PDA

View Full Version : Sand Knit Indiana State Basketball Jersey

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 09:19 AM
I recently viewed an Indiana State basketball jersey from the last 1970's with a Sand Knit tag. The jersey appears to be dureen like. However, I have seen some pics of Larry Bird as a Freshman and Sophomore which shoes the jersey he was wearing to be a mesh like material with the little holes throughout the jersey. I am interested to hear if anyone has head of a Sand Knit Indiana State basketball jersey from the Bird era. I was emailed pics and I would be willing to share them.

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I recently viewed an Indiana State basketball jersey from the last 1970's with a Sand Knit tag. The jersey appears to be dureen like. However, I have seen some pics of Larry Bird as a Freshman and Sophomore which shoes the jersey he was wearing to be a mesh like material with the little holes throughout the jersey. I am interested to hear if anyone has head of a Sand Knit Indiana State basketball jersey from the Bird era. I was emailed pics and I would be willing to share them.

Sorry for the spelling errors as I did not read the post before I submitted it.:confused:

LEGEND33
05-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I have ISU game used jersey in my collection (player Leroy Staley) Bird era.

is pic # 533

http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33 (http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33)

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 11:01 AM
I have ISU game used jersey in my collection (player Leroy Staley) Bird era.

is pic # 533

http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33 (http://community.webshots.com/user/converse33)

Thank You. Both of your jerseys are mesh like. The one I have is white and it is mesh. I am trying to figure out if they wore non mesh sand knit white away jerseys during their National Finalist season.

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Sorry the one I am researching is not mesh. 33, are you a big Bird fan? If so you have to see the jersey I am referring to.

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I believe the jersey to possibly be the one Larry Bird is wearing in this picture vs. SIU as it is the only pic I have which appears they are not wearing mesh jerseys. I have yet to date the photo though.782

LEGEND33
05-06-2006, 12:41 PM
where i can view the jersey?

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I will post pics soon. I bought the jersey from a well known dentist from Minnesota. He wrote a letter saying he received it from a fishing buddy of Bird's as they all 3 spent time together at the Hulman family lake (Hulman Center is the name of the ISU basketball court). The buddy who Bird gave the jersey to was a member of the Hulman family who Bird liked to fish with. Since he was not a big sports fan, he gave it to his buddy who then had the jersey auto'd by Bird in 1980 while they were all out fishing together. Pics will follow.

sportsgameused
05-06-2006, 02:26 PM
pics

jdr3
05-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Here is a photo of Bird from the 1978 NIT program that shows him wearing a very similar jersey.

sportsgameused
05-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Thank you for the picture. I can't tell if that jersey he is wearing is mesh or not but the number and letter placement looks similar. I just ordered an 11x14 SIU cover Blow Up from the National Finalist Season as I believe the color in that picture will show if my jersey is his home jersey from that year.

Also, I have seen Majic Johnson's Michigan State jersey sell through a national auction house for $20,000+ How do Bird's prices compare to Magic's.

Also this jersey is a classic example of the debate on whether an auto is good or bad for a jersey. I feel that since this jersey was signed with such a nice looking auto back in 1980, that the auto makes the item better. Just my opinion.

Any other input from anybody would be great. If anyone has photo matches to this jersey, I would be interested in purchasing them.

both-teams-played-hard
05-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Do you have proof positive that this WASN'T worn by Bird. Size 42 is a very likely size for Bird in the late 70s. Don't forget Dr. J wore a size 40 at the same time for the Sixers. I have never seen an Indiana State photo of Bird wearing mesh. The previously posted ISU Bird photos are ALL wearing knit. This is tagged, lettered and numbered like a gamer. The autograph looks nice.

both-teams-played-hard
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
KNIT
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/both-teams-played-hard/birdisu.jpg

LEGEND33
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Is this the jersey posted on ebay on ebay weeks ago ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8780623168&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

the seller told me:

"It was on framed display at the Hulman Center (Terre Haute, Indiana) in 1979."

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Exact Same jersey! Question is......why did it not get the minimum bid the first time around? And if you hit the relisted button, the guy who bid that time did not pay b/c the jersey was then sold to me one the previous bidder backed out.

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Do you have proof positive that this WASN'T worn by Bird. Size 42 is a very likely size for Bird in the late 70s. Don't forget Dr. J wore a size 40 at the same time for the Sixers. I have never seen an Indiana State photo of Bird wearing mesh. The previously posted ISU Bird photos are ALL wearing knit. This is tagged, lettered and numbered like a gamer. The autograph looks nice.

No proof it wasn't worn! Actually, the letter I received with the jersey written by the former friend of the Hulman family who had Bird sign the jersey in 1980 says amongst the letter: "I am not a sports jersey expert so I cannot guarantee that this jersey was worn in actual game play by Larry Bird, even though I was originally told that he made have worn it." (by the person who gave the Dr. the jersey) I believe the jersey to be game worn and maybe even the exact jersey pictured in all 3 of these photos. I am waiting for my blowup SI cover to arrive so I can look for the indention you see on the left front 3 of the jersey and the couple loose threads sticking out.

