PDA

View Full Version : Nice win Lakers! long series?

dodgersfan
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
What a nice opening game to the Western Confrence Finals!
I say Lakers in 6.
What do you guys think?

Rudy

cordovacollector
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Does George Mikan still play for the Lakers? :rolleyes:

sportscentury
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I say Lakers in 6.
What do you guys think?

Rudy

Pretty difficult home win. Should be a good, long series. If the Lakers win this series, they are going to be spent by the time they get to the Finals. If the Cavs walk over the Magic like they did with Detroit and Atlanta, this could be a problem for LA.

Melo's Olympic experience seems to have really changed him. Terrific defensive performance. It's like watching a completely different player this season.

I hope the Cavs/Magic series will be as exciting as I anticipate the Lakers/Nuggets series to be. The first two Cavs series were pretty boring - LeBron was simply too darn good. I'm not sure we'll see anything as good as the Celts/Bulls series, though. Now that was incredible.

mr.miracle
05-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I say Lakers in 6.
What do you guys think?

Rudy

You know it brother, Lakers in 6

both-teams-played-hard
05-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I say Lakers in 6.
What do you guys think?

Rudy

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5731/lakerflag.jpg

I guess that the Lakers are 7 games from a championship so it's safe to put up a Laker flag. Laker fans are some bandwagon jumping folks. Fashionably late and leave the game fashionably early. The stands at Staples are unlit, so you can't see nor be seen. Some Laker fans are true, but most are fake phonies who come out of the woodwork in late April. If the Lakers play bad, then their fans are crickets and tumbleweeds. However, I agree the Lakers will win. And, all of a sudden, it will be cool again to be a "life-long" Laker fan.:)

tkweinstein
05-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Does anyone know if the Lakers are selling any of their game used items from this season? My brother-in-law lives in Pasedena and is a die-hard Lakers fan and my wife is looking to get him something Lakers related for Father's Day.

sportscentury
05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know if the Lakers are selling any of their game used items from this season? My brother-in-law lives in Pasedena and is a die-hard Lakers fan and my wife is looking to get him something Lakers related for Father's Day.

I believe MeiGray will get their jerseys from the Finals, if they can beat the Nuggets (I think the series will be close). As for regular season items, if you want to email me at rgf2@hotmail.com I can put you in touch with a couple of folks.

AWA85
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
The NBA is still going on??? :eek:

dodgersfan
05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
In my opinion the Nuggets have the most tattoos I have ever seen on 1 team.
I looked like they just got out of a tattoo convention next door at the L.A convention center.

Rudy

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/87859758.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19375C05EF07E24E8D65B52A014666EAE32 E30A760B0D811297

tkweinstein
05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I believe MeiGray will get their jerseys from the Finals, if they can beat the Nuggets (I think the series will be close). As for regular season items, if you want to email me at rgf2@hotmail.com I can put you in touch with a couple of folks.

Thank you, I sent you an e-mail.

-Tom

sox83cubs84
05-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Nothing against the Lakers...I'm a Phil Jackson fan from his days with the Bulls dynasty...but I'm hoping for a Cavs-Nuggets NBA Finals, in order to see some really fresh faces in the World Series of the NBA.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sportscentury
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Nothing against the Lakers...I'm a Phil Jackson fan from his days with the Bulls dynasty...but I'm hoping for a Cavs-Nuggets NBA Finals, in order to see some really fresh faces in the World Series of the NBA.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave,

You may get your wish. All four remaining teams are exciting ... no matter what the match-up, I expect the series to be good. These are the four best teams in the NBA (though only because KG is out), and it's nice to see the best teams meet each other at the end. I can't wait to see if the Magic can challenge the King and his teammates tonight.

Reid

dodgersfan
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
The raitings would suck big time!
If the Lakers get knocked out Iam done with the NBA for 08-09 season.

Rudy

Dave M.
Chicago area

sportscentury
05-20-2009, 04:18 PM

Rudy

As a basketball fan, I'm far more interested in a series being competitive and exciting than I am with TV ratings. The Lakers may pull it out, but I continue to be amazed at how much trouble they're having in some of their games. I certainly didn't expect them to lose two games to the Rockets without Yao, McGrady, and Dikembe (and three games to the Rockets total). And they came close to losing at home again last night. The players around Kobe are overrated (Pau, Odom, Fisher, etc.). Pau may be the most overrated player in the game. He's a good player, no doubt, but you just never know if he's going to show up and play hard for 48 minutes. Kobe will have to carry the team on his back, just as he did last year in the playoffs. I'm not saying he can't do it, mind you, as there is little Kobe can't do. It has to take a lot out of him as games and time pass, though. Tomorrow night's game is critical. If the Lakers can come out and dominate, it will set the tone for rest of the series. Last night's game certainly did not send much of a message to the Nuggets (other than the Nuggets have a shot).

sox83cubs84
05-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Rudy
You don't think LeBron would bring in at least some viewers (assuming Game 1 against Orlando was an aberration and not the outcome of the series)?

Dave M.
Chicago area

dodgersfan
05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I think he would bring some raitings,Iam just saying there is no way I would watch anymore NBA the rest of the year if my Lakers got bounced.
Dave,Can I switch up a little and ask you in your opinion who is a better player at this point of the season? Kobe or Lebron?

Rudy

You don't think LeBron would bring in at least some viewers (assuming Game 1 against Orlando was an aberration and not the outcome of the series)?

