PDA

View Full Version : Funny Grey Flannel story-Pippen jersey..

33bird
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
A few days ago GF put a Pippen 1998-99 game used Bulls jersey on their site for sale. I think for almost 3k. I emailed them and told them Pipp didn't play for the Bulls in 98-99-thinking they probably just messed up the years and really meant 97-98. Nope-it was gone the next day. Would they really not know that?

rose14
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
It's sad that they authenticate items for the NBA Hall of Fame.

hblakewolf
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
A few days ago GF put a Pippen 1998-99 game used Bulls jersey on their site for sale. I think for almost 3k. I emailed them and told them Pipp didn't play for the Bulls in 98-99-thinking they probably just messed up the years and really meant 97-98. Nope-it was gone the next day. Would they really not know that?

Greg-

Hard to believe such a mistake could be made by GF, based on the following information found on their home page:

"Grey Flannel was founded in 1989 in New York by Richard Russek and Andy Imperato. Grey Flannel, with their experience and expertise, has developed into the world's foremost authenticators and dealers of game-used jerseys. In 1994 GFC became the Official Appraisers and Authenticators for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame."

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Did anyone contact Grey Flannel to find out about the error?

I emailed them asking about the situation and received a nasty reply about their feelings about this web site that I cannot post on here.

quiggle28
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
if that is the case, is it possible the Hall of Fame has some dubious pieces on display?

jdr3
05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Anytime anyone mentions an auction house your automatic reply is "did anyone contact them." It should be obvious that if they had they would mention it.

both-teams-played-hard
05-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Some people love to have a field day with auction houses they do not like. Did anyone contact Grey Flannel to find out about the error?

I emailed them asking about the situation and received a nasty reply about their feelings about this web site that I cannot post on here.

Joel, the original poster says that he e-mailed GFC about the error.
You were e-mailed about the situation? You mean the situation where the official authenticators of the basketball hall of fame failed to do a google search of Pippen's stats?
If you can't post the nasty reply from an unknown person about his/her feelings of this website...then why mention it to begin with?

hblakewolf
05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Joel, the original poster says that he e-mailed GFC about the error.
You were e-mailed about the situation? You mean the situation where the official authenticators of the basketball hall of fame failed to do a google search of Pippen's stats?
If you can't post the nasty reply from an unknown person about his/her feelings of this website...then why mention it to begin with?
This fabricated drama is quite nauseating.

According to Greg's initial post, he sent the seller an email indicating the error , and as a result the jersey is no longer available the following day. Instead of sending a "thank you" or reply email to Greg, it's noted that the seller has displeasure with this site?

Simply classic!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

33bird
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I emailed them before I posted on here. They never emailed me back and explained the jersey. It just disappeared. I don't have a problem with GF. They have some great stuff and sometimes some dubious pieces. Like all places that sell: Do your own homework.

kingjammy24
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
it seems like an auction house's like or dislike of this site is in direct proportion to the amount of screwups they make. historic auctions has blocked linking to their site from GUF. robert edwards auctions, on the other hand, has publically praised GUF and links to it on their site.

somehow the "official authenticator for the basketball hall of fame" can't even bothered to look up a roster yet it's this site that's the problem? what do GFC's feelings about this site have to do with them screwing up?

what richie is likely upset at is that his screwups are made public; that he's held accountable for his shoddy work. victor of AMI is probably none too happy about his consigners coming here and discussing how they haven't been paid in months and are forced to take legal action to get paid. i'm sure both would rather such info be kept quiet. it's like a scooby doo episode with a guy at the end shaking his fist and saying "i would've gotten away with it if not for you kids!"

rudy.

hblakewolf
05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
it seems like an auction house's like or dislike of this site is in direct proportion to the amount of screwups they make. historic auctions has blocked linking to their site from GUF. robert edwards auctions, on the other hand, has publically praised GUF and links to it on their site.

somehow the "official authenticator for the basketball hall of fame" can't even bothered to look up a roster yet it's this site that's the problem? what do GFC's feelings about this site have to do with them screwing up?

what richie is likely upset at is that his screwups are made public; that he's held accountable for his shoddy work. victor of AMI is probably none too happy about his consigners coming here and discussing how they haven't been paid in months and are forced to take legal action to get paid. i'm sure both would rather such info be kept quiet. it's like a scooby doo episode with a guy at the end shaking his fist and saying "i would've gotten away with it if not for you kids!"

rudy.

Rudy-
No doubt, you're referencing one of the best and most appropriate Scooby episodes ever:

The Ghost That Sacked the Quarterback

http://www.scoobydooweloveyou.com/rambling.jpg

While attending a Hawk's football game, Flash Granger, is kidnapped right off the field. When in his place is a mysterious ghost, all the players better watch out because they may be the

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

trsent
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
[quote=jdr3;140551]Anytime anyone mentions an auction house your automatic reply is "did anyone contact them." It should be obvious that if they had they would mention it. quote]

I emailed Grey Flannel asking for a comment, and they sent me a reply insulting Chris Cavalier that I will not post on here.