Both teams played hard, if this is the jersey depicted in some of the photos shown, what do you believe the auction house's could get for it? Close to the $20,000-$25,000 grand the Magic Johnson MSU jersey sold for in a major auction house? Not that I want to sell it being an MVC fan.

Eric
05-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Is this the jersey posted on ebay on ebay weeks ago ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8780623168&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

the seller told me:

FYI
It looks like when this was originally sold here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27269&item=8794137446
The winning bidder, who is listed as no longer an ebay regsitered user, is a suspended user of this forum.

Eric

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Don't hold that against me.

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I can't believe all the people who bid and then passed on the jersey if it is as legit as it appears to be.

sportsgameused
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
[quote=LEGEND33]Is this the jersey posted on ebay on ebay weeks ago ?

the seller told me:

Was there a reason you were not interested in owning the jersey? Did you think the bids would go higher or something?

sportsgameused
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
FYI
It looks like when this was originally sold here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27269&item=8794137446
The winning bidder, who is listed as no longer an ebay regsitered user, is a suspended user of this forum.

Eric

It has been brought to my attention by Eric that multiple users on this site have emailed him with "proof" that I am banned member David A. I absolutely know him, I absolutely have used his scans to help me find out more about the jerseys, and we have both used this same computer. If your "proof" is that you received an email from David on the same IP address, keep in mind that people can share a computer!

What is most interesting about this situation is that a few of the posts in question which no doubt led Pujols "experts" to email Eric and claim I am him - the posts themselves were never answered. What is there to hide? Especially in regards to the Pujols jersey. I did not question the individual.

I understand that you guys don't like David b/c he has returned the way you guys have acted to him. You guys know exactly what you did to add fuel to the fire.

Even more so, nothing has been done to Eric and others for libel and for the drop in price in comparison to past sales of Game Used Staubach and Bradshaw jerseys.

From a grown man to other grown men.......do you have nothing better to do than to email Eric trying to prove I am who you wish I was? Or trying to get me banned even though I have done nothing wrong but for asking simple questions which were never answered by the previous seller so far?

If you guys would like to contact him rather than spend your days worrying about who is whom....David is available at YOUNGJERSEYCOLLECTOR@HOTMAIL.COM. I am available at sportsgameused@hotmail.com. That would be much easier than spending your time trying to prove what you are trying to prove to the moderator so you can win a kids game and get me kicked off this site. Why do you care so much?

Eric
05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
It has been brought to my attention by Eric that multiple users on this site have emailed him with "proof" that I am banned member David A. I absolutely know him, I absolutely have used his scans to help me find out more about the jerseys, and we have both used this same computer. If your "proof" is that you received an email from David on the same IP address, keep in mind that people can share a computer!

What is most interesting about this situation is that a few of the posts in question which no doubt led Pujols "experts" to email Eric and claim I am him - the posts themselves were never answered. What is there to hide? Especially in regards to the Pujols jersey. I did not question the individual.

I understand that you guys don't like David b/c he has returned the way you guys have acted to him. You guys know exactly what you did to add fuel to the fire.

Even more so, nothing has been done to Eric and others for libel and for the drop in price in comparison to past sales of Game Used Staubach and Bradshaw jerseys.

From a grown man to other grown men.......do you have nothing better to do than to email Eric trying to prove I am who you wish I was? Or trying to get me banned even though I have done nothing wrong but for asking simple questions which were never answered by the previous seller so far?

If you guys would like to contact him rather than spend your days worrying about who is whom....David is available at YOUNGJERSEYCOLLECTOR@HOTMAIL.COM. I am available at sportsgameused@hotmail.com. That would be much easier than spending your time trying to prove what you are trying to prove to the moderator so you can win a kids game and get me kicked off this site. Why do you care so much?

Do not post anything on David's behalf. He was suspended for breaking the rules of the board and in response he kept signing up under false names and continuing his accusatory threads. At this point he is again trying to manipulate the system, and I will not let that happen.

Eric

both-teams-played-hard
05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
From a grown man to other grown men...[/QUOTE]

Who? Where?

trsent
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
From a grown man to other grown men...

Who? Where?

Funny that you point out that line.

I have found quite a few of my business associates are not reading the forum as they used to because they feel that too many children and $100.00 jersey buyers are filling up the board with useless information.

I keep reminding them that there are quite a few mature buyers on this forum who read but do not post...

Eric
05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I have found quite a few of my business associates are not reading the forum as they used to because they feel that too many children and $100.00 jersey buyers are filling up the board with useless information.

That is unfortunate that you would say that.

I am of the belief that there is a lot of good info on the board. I learn a few things every day.

Eric

trsent
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
That is unfortunate that you would say that.

I am of the belief that there is a lot of good info on the board. I learn a few things every day.

Eric

Eric, I am just stating what I hear from associates when I speak to them on the phone.

In fact, after this post I was on the phone with a regular of the forum who said basically what I posted without even reading it.

both-teams-played-hard
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
THIS IS REFRESHED FROM MONTHS AGO.

Who gave the Bird to Grey Flannel?

Eric
08-11-2006, 05:07 PM
It's a different jersey-

Here's the one from ebay

Eric
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Here's the one in Grey Flannel

ISUbirdjersey
08-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I would trade mine for theirs in a heartbeat though. I think that's the Final 4 worn Bird jersey.