Dave M.
Chicago area

sportscentury
05-21-2009, 11:11 PM
All tied up. This has been, and is likely going to continue to be, a truly great series.

dodgersfan
05-22-2009, 08:30 AM
No doubt about it Reid!

All tied up. This has been, and is likely going to continue to be, a truly great series.

sox83cubs84
05-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I think he would bring some raitings,Iam just saying there is no way I would watch anymore NBA the rest of the year if my Lakers got bounced.
Dave,Can I switch up a little and ask you in your opinion who is a better player at this point of the season? Kobe or Lebron?

Rudy
I'd probably give it to Kobe...barely...because he has 3 rings, and Lebron is trying to get his first. Still, either man, in any game, can put on a show unlike anything we've seen since MJ's prime. That question's answer could change from day-to-day, depending on what Kobe or King James has done recently to give their teams victory.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sportscentury
05-22-2009, 10:46 PM
The Lakers/Nuggets series has some major competition. Have folks been watching the Cavs/Magic series? How about LBJ's game winner tonight? So sick.

reed1216
05-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Awesome game tonight and LeBron's buzzer beater was crazy!!! Definitely an instant classic!! I would not be at all surprised to see both of these series' go 7 games a piece.

I am also really impressed with Orlando. Keep in mind, they have gone the whole playoffs without their floor general and all star point guard, Jameer Nelson. If not for the heroics of James, Orlando's up 2-0 and going home. Don't be surprised if both the Nuggets and the Magic limp into the Finals. Great stuff!!!

both-teams-played-hard
05-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Awesome game tonight and LeBron's buzzer beater was crazy!!! Definitely an instant classic!! I would not be at all surprised to see both of these series' go 7 games a piece.

I am also really impressed with Orlando. Keep in mind, they have gone the whole playoffs without their floor general and all star point guard, Jameer Nelson. If not for the heroics of James, Orlando's up 2-0 and going home. Don't be surprised if both the Nuggets and the Magic limp into the Finals. Great stuff!!!
Birdman vs. Magic in the 21st century?

sox83cubs84
05-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd probably give it to Kobe...barely...because he has 3 rings, and Lebron is trying to get his first. Still, either man, in any game, can put on a show unlike anything we've seen since MJ's prime. That question's answer could change from day-to-day, depending on what Kobe or King James has done recently to give their teams victory.

Dave M.
Chicago area
As of today (Saturday), it's Lebron. Stay tuned, however...by the end of Lakers-Nuggets Game 3 it may be Kobe again. It reminds me of the early 1990s McDonald's commercial with MJ and Bird playing an outrageous game of H-O-R-S-E.:D

Dave M.
Chicago area

dodgersfan
05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
You were right Dave!
Kobe was clutch last night!
What a steal by Ariza once again.

Rudy

sportscentury
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
You were right Dave!
Kobe was clutch last night!
What a steal by Ariza once again.

Rudy

Yup, it was like deja vu. I love Karl, but that was not one of his best coaching moments.

The NBA Playoffs were terrific last year... but they have been even better this year. I don't think we could ask for two better Conference Finals series.

mbenga28
05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm still not understanding what Mark Jackson said last night that Gasol is the third best player in the series (Kobe and Melo obviously are the first two), shouldn't Billups be the third best?

sportscentury
05-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm still not understanding what Mark Jackson said last night that Gasol is the third best player in the series (Kobe and Melo obviously are the first two), shouldn't Billups be the third best?

I like Gasol, but he is NO Chauncey Billups. Billups is one of the most under-rated players in the NBA. And he is anything but soft. I didn't hear Jackson say that, but it doesn't surprise me. Between Van Gundy and Jackson, it's a clown show (I like them both, but they are way too loose with their comments and their petty shots at each other are tiring). Van Gundy said Kobe is the best Laker of all time the other night. Kobe is an absolute monster, no doubt, but the best Laker of all time? As Warren would say, puhleaaase. Gasol is definitely fourth best in the series, though.

both-teams-played-hard
05-25-2009, 12:18 AM
As Warren would say, puhleaaase. Gasol is definitely fourth best in the series, though.
Reid, I think you've misquoted me. That's OK though. That isn't my vernacular. I would say, "don't make no sense!". If you are speaking of another Warren, then please ignore me.
As for the Kobe v, BronBron thing. Hands down Kobe is better. Kobe has that killer instinct, Bron does not. I have followed Bron from jump, and I have always thought he was scared to be the goat. Bron is a fabulous player, but he needs to get more mean and nasty. I'd rather have Kobe take the last shot. Bron bites his nails, which means he thinks too much. But the refs like Kobe and Bron equally.

sportscentury
05-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Reid, I think you've misquoted me. That's OK though. That isn't my vernacular. I would say, "don't make no sense!". If you are speaking of another Warren, then please ignore me.
As for the Kobe v, BronBron thing. Hands down Kobe is better. Kobe has that killer instinct, Bron does not. I have followed Bron from jump, and I have always thought he was scared to be the goat. Bron is a fabulous player, but he needs to get more mean and nasty. I'd rather have Kobe take the last shot. Bron bites his nails, which means he thinks too much. But the refs like Kobe and Bron equally.

Warren, that don't make no sense.

dodgersfan
05-27-2009, 09:49 AM
The series in the East is over!

Lakers vs Orlando,Lakers in 5!
Kobe MVP and avg. 36.5 a game.

Rudy

Mr.3000
05-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Do or die tonight for LeBron and the Cavs.

I hope they pull it off but Orlando seems to have their number.

dodgersfan
05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
So far it's been a blow out!

