PDA

View Full Version : Is there need for a separate Auction Item Discussion section?

sportscentury
05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
More and more, it seems like folks mistakenly post threads about ongoing auctions in the General Discussion section. As such, I'm wondering if we need a separate section for Auction Item Discussion. Seems like it would be easier to just consolidate the two. Just throwing this out there for discussion and to see what others' thoughts are (it's not my intention to tell Chris/Eric how to run GUF, that is for sure). The main issue I see is that the threads in the Auction Item Discussion section get far less traffic (which I imagine is one of the reasons why some people prefer to post their auction inquiries in the main discussion section). Thoughts?

mattmueller
05-23-2009, 07:38 AM
I had a different thought, perhaps it would be nice to have a different section for all the off topic threads that get started that have nothing to do with game used items. Lakers series, Manny being Manny, Hall of Fame credentials, MLB transactions, game highlights, steroids, vacation photos, Joel Alpert - love him or hate him, ... are all general discussion topics, but not related to game used items in my opinion. All fine to discuss, but maybe in a different section to keep the clutter down.

To the original question, if used correctly I think there is a good reason to have the auction section, just up to people to put only questions related to auction items there. No different than people putting "wanted" items in the classified section.

FastLane80
05-23-2009, 10:55 AM
New sections:

Manny being Manny

Why Lou Lampson Sucks

Ok now joking aside maybe add a section for auction/dealer/member/ebay user reviews, opinions and complaints.

sportscentury
05-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I had a different thought, perhaps it would be nice to have a different section for all the off topic threads that get started that have nothing to do with game used items. Lakers series, Manny being Manny, Hall of Fame credentials, MLB transactions, game highlights, steroids, vacation photos, Joel Alpert - love him or hate him, ... are all general discussion topics, but not related to game used items in my opinion. All fine to discuss, but maybe in a different section to keep the clutter down.

To the original question, if used correctly I think there is a good reason to have the auction section, just up to people to put only questions related to auction items there. No different than people putting "wanted" items in the classified section.

Matt, I think we agree, in a sense. If the sections were used properly (as they had been long ago), I'd advocate keeping them, as well [again, not that I presume to have any say in this matter whatsoever - just a discussion topic]. But the sections have become muddied by mistakenly placed threads and have lost their separate definitions (have you seen the heated debate about Vick's future in the Auction Item Discussion?). I agree with you entirely that the OT threads don't seem to fit in the Game Used Discussion section (not that I don't enjoy reading many of them). The Moderators are simply not able to keep track of all of the GUU traffic and happenings, so I thought consolidating the sections would relieve them of switching threads to their appropriate sections (a practice they used to do regularly, but I think they have given up on because there are simply too many mistakenly placed threads to keep up).

Again, just some thoughts. At the end of the day, I'm happy to have whatever format the GUU Mods see fit.

sportscentury
05-23-2009, 11:40 AM
New sections:

Manny being Manny

Why Lou Lampson Sucks

Ok now joking aside maybe add a section for auction/dealer/member/ebay user reviews, opinions and complaints.

You are kidding, but the suggestion to have an entire section on Lou Lampson has been raised before (and not as a joke!). There have been times -- typically right after a new auction catalog of items Lampson has authenticated has come out -- when the vast majority of threads are about the Lampman.

both-teams-played-hard
05-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I think a lot of threads get lost in the storm. Folks don't search "new posts" but rather search "game used discussion" only. A lot of good threads in the "vintage memorabilia" category are overlooked.
The idea of an off-topic category is a good one. However, it may become the only category that anyone reads. I really wish there were no off topic posts. When I read other's opinions on politics, it makes me dislike half of the membership. I admit, I have indulged in off-topic threads, but I never inhaled.:cool:

stkmtimo
05-23-2009, 11:56 PM
When I read other's opinions on politics, it makes me dislike half of the membership. I admit, I have indulged in off-topic threads, but I never inhaled.:cool:

OT: Hey, that sounds like a certain ex-President. I had to...sorry! :)

Tim

sportscentury
05-24-2009, 12:43 AM
I think a lot of threads get lost in the storm. Folks don't search "new posts" but rather search "game used discussion" only. A lot of good threads in the "vintage memorabilia" category are overlooked.

Agreed. I think this is part of the reason why folks post threads about ongoing auctions in the Game Used Discussion section. They don't want their threads to be overlooked in the appropriate Auction Item Discussion section. Why some post general topics in the auciton item section, though, is a mystery.

chakes89
05-24-2009, 02:06 AM
How about some type of place to leave feedback for deals made using the board?

Other boards have this feature and I feel that it would be a nice addition to this site

sportscentury
05-24-2009, 09:50 AM
How about some type of place to leave feedback for deals made using the board?

Other boards have this feature and I feel that it would be a nice addition to this site

Yes, other boards have this and it has worked well for them (from what I've seen).

Actually, the way this thread is going, it might point to the need for a section on suggestions and ideas for GUU (not exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread, but as long as the thread is useful, so be it).

suicide_squeeze
05-24-2009, 08:26 PM
My suggestion...

"New GUU forum policies:

Stick your thread in the right category. If you fail to do so, the following penalties apply:

a) 50 hour suspension for the first violation
b) 100 hour suspension for the second violation

That ought to clean things up a bit....:p