I didn't say anyone had to email Grey Flannel - look at my original post - I just ask if anyone contacted Grey Flannel to ask about the post. When I contacted them I received a reply that I will not post on here for it is insulting to the forum.

Sorry this is so insulting --- I just asked if anyone had contacted them over the error. I tried to help

Now - Did anyone find Grey Flannel to have done anything wrong but they misidentified an error (who knows why?) that maybe they missed or maybe they just don't want to support a web site owned by Chris Cavalier so they ignore questions that come from his members?

rose14
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
If you would have read the OP's first post you would have understood that he contacted Grey Flannel and only after that did they take down the Pippen jersey.

The OP was making a general comment.

trsent
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Joel, why is it you have to chime in with your same old cliche that you use. If you would have actually read the OP's first post you would have understood that he contacted Grey Flannel and only after that did they take down the Pippen jersey.

The OP was making a general comment. How do you know he doesn't like Grey Flannel as you suggest?

What are you talking about.

I was just wondering if anyone had communicated with Grey Flannel about the error before Howard Wolf and the same people who always want to put Grey Flannel down comment about their status as authenticator for The Basketball Hall of Fame and other comments that always come whenever the same people find an issue with anything Grey Flannel.

Did I defend them? No. Did I harass anyone? No. I asked if anyone had emailed them. I just asked. I didn't say anyone did anything wrong - I asked a question because when I emailed them asking for a comment I was given the following reply:

"I do not read the forums anymore. it is complete propaganda for Chris Cavalier to make money."

jdr3
05-15-2009, 04:14 PM
---

trsent
05-15-2009, 04:16 PM
[

--

sportscentury
05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Darn. Looks like I missed another winner.

(P.S. Mike, have a great, hassle-free weekend!)

otismalibu
05-15-2009, 06:10 PM
http://www.thefunzanoon.com/uploaded_images/rodeoShoes-786324.jpg

rose14
05-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Joel, the whole problem is the holier than though attitude that you sometimes show on here.

The original poster made a comment that he contacted the auction house about an item that they had for sale on their website that was incorrect. The auction house took down the listing after they were contacted. Now whether it was a typo or they just didn't do their homework we will never know.

I have purchased many of items from this auction house and I still bid in thier auctions. I also won one specific item that was identified wrong and wasn't even close in how they identified it. It was a minor league jersey and It would have taken just a couple of minutes to research and get the item right. It cost them because it would have probably sold for alot more money if it had been properly identified. I think any auction house that is in such a rush to sell something without doing just a litte research is open for criticism. I can understand with competing auction houses not thinking to highly of this board when it can effect their bottom line when they auction questionable items.

I know for a fact that one auction house in particular was very upset when Chris started holding auctions as he felt it was a conflict of interest. The way I look at it is that if the items your auctioning are legit and identified correctly then you should not have a problem with this board. If auction houses would use some of the info of some of the posters on here they would probably benefit themselves and the hobby.

rose14
05-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Sorry for all of the typos. Wish it would allow you to edit.

trsent
05-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Rose14 - I do not know why Grey Flannel does not wish to work with members of this forum. I know they have suspended bidding privileges from some members who they feel have attacked their auction house. I know they have insulted and ignored some members who they feel have attacked them.

I stated that if I missed that the original post stated they emailed Grey Flannel, sorry, but I asked if anyone had emailed them as my email was sent the reply I previously posted.

I asked because I thought maybe someone else got an answer from them and the flood gates opened and I have no clue why. I didn't cite any issues, I just wanted to know if anyone else had emailed them.

Then again, right after the first post - There were people attacking Grey Flannel over this issue which we may never know if it was an error, typo whatever and maybe the brass in The Hamptons feels it is none of our business.

suicide_squeeze
05-17-2009, 12:51 PM
if that is the case, is it possible the Hall of Fame has some dubious pieces on display?

Are you kidding??

I've been to the NBA Hall....it's awesome.

My favorite piece is the 1974 Magic Johnson Lakers jersey....it's just gorgeous.:rolleyes:

suicide_squeeze
05-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Rose14 - I do not know why Grey Flannel does not wish to work with members of this forum. I know they have suspended bidding privileges from some members who they feel have attacked their auction house. I know they have insulted and ignored some members who they feel have attacked them.

Joel,

Let's have a serious, open, honest conversation for just a moment. No hidden agenda's, no questions about if someone emailed whomever, no taking a stand..... let's just stick to what we know.

Grey Flannel is in the auction business of sports memorabilia.

They are a for-profit business.

They are shown to be less than capable in their field of expertise, time and time again, by posting members of this site.

This site is here, and created for the benefit of the collecting community, to better the experience we all have as active members of the hobby.

We protect ourselves and our fellow collectors by sharing information that new and lesser knowledgeable collectors may otherwise not have the means to learn.....this is a valuable venue.

So with all of these facts in mind, why would Grey Flanel have a problem with guys who have grown tired of the same old carelessness on their part, listing items absolutely incorect in facts, selling items with visual proof posted here that CAN'T be real, others claiming to be something they are not, again, backed up by discussions on this site?......I could go on and on.

It has reached the point where some of us have passed the questioning-the-listings point, passed the how-could-they-have-missed-that point, passed the point of giving them any benefit of doubt.