Do or die tonight for LeBron and the Cavs.

I hope they pull it off but Orlando seems to have their number.

both-teams-played-hard
05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
So far it's been a blow out!
Damn dodgersfan, you jinx everybody!:)

sportscentury
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm in Denver, going to the game tomorrow night. Simply could not be more excited. I really like Denver, but I'll be pulling for the Lakers. Would love to be there when they close out the series (assuming they do, as I haven't counted the Nuggets out yet).

Missed the Cavs/Magic game tonight due to work. First playoff game I've missed this year. Sounds like LBJ was his usual stellar self.

xpress34
05-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm in Denver, going to the game tomorrow night. Simply could not be more excited. I really like Denver, but I'll be pulling for the Lakers. Would love to be there when they close out the series (assuming they do, as I haven't counted the Nuggets out yet).

Missed the Cavs/Magic game tonight due to work. First playoff game I've missed this year. Sounds like LBJ was his usual stellar self.

SC -

I just sent you an eMail. I live in Denver - well Thornton (N of Denver) actually.

Anyway, thought I'd see if you want to meet up while you're in my town...

- Chris

dodgersfan
05-29-2009, 10:05 PM
In 6!
Lakers the 2009 NBA champions!

Rudy

I say Lakers in 6.
What do you guys think?

Rudy

Mr.3000
05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Looks like it's going to be Lakers -vs- Magic. Unless Lebron and the Cavs can pull off a miracle.

xpress34
05-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Although I'm not a Basketball guy (Baseball is my thing), I do live in Denver.

A tip of my cap to the Lakers.

- Chris

dodgersfan
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Chris,the Nuggets played awesome basketball.
They are going to be a tough team for years to come.

Rudy

Although I'm not a Basketball guy (Baseball is my thing), I do live in Denver.

A tip of my cap to the Lakers.

- Chris

sportscentury
05-29-2009, 11:35 PM
The game was terrific. Kobe was ridiculous.

Many thanks to you, Chris, for your kindness ... a raincheck for sure!

mr.miracle
05-30-2009, 12:39 AM
You know it brother, Lakers in 6

I think I called this one too. I figured that the Rockets series served as a wake-up call to this team. Make no mistake this Nuggets team is loaded and this was a very, very difficult series. Most likely, if this team had taken care of business against Houston in 5 like they should have, we would not have seen all of the negative press on the Lakers failure to close teams out.

After their failure to seal the deal last year against the Celtics, I will be absolutely shocked if this team does not beat either the Magic or Cavs no matter who they face. At least they get a few days off now after about four weeks of playing every other night.

dodgersfan
05-30-2009, 11:22 PM
My prediction will be the Lakers in 5!
What do you guys think?
I want to hear all of your predictions.

Rudy

sportscentury
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Most of the analysts are picking the Lakers in 6. I think they have a decent shot at taking it in 4 or 5, though. If Pau and Bynam can eliminate Dwight's dominance in the post (which I believe is possible), that will be the series. The Lakers have better perimeter defense than the Cavs, so the Hedo/Rashard effect may not carry the same weight. The Magic are a strong team, but the Lakers are peaking, and they are an overall more talented team with the best player in basketball (I still can't quite give it to LeBron, as impressive as he is). The Lakers' domination of the Nuggets in Denver last night was astounding. Barkley picked the Magic to win the series in 7, but I just don't see it. Lakers in 6 at the outside.

mr.miracle
05-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Most of the analysts are picking the Lakers in 6. I think they have a decent shot at taking it in 4 or 5, though. If Pau and Bynam can eliminate Dwight's dominance in the post (which I believe is possible), that will be the series. The Lakers have better perimeter defense than the Cavs, so the Hedo/Rashard effect may not carry the same weight. The Magic are a strong team, but the Lakers are peaking, and they are an overall more talented team with the best player in basketball (I still can't quite give it to LeBron, as impressive as he is). The Lakers' domination of the Nuggets in Denver last night was astounding. Barkley picked the Magic to win the series in 7, but I just don't see it. Lakers in 6 at the outside.

Agreed Reid, All excellent points. Plus no Jameer Nelson this time around. Since the Lakers were able to minimize somewhat the overall influence of Billups they certainly should not have major problems against Alston. I agree Lakers in 5 or 6 tops.

dodgersfan
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I say the Lakers win tonight 114-107!
Lets go Lakers!

Rudy

suicide_squeeze
06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Kobe is focused......he means serious business. He has a monkey he needs to get off his back, and winning this series....decisively, is first at hand.

I think the big news in this series starting tonight, is the ease that Bynum basically "shut down" Mr. Superman Dwight Howard. He was almost a non-factor in the game.

And if that continues, it's gonna be a short series. :)

Personally, I don't think the Magic have a chance in hell.

sportscentury
06-05-2009, 12:05 AM
I think the big news in this series starting tonight, is the ease that Bynum basically "shut down" Mr. Superman Dwight Howard. He was almost a non-factor in the game.

He had a little help. Without Gasol and Odom, the low post match-up and results would have been very different. Make no mistake, DH is way better than Bynum. All three guys were on DH's back from start to finish.

sox83cubs84
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Lakers 100, Magic 75.

Zen Master, your table is ready, and Red will be your waiter.

Dave M.
Chicago area

dodgersfan
06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
I still think the Lakers do it 5 games!
I think they will win tonight 106-100 then lose game #4 and then win it on the road in game 5.
The streets of L.A have been nuts after every Laker victory,people blowing their horns and lighting fireworks.

