PDA

View Full Version : Create the Hall of Famer

Nathan
05-21-2009, 11:24 PM
On another forum I'm on, we started a game of "create the Hall of Famer". It's pretty basic...you take an eligible non-HOFer and combine him with another eligible non-HOFer and figure out where the composite would rank all-time.

My favorite is this one. Try to imagine a catcher that combined the offense of Ted Simmons with the defense of Jim Sundberg. Not only would he be in Cooperstown for sure, but we'd be looking at someone who would rank among the top five catchers in history.

At third, I like a combination of Darrell Evans and any 3rd baseman with a .300 batting average. The only thing that prevents Evans from being a serious HOF candidate is his batting average (.248 in 2,687 games). This would put him into the top seven, which would still be behind Ron Santo (who should already be in).

Who else can conjure up a HOFer? I only ask to refrain from the obvious like Mark McGwire.

sportscentury
05-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Not sure if this is open to basketball, but, if so, I would go with
Shane Battier's relentless defense plus Amare Stoudamire's dynamic offense -- with this combo, you'd have a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Neither one will make the Hall, though.

cordovacollector
05-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Not sure if this is open to basketball, but, if so, I would go with
Shane Battier's relentless defense plus Amare Stoudamire's dynamic offense -- with this combo, you'd have a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Neither one will make the Hall, though.

Tony Oliva + Cal Ripken Jr. = O. Mi. Hof

sportscentury
05-22-2009, 01:23 AM

??

Vintagedeputy
05-22-2009, 05:36 AM
On another forum I'm on, we started a game of "create the Hall of Famer". It's pretty basic...you take an eligible non-HOFer and combine him with another eligible non-HOFer and figure out where the composite would rank all-time.

My favorite is this one. Try to imagine a catcher that combined the offense of Ted Simmons with the defense of Jim Sundberg. Not only would he be in Cooperstown for sure, but we'd be looking at someone who would rank among the top five catchers in history.

At third, I like a combination of Darrell Evans and any 3rd baseman with a .300 batting average. The only thing that prevents Evans from being a serious HOF candidate is his batting average (.248 in 2,687 games). This would put him into the top seven, which would still be behind Ron Santo (who should already be in).

Who else can conjure up a HOFer? I only ask to refrain from the obvious like Mark McGwire.

Darrell Evans + Bill Madlock

Madlock was a 3rd baseman (1400 games) and a 3 time all star with a lifetime .305 average. He had 4 NL batting championships and a WS championship to his credit in "79.

TriplexXxSports
05-22-2009, 06:44 AM
I would take all the 'Roid Boys' and put them into one 'HULK' player! 195 HR, 6015 RBI's, and a .965 Batting Average in a single season.

Now that is a HOF'er! :D

suave1477
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM

uuuuum don't get it????:rolleyes:

5kRunner
05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
How about Andre Dawson + 2 Healthy Knees
or
Andre Dawson - Astro Turf in Olympic Stadium

Not really what you were talking about, so I'll throw this out there for good measure.

Mark Grace + Fred McGriff's power

joelsabi
05-22-2009, 11:06 AM

I think it has to do with the reoccurring collector injury she has :rolleyes:

bigtruck260
05-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm Game -

Dale Murphy: 398 HR,1266 RBI, .265 BA (2xMVP)
Willie McGee: 352 SB, .295 BA, 2254 H (2x Batting champ and 1x MVP)

Wille Murphy or Dale McGee:

477HR, 513 SB, 2122 RBI, 4365 H, .280 BA (3MVP, 7 Gold Gloves, 11 AS appearances, 2 batting titles, 2 HR titles)

That's a heck of a player...and a HOFer. More hits than Rose...3rd All time in RBI...and a GREAT defensive center fielder.

There - that's my contribution. Nice thread.:D

cordovacollector
05-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I think it has to do with the reoccurring collector injury she has :rolleyes:

Hello?? Hello? Where am I?? :confused:

cordovacollector
05-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Oh, My!! Hall Of Famer!

Collector injuries - not responsible for posts made after midnight.

Fnazxc0114
05-22-2009, 09:17 PM
i thought all you had to do to make the hall was be a half arsed player for either thr sox or yanks

Nathan
05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
i thought all you had to do to make the hall was be a half arsed player for either thr sox or yanks

In fairness, the BBWAA has done a very good job of selecting the right players; I can think of three off the top of my head that they put in who I don't believe belong (Drysdale, Jim Rice, and Catfish Hunter).

The Veterans Committee, particularly during the 1940s and 1970s, was an absolute abomination. From those decades alone, you could probably find good reason to reject half of their selections at even the most cursory glance.

I do like the Darrell Evans + Bill Madlock combination; that'd be a top-10 third baseman.

I'll also submit Jay Bell's offense plus Marty Marion's defense; the offense would be roughly absolute league average, but Marion was about 20% worse than average while being about 15% better than average on defense (one of the highest if not the highest mark for shortstops in history).

Capital-Sports
05-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Ben Grieve + Travis Lee = Hall of Fame to me :eek:

GarkoCollector
05-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Ivan Rodriguez + Mike Piazza = Best Catcher of all time.

earlywynnfan
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
How about Edgar Martinez + Vic Power? Great glove plus great batting.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

joelsabi
05-24-2009, 08:24 AM
The ability of a Mantle, the integrity of a Ripken, the Sportsmanship of a Gehrig, Character of a Clemente, and the contribution of a Jeter

sportscentury
05-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that this topic worked out better in the other forum.