We, Joel, realize they just don't give a hoot about the collector, or removing them from their hard earned cash. We understand that they are just trying to make money, and as an ongoing business concern in a FOR-profit business, we are now past the ANGRY point of watching them practice their unprofessional unskilled business of listing questionable items proven to be other than what they are represented as, and therefore we mention it here.

And that upsets them? Golly Wally....

How in the world, as an adult, as a sophisticated collector, can you dare take a moment to even begin to argue with the members here on this matter?

We demand they do a better job in THEIR EXPERTISE in THEIR business. That's all Joel! We expect them to at least have the BASIC understanding of what it is they are selling.

And I will say....IN MY OPINION....that they live and die on their premise of "Authentication is really just a matter of opinion" to the point it has become insulting to some of us who feel there is a little more to it than just an opinion.

I am one (as most of you know) who has had my bidding privilages taken away. I tried to contact Richard Russek himself to straighten things out. I left a message with T.J., personally, on the phone.......yes, I was able to reach them ON the PHONE.

Do you think I ever received a phone call back, Joel? Let me end the suspense.....I did not.

Is that the type of professional organization you want to continue to support Joel? They have no intentions of acting in a professional manner. It's easier for them to sidestep their "errors" (and I'll say that is a nice compromise of words on my part) and say something derrogatory about Chris Cavalier, and the responsible intelligent no-nonsence members of this forum who are doing their part to clean up the hobby.

In fact, what this forum represents, Joel, is a thorn that keeps puncturing the pustual blister that keeps entering our hobby from all directions. We have to stand up for ourselves, Joel. Because the entities that want to seperate us from our money won't. It's been proven right here over and over and over again.

Now, please.....let me know if I have mistated any facts. If so, I'll be the first to retract them.

jdr3
05-17-2009, 04:48 PM
The man makes many good points, Joel.

mvandor
05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
The man makes many good points, Joel.

Gotta agree. Of course, I'm also one of the suspended ones.

jdr3
05-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Someone's silence is deafening.

trsent
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Someone's silence is deafening.

Hey - I am on vacation just catching up on the forum now. Sorry I can't log in every minute for you to take a cheap shot at me because if you looked you would have seen I had not logged into the forum since Saturday until right now.

trsent
05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Joel,

Let's have a serious, open, honest conversation for just a moment. No hidden agenda's, no questions about if someone emailed whomever, no taking a stand..... let's just stick to what we know.

Grey Flannel is in the auction business of sports memorabilia.

They are a for-profit business.

They are shown to be less than capable in their field of expertise, time and time again, by posting members of this site.

This site is here, and created for the benefit of the collecting community, to better the experience we all have as active members of the hobby.

We protect ourselves and our fellow collectors by sharing information that new and lesser knowledgeable collectors may otherwise not have the means to learn.....this is a valuable venue.

So with all of these facts in mind, why would Grey Flanel have a problem with guys who have grown tired of the same old carelessness on their part, listing items absolutely incorect in facts, selling items with visual proof posted here that CAN'T be real, others claiming to be something they are not, again, backed up by discussions on this site?......I could go on and on.

It has reached the point where some of us have passed the questioning-the-listings point, passed the how-could-they-have-missed-that point, passed the point of giving them any benefit of doubt.

We, Joel, realize they just don't give a hoot about the collector, or removing them from their hard earned cash. We understand that they are just trying to make money, and as an ongoing business concern in a FOR-profit business, we are now past the ANGRY point of watching them practice their unprofessional unskilled business of listing questionable items proven to be other than what they are represented as, and therefore we mention it here.

And that upsets them? Golly Wally....

How in the world, as an adult, as a sophisticated collector, can you dare take a moment to even begin to argue with the members here on this matter?

We demand they do a better job in THEIR EXPERTISE in THEIR business. That's all Joel! We expect them to at least have the BASIC understanding of what it is they are selling.

And I will say....IN MY OPINION....that they live and die on their premise of "Authentication is really just a matter of opinion" to the point it has become insulting to some of us who feel there is a little more to it than just an opinion.

I am one (as most of you know) who has had my bidding privilages taken away. I tried to contact Richard Russek himself to straighten things out. I left a message with T.J., personally, on the phone.......yes, I was able to reach them ON the PHONE.

Do you think I ever received a phone call back, Joel? Let me end the suspense.....I did not.

Is that the type of professional organization you want to continue to support Joel? They have no intentions of acting in a professional manner. It's easier for them to sidestep their "errors" (and I'll say that is a nice compromise of words on my part) and say something derrogatory about Chris Cavalier, and the responsible intelligent no-nonsence members of this forum who are doing their part to clean up the hobby.

In fact, what this forum represents, Joel, is a thorn that keeps puncturing the pustual blister that keeps entering our hobby from all directions. We have to stand up for ourselves, Joel. Because the entities that want to seperate us from our money won't. It's been proven right here over and over and over again.

Now, please.....let me know if I have mistated any facts. If so, I'll be the first to retract them.

So, if Grey Flannel takes a stance that they will not communicate with collectors they find to be abusive from this forum, you want me to