Rudy

What do you guys think?

Rudy

both-teams-played-hard
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I think they will win tonight 106-100 then lose game #4 and then win it on the road in game 5.
The streets of L.A have been nuts after every Laker victory,people blowing their horns and lighting fireworks.

...and breaking windows, shooting handguns, starting fires. You gotta love the passion of true sports fans.

dodgersfan
06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
LoL,you are so right!
I live near Whittier and Olympic Blvd. here in Los Angeles and these Laker fans are not that bright!
Do you live here in L.A also?

Rudy

...and breaking windows, shooting handguns, starting fires. You gotta love the passion of true sports fans.

both-teams-played-hard
06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
LoL,you are so right!
I live near Whittier and Olympic Blvd. here in Los Angeles and these Laker fans are not that bright!
Do you live here in L.A also?

Yes. Hancock Park. Angelenos are a little bit crazy, regardless of the time of year.:)

mr.miracle
06-09-2009, 08:55 PM

BTPH:

I thought that only happened in Detroit where they literally burn down half the city and riot whenever the Pistons/Tigers/Red Wings win. In fact, given that the Pistons won in 04, the Tigers a couple of years back and the Red Wings last year and perhaps again this year, there is not much of the city still left standing.

both-teams-played-hard
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
BTPH:

I thought that only happened in Detroit where they literally burn down half the city and riot whenever the Pistons/Tigers/Red Wings win. In fact, given that the Pistons won in 04, the Tigers a couple of years back and the Red Wings last year and perhaps again this year, there is not much of the city still left standing.
There are only problems with fans in cities that have liquor stores.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3285/lakerriots.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5479/lakerriots2.jpg

cordovacollector
06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
... koooooo-beeeeee ...

dodgersfan
06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Wow!
I was way off yesterday.
The Lakers have to win at least 1 in Orlando.

Rudy

Rudy

sportscentury
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Any predictions for tomorrow night? I'd love to see the Magic tie it up. However, I predict a strong win for the Lakers (105-90).

dodgersfan
06-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I say Lakers 107 Magic 101 (game 4)
Lets go Lakers!

Rudy

Any predictions for tomorrow night? I'd love to see the Magic tie it up. However, I predict a strong win for the Lakers (105-90).

mbenga28
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm going with the few and say Orlando will tie this up tonight.

Thus far, who would you consider as Finals MVPs for each respective teams?

dodgersfan
06-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Kobe and Howard in my opinion.
Kobe lights it up for 35+ pts tonight.

Rudy

I'm going with the few and say Orlando will tie this up tonight.

Thus far, who would you consider as Finals MVPs for each respective teams?

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Rudy

Rudy, you would pick Howard over Lewis for the Magic? I don't see that at all. Howard stunk it up in both of the first two games. He scored just one measly bucket in Game 1. I am a DH12 fan all the way, but he is not the Magic's MVP thus far. Definitely Rashard Lewis, though he's had his shaky moments, too. For the Lakers, and for the Finals overall, the clear MVP is Kobe. When a player's worst performance includes the numbers that Kobe put up in Game 3, you know you're talking about a serious baller.

mbenga28
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree with sportscentury. I still don't understand why Kobe was criticized for the play when he lost the ball near the conclusion of Game 3, Gasol recovered it and should have called a timeout instead to preserve the possession.

dodgersfan
06-11-2009, 11:20 PM
WOW!
What a game!
Howard and Turk. chocked big time!

Rudy

Rudy

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Lakers 99, Magic 91. The Magic made the mistake of letting it go to OT again ... they just don't have the experience or poise to finish. I was hoping for more of a series. I predict the Lakers close it out in Game 5. The Magic were just horrible in the third quarter. Started the quarter up by 12, finished it down by 4. Brutal.

dodgersfan
06-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Was that a sick game or what!
Here in L.A I can see and hear all the fireworks in the city.

Rudy

Lakers 99, Magic 91. The Magic made the mistake of letting it go to OT again ... they just don't have the experience or poise to finish. I was hoping for more of a series. I predict the Lakers close it out in Game 5. The Magic were just horrible in the third quarter. Started the quarter up by 12, finished it down by 4. Brutal.

schubert1970
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I hate the Lakers. God, I hate them.........

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
WOW!
What a game!
Howard and Turk. chocked big time!

Rudy

Howard has been terribly disappointing in this series. He's had one good game out of the four. Superman? Of course, Shaq's Magic were swept in his first Finals by the Rockets ... so maybe this is the NBA's version of Superman hazing. Still, Shaq had to deal with the Dream, one of the best 1s in NBA history (many would still rank him above Shaqopotamus). I know Dwight has his hands full ... but I was still expecting more from him.

dodgersfan
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Why is that?
Laker hater?

Rudy

suicide_squeeze
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Derek Fischer.......NOTHIN BUT NET!!!.........BABY!!!

suicide_squeeze
06-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Even if I misspelled his name......DEREK FISHER......the VETERAN!!!!

suicide_squeeze
06-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Bill??

WHADDUP??? You hate the Lakers??

HOW can you hate the LAKERS??

That's like being a baseball fan and hating the Yankees....

Even though you may have them wayyyy down on your "favorite" list, you can't be a baseball fan and totally "hate" the Yankees......the team Babe and Lou and Joe and Mickey played for??

So if you like basketball.....you CAN'T be a LAKER HATER???

