personally do? leave it off. i don't like restorations. i like items to be the as close as possible to the way they were when they left the team. that's just me though.

rudy.

Lokee
05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
gotcha Rudy I see what you are saying and it makes sense.:)

reed1216
05-22-2009, 05:39 PM
I totally agree with Rudy. When I see the term "restored" on an item, I usually flip to the next item.

I had a 1997 Andy Pettitte jersey with the Jackie Robinsin patch removed. It sounds very similar to your situation and while I would have preferred the jersey with the patch, I would never do anything to alter a jersey.

Conversely, I own a 1996-97 Coyotes Jeremy Roenick jersey that I purchased directly from MeiGray. Roenick was not one of the alternate captains that year, but my jersey has the "A" affixed to it. Apparently, the team added the "A" in preparation for the following preseason, when he was an alternate captain. While I would prefer the jersey not having the "A" (as it would be more representative of what he wore in 1996-97), I wouldn't remove it because it was placed there by the team.

In my opinion, these patch issues are part of a jerseys history and should not be altered by collectors. Just my 2 cents...

reed1216
05-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Also, with regard to the Pettitte jersey I mentioned, the patch may have been removed so it could be worn the following season. While I can't be certain of this, the same might be the case with your jerseys with the patches removed....

Lokee
05-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Also, with regard to the Pettitte jersey I mentioned, the patch may have been removed so it could be worn the following season. While I can't be certain of this, the same might be the case with your jerseys with the patches removed....

most likely not as it was Tom's last year in MLB and Otis went to play with Texas.

Either way I will probably leave them as they are. Thanks for the opinions guys !

sox83cubs84
05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
I remember seeing the Cubs in Mesa during the real (not replacement) 1995 spring training. At home, they were wearing the 1994 home gamers with patches removed. The stainage and other residue from the 1994 patches were so obvious that they were an eyesore...you could see them 10 rows off the field!:eek: I personally have no problems with quality restoration, but such restorations, whether NOBs, patches, or whatever, should ALWAYS be disclosed to a potential buyer/trader.

Dave M.
Chicago area