Lakers and Celtics, BABY.....that's basketball ROYALTY!!:cool:

B1SON
06-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I have one word for you......FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

suicide_squeeze
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Howard has been terribly disappointing in this series. He's had one good game out of the four. Superman? Of course, Shaq's Magic were swept in his first Finals by the Rockets ... so maybe this is the NBA's version of Superman hazing. Still, Shaq had to deal with the Dream, one of the best 1s in NBA history (many would still rank him above Shaqopotamus). I know Dwight has his hands full ... but I was still expecting more from him.

sportscentury......let's speak frankly here....

Orlando is a "substitute" this year. They don't belong in the finals.

As soon as we all heard one of the three amigos was down for the year and it looked like the Laker/Celtics rematch was going down the tubes, the only other team that would have made this more interesting of a finals would have been Cleveland.

That didn't happen either.

So we're left with this series, which has actually been better than I thought it would be. Nail-biter games......two overtimes (first time in 25 years in a finals).

But it's over. It's highly unlikely this series comes back to L.A.

But we WILL be laying out the banners for the PARADE!!!!!!!!!!:D

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:38 PM
HOW can you hate the LAKERS??

That's like being a baseball fan and hating the Yankees....

Even though you may have them wayyyy down on your "favorite" list, you can't be a baseball fan and totally "hate" the Yankees

Haven't heard this one before.

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Ice in his veins. Reminded me of Robert Horry.

suicide_squeeze
06-11-2009, 11:42 PM

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!!

Now.....game 5? The deciding game? LAMAR ODOM will be the hero....that's my prediction. The second most deserving guy on the team, with special mention to Pao.....check that.....they ALL deserve cudos!!

Ariza was on FIRE tonight......he LIT UP his old team that traded him away......the way it should be. Sticking the knife in the team that DUMPS you is always a career definer....:D

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:43 PM

As soon as we all heard one of the three amigos was down for the year and it looked like the Laker/Celtics rematch was going down the tubes, the only other team that would have made this more interesting of a finals would have been Cleveland.

So we're left with this series, which has actually been better than I thought it would be. Nail-biter games......two overtimes (first time in 25 years in a finals).

Could not disagree more. Not sure what Playoffs you're watching. The Magic is a very strong team. They could just as easily be up 3-1 over the Lakers. They let games 2 and 4 slip away. Except for game 1, these games could not be more competitive or more closely fought. They are not as good as the Lakers, but the difference between the two teams is not that great. There are a lot of Laker fans who would agree with this in a heartbeat ... they know that the Lakers are fighting hard for these wins. Game 1 was a joke, but Kobe and company are fighting for and earning the others. There's some real talk for you, Suicide.

mr.miracle
06-11-2009, 11:47 PM

Suicide, I would have loved to see a rematch from last year with a completely healthy Boston and completely healthy LA. Granted, Garnett would pose the exact same problems as last year but having a completely healthy Ariza and Bynum might have turned the tides, in fact, I think it would have been a completely different series this year. That being said, I don't honestly know that Boston even healthy gets out of the East as they barely got through Cleveland last year and even though Cleveland was a horrible matchup with Orlando, I don't necessarily think they are a horrible matchup against Boston. Nobody on Boston can slow down LeBron including the Truth Paul Pierce. Ray Allan is ready for the retirement home Cleveland would not have been so horribly exposed with all that crazy outside shooting even though Allan, Garnett and Pierce can all hit the 3.

Anyway, we will never know. I am not too sure that the Celtics window has not closed as well as they are aging quickly at several key positions and they have absolutely no depth off the bench. Oh, I forgot, they do have Starbury.

Good win by the Lakers but the Magic fans are already screaming about fouls and non calls etc. Why does that no surprise me.

mr.miracle
06-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Ice in his veins. Reminded me of Robert Horry.

I miss Big Shot Rob :(

mr.miracle
06-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Please for god sake, do not suspend Pietrus. I want everyone to be at full strength when they play in game 5. They are already debating that final play of the game.

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I miss Big Shot Rob :(

The Fonzie of the NBA. The "Master of Non-Panic." The guy was money and he didn't even know it (or something like that). Yeah, he was fun to watch.

sportscentury
06-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Please for god sake, do not suspend Pietrus. I want everyone to be at full strength when they play in game 5. They are already debating that final play of the game.

That was a cheap shot. There's a little Dahntay Jones in Pietrus, I'm afraid.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 12:04 AM
That was a cheap shot. There's a little Dahntay Jones in Pietrus, I'm afraid.

Agree Reid, I just hate it when teams don't play at full strength which give their fans an excuse to complain when they lose. Of course if the player was not cheap shoting to begin with then they would not be in that position in the first place.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 12:07 AM
The Fonzie of the NBA. The "Master of Non-Panic." The guy was money and he didn't even know it (or something like that). Yeah, he was fun to watch.

Big Shot Rob was just on the Dan Patrich show the other day for a nice interview. Dan asked him after all the game winning 3's he hit beginning in 95 in his first year in the league when he finally missed a game winner in the playoffs a couple of years back he said he could not believe it. I remember that game and personally could not believe it myself. He just kept knocking down the 3's time after time in the playoffs. The most clutch shooter in the history of the NBA playoffs.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Too bad there isn't a way to combine the two NBA Finals threads. Joba's and Rudy's threads are parallel universes.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 12:51 AM
So, does this one go back to LA or does it end in Orlando. I think Phil had it right on when he mentioned Indiana in 2000 when the Lakers went up 3-1 and got crushed in game 5. That was a different time but only two guys on this team Bryant and Fisher were playing then. Hopefully the can get the other players up to end this thing and celebrate in Orlando on the Magic's own home floor. Since all the local bars moved back last call to 3 am, we could see the magic fans burn down the city and the Magic Kingdom once their team gets sent home empty handed.

I am sure that the Magic will not role over and give up. Expect a tough close out game at this point.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 01:17 AM
So, does this one go back to LA or does it end in Orlando. I think Phil had it right on when he mentioned Indiana in 2000 when the Lakers went up 3-1 and got crushed in game 5. That was a different time but only two guys on this team Bryant and Fisher were playing then. Hopefully the can get the other players up to end this thing and celebrate in Orlando on the Magic's own home floor. Since all the local bars moved back last call to 3 am, we could see the magic fans burn down the city and the Magic Kingdom once their team gets sent home empty handed.

I am sure that the Magic will not role over and give up. Expect a tough close out game at this point.

I agree, but I think Kobe is so much more focused now than he was back then. He simply wants to choke every last breath out of his opponents. I think it will be close, and the Magic may squeeze another out, but I think Kobe and gang will execute the knockout blow. If it were up to me, I'd have the Magic win the next two, so we could see a 7-game series... but I'm not betting a dollar on that scenario.

mbenga28
06-12-2009, 07:39 AM

he should be suspended, smashing fists into Gasol's back. If Pau didn't hang on the rim, that could have been an injury.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ufpsgo.gif

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 07:55 AM
he should be suspended, smashing fists into Gasol's back. If Pau didn't hang on the rim, that could have been an injury.

I agree. The refs didn't help matters. The officiating really has been bad. I'm not sure how the refs missed that elbow that Jameer took from Kobe only moments before Pietrus' dirty shot. That is the kind of thing that could really frustrate a team as it sees its championship dreams slipping away on its home court. I'm not saying that it at all excuses Pietrus' foul, of course.

mbenga28
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
not just with the elbow but in general

"There were times he was out there cursing the refs out and they weren't calling technical fouls,'' Alston said of Kobe. "I would get ejected [for that], but they won't eject Kobe.''

I heard a couple of people talking on the train this morning that Gasol shouldn't have dunked the ball because the Lakers had the game in hand and he was rubbing it in. Your thoughts?

dodgersfan
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I want them to win it here in L.A,it would be nice.
If they come back to L.A by any chance I will buy the cheapest ticket in the house just to be there.

Rudy

What do you guys think?

Rudy

mbenga28
06-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Lakers should treat Game 5 as if it is Game 7, even though you have a 3-1 lead you cannot give the opposition any leverage to come back because anything can happen that could swing around the momentum of the series. I always think back to the Knicks Miami series in 1997 where the Knicks were up 3-1 in the series and in control then the brawl took place between JP Brown and Chuckie Ward and Miami came all the way back to win with all the player suspensions.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
not just with the elbow but in general

"There were times he was out there cursing the refs out and they weren't calling technical fouls,'' Alston said of Kobe. "I would get ejected [for that], but they won't eject Kobe.''

I heard a couple of people talking on the train this morning that Gasol shouldn't have dunked the ball because the Lakers had the game in hand and he was rubbing it in. Your thoughts?

That is just dumb. Perhaps Gasol should have pulled it back out and run out the clock but he was right in front of the rim. Certainly, I don't think a thought went through his heat in the moment about rubbing anything in.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM

I agree that this is a really bad play that could have resulted in a very serious injury. I guess I just get tired of this nonsense with the Ref's and the league throwing people out left and right and suspending players for plays that would have been enforced on the floor 20 plus years ago.

Again, not defending this play as it was really bad but just like everything else it will give the Magic another dumb excuse as to why they lost.

I keep hearing on all the blogs how the Celtics should be here in these finals. Get over it, injuries are part of the game and nothing is guarenteed. As Kobe continues to age and hits 31 later this year, it is safe to say with all the games he has played that he might start to experience some injuries that could deter the Lakers from making another run. It sucks and you don't want injuries to keep the best teams from winning but lets face it, the reason that the Bulls won 6, the Lakers three straight is staying largely healthy. There is some measure of luck involved with this of course but that is just the way it goes.

dodgersfan
06-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Typical crazy ass Lakers fans!
I heard this crap all night long,I live about less than a 2 minute drive from this nonsense.

Rudy

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Laker-Fans-Take-to-the-Streets-to-Celebrate-Game-4-Victory.html

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM

I hope these people were taking the train to school, because they need some education. Gasol would have been NUTS to not dunk that ball. The game was not clearly won at that point ... his dunk sealed it. Plus, it's the Finals... it's just instinct to grab the ball and dunk it. It's not like they were up by 10 with three seconds left.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
[/b]

That is just dumb. Perhaps Gasol should have pulled it back out and run out the clock but he was right in front of the rim. Certainly, I don't think a thought went through his heat in the moment about rubbing anything in.

Exactly. The only thing I disagree with is that he should have pulled back. He could feel the defender on his tail and his instinctively dunked it. If he had pulled back, he would not even have taken a second off of the clock. Pietrus was out for blood. Tim Legler this morning said that he had never seen such a malicious foul in the Playoffs. This is saying a lot, because Dahntay Jones and Rajon Rondo made some extremely dirty fouls this year alone.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Typical crazy ass Lakers fans!
I heard this crap all night long,I live about less than a 2 minute drive from this nonsense.

Rudy

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Laker-Fans-Take-to-the-Streets-to-Celebrate-Game-4-Victory.html

This is typical? Very sad. Disgusting, in fact.

dodgersfan
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Reid,these morons have nothing better else to do.
I agree with you that this is very sad and disgusting.
Imagine how these fans are going to get when the Lakers win their 15th championship.

Rudy

mbenga28
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't consider these people as fans, they're more of losers in life who have pent up aggression waiting to explode and they use these moments as golden opportunities to unleash their fury and destruction. I would like to know how many of these can name the full roster of this season's Lakers squad.

sportscentury, those I saw/heard on the train were actually grown men construction workers that fully display, with pride, the name of their unions stitched onto their clothing and decals on their helmets. I see them from time to time but they're mostly talking about football. I agree with your views, also had they tried to run out the clock and gotten fouled it's possible they might have only made one free throw or none at all so that was a prudent play by Gasol to dunk to basketball ensuring the two points.

I have to rewatch the game again, but was reading somewhere the Lakers did not take any free throws the entire fourth quarter and most of overtime up until the flagrant foul on Pietrus. Is this true?

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 01:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4253869

Looks like this is the end of the story on the Pietrus foul on Gasol. No further action will be taken!

sox83cubs84
06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
The Zen Master is tasting #10, and Red's spinning in his grave...I love it!:D :D

Dave M.
Chicago area

both-teams-played-hard
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
What you fail to understand, is that society has held these poor folks down. They are just young people looking to have a good time. People don't understand the pain and suffering of growing up in an inner-city. No one cares about these poor, lost souls. They simply want to express their love and enjoyment of basketball, their first love. Most of them may be 35 years old, but that doesn't matter. Their parents and teachers have given up on them. Society will not give these excited basketball fans a break. Now the biased media has put a spin on this story, to make these true Laker fans look like criminals. Do any of you understand that the establishment wants to keep these well-meaning sports-fans down? Leave the down-trodden Laker fans alone! I am sick and tired of folks being judged by their actions!

mbenga28
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
though I think the league should have suspended Pietrus, maybe a better punishment would be him leaving the floor looking over his shoulder the Lakers celebrating their 15th championship on his home court.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 01:50 PM
What you fail to understand, is that society has held these poor folks down. They are just young people looking to have a good time. People don't understand the pain and suffering of growing up in an inner-city. No one cares about these poor, lost souls. They simply want to express their love and enjoyment of basketball, their first love. Most of them may be 35 years old, but that doesn't matter. Their parents and teachers have given up on them. Society will not give these excited basketball fans a break. Now the biased media has put a spin on this story, to make these true Laker fans look like criminals. Do any of you understand that the establishment wants to keep these well-meaning sports-fans down? Leave the down-trodden Laker fans alone! I am sick and tired of folks being judged by their actions!

Good point Both Teams Packed Heat, nobody should be holding these people to a higher standard. After all, as Lakers fans they have had nothing to cheer for in the past 30 years. :rolleyes:

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
though I think the league should have suspended Pietrus, maybe a better punishment would be him leaving the floor looking over his shoulder the Lakers celebrating their 15th championship on his home court.

I think Pietrus should have to sit in the dunce chair at courtside and watch his team get dismantled in game 5.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Good point Both Teams Packed Heat, nobody should be holding these people to a higher standard. After all, as Lakers fans they have had nothing to cheer for in the past 30 years. :rolleyes:

BTPH, I take it all back! I'm sorry! Go criminals! Go scub bags!

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Pietrus should have to sit in the dunce chair at courtside and watch his team get dismantled in game 5.

While rather nutty, I admit this would be funny (and perhaps fitting). Too bad society (i.e., Stern) doesn't endorse more public shaming as a form of punishment. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt002.gif

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
The Zen Master is tasting #10, and Red's spinning in his grave...I love it!:D :D

Dave M.
Chicago area

Wow, Dave, you really (REALLY) hate Red.

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
BTPH, I take it all back! I'm sorry! Go criminals! Go scub bags!

Lets Go Scumb Bags, Lets Go!!! Lets Go Scumb Bags, Lets Go!!! I can hear the chants throughout the city limits of LA now.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Lets Go Scumb Bags, Lets Go!!! Lets Go Scumb Bags, Lets Go!!! I can hear the chants throughout the city limits of LA now.

What are these things you call "Scumb Bags"?

mr.miracle
06-12-2009, 07:18 PM
What are these things you call "Scumb Bags"?

It is something far worse than a scum bag, it is a horrible horrible scumb bag :rolleyes: Man, I can't spell today.

sportscentury
06-12-2009, 08:57 PM
It is something far worse than a scum bag, it is a horrible horrible scumb bag :rolleyes: Man, I can't spell today.

Brett, I was just kidding you. I had misspelled scum bag myself, inspiration credited to Rudy.

Man, I am going through withdrawal waiting for game 5. Without Olympic basketball this summer, it's going to be a particularly rough road for a while.

mbenga28
06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi sportscentury, please pardon this off topic query but after seeing your inscribed signed Redick photograph I'm curious to know what other fine basketball items you have in your collection and if you would consider posting some photos. Thank you.

rmsportsfan
06-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Leave Los Angeles before dusk on Sunday...... The "real Lakers fans" will be celebrating again....pathetic!

sportscentury
06-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi sportscentury, please pardon this off topic query but after seeing your inscribed signed Redick photograph I'm curious to know what other fine basketball items you have in your collection and if you would consider posting some photos. Thank you.

Mbenga, thanks for your interest. Please email me at rgf2@hotmail.com. I have a large collection of NBA game worn items of Hall of Fame-caliber players (Dirk Nowitzki, LeBron James, etc), as well as several Duke items. I'll let you know what I have and you can tell me what you'd like me to post.

mr.miracle
06-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Leave Los Angeles before dusk on Sunday...... The "real Lakers fans" will be celebrating again....pathetic!

Probably a good idea. I would get far, far from the city limits or it may get ugly.

both-teams-played-hard
06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Probably a good idea. I would get far, far from the city limits or it may get ugly.

Where in L.A. do you live?

mr.miracle
06-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Where in L.A. do you live?

I actually live on the East Coast in PA but speaking with friends who live in that area the last time the Lakers won they said run as fast as you can before they burn down the whole town.

both-teams-played-hard
06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I actually live on the East Coast in PA but speaking with friends who live in that area the last time the Lakers won they said run as fast as you can before they burn down the whole town.

That's cool. I've never seen you post about basketball, since the days of the original forum. I was just curious to where your vitriol against the Orlando Magic stems.

mr.miracle
06-13-2009, 02:05 PM
That's cool. I've never seen you post about basketball, since the days of the original forum. I was just curious to where your vitriol against the Orlando Magic stems.

Even though I live 100 miles from Philadelphia and about 100 miles from Washington in good old York, PA, I have been a lifelong Lakers fan going back into the late 70's when I first started watching basketball. No specific hatred or malice toward the Magic, they just happen to be standing in the way of another championship trophy and just really wanting the Lakers to get this title won this year. Obviously having lived through the Lakers Celtics rivalry of the 80's, I was very, very disappointed at last years outcome but was hoping for a rematch this year in the finals. Perhaps next year that might happen.

mbenga28
06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Mbenga, thanks for your interest. Please email me at rgf2@hotmail.com. I have a large collection of NBA game worn items of Hall of Fame-caliber players (Dirk Nowitzki, LeBron James, etc), as well as several Duke items. I'll let you know what I have and you can tell me what you'd like me to post.

That's an incredible collection sportscentury and it would be a privilege for me and the rest of the community to view your NBA acquisitions. Does your collection consist of all jerseys or other game used equipment as well? Thank you in advance for sharing.

dodgersfan
06-14-2009, 05:59 PM
My prediction for tonights game will be Lakers 110[ the Magic 106.
Kobe goes for 33 pts.
I will stick with my prediction of the Lakers winning it all in 5.
Enjoy the game my fellow GUF members!

Rudy

quote=dodgersfan;143578]My prediction will be the Lakers in 5!
What do you guys think?

Rudy[/quote]

suicide_squeeze
06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I've always heard it's a fools game to make predictions in a game like tonights (game 5).

I love a great foolish challenge.

Lakers by 15.......the game ending in pure "garbage" style since the Magic have no chance and will be outclassed.

Kobe scores 42, falls two rebounds short of a triple double.

Gasol.......18

Lamar.....13

Jackson's smile can be seen from coast to coast (Make that Boston to Los Angeles).....:p

sportscentury
06-14-2009, 07:46 PM
That's an incredible collection sportscentury and it would be a privilege for me and the rest of the community to view your NBA acquisitions. Does your collection consist of all jerseys or other game used equipment as well? Thank you in advance for sharing.

Mbenga, my collection can be summed up as NBA game worn superstar jerseys, NBA game worn superstar shoes, remaining Rickey Henderson game worn/signed items from when Rickey was a main focus, and some misc. MLB game worn items (e.g., Matsui World Series pants).

I have a few more Dirk Nowitzki's on the way, so I will wait for them to arrive and post a photo or two of the lot of them.

Enjoy the game tonight, GUUers. So far, it looks like it will be another great one. I think the Lakers will win, but am rooting for the Magic (still hoping for a 7-game series).

dodgersfan
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Great prediction so far,Lakers up 10 at the half!

Rudy

I've always heard it's a fools game to make predictions in a game like tonights (game 5).

I love a great foolish challenge.

Lakers by 15.......the game ending in pure "garbage" style since the Magic have no chance and will be outclassed.

Kobe scores 42, falls two rebounds short of a triple double.

Gasol.......18

Lamar.....13

Jackson's smile can be seen from coast to coast (Make that Boston to Los Angeles).....:p

suicide_squeeze
06-14-2009, 09:33 PM
dodgersfan Rudy.....

1:12 to go, Lakers by 11, and going to the freethrow line.

Garbage time for about three-four minutes now.

If Kobe hits one more 3-pointer before it's over.....you nailed his total!:cool:

ANOTHER LAKER BANNER WILL BE HANGING AT STAPLES.....:D

Mac670
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
World Champs Baby!!

mr.miracle
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
World Champs Baby!!

I have been waiting 1 year for this, actually seven years. As a Lakers fan, you never get over the losses, this one is extremely sweet!

suicide_squeeze
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
World Champs Baby!!

The PRIDE of Los Angeles.....

I hope my Dodgers can join them come October!:D

joelsabi
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
My prediction for tonights game will be Lakers 110[ the Magic 106.
Kobe goes for 33 pts.
I will stick with my prediction of the Lakers winning it all in 5.
Enjoy the game my fellow GUF members!

Rudy

quote=dodgersfan;143578]My prediction will be the Lakers in 5!
What do you guys think?

Rudy[/QUOTE]

close enough on the prediction. 10th championship and 2 more to go.

dodgersfan
06-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice!

Rudy

mr.miracle
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
With all apologies to the Colarado Avalanche, Mission 16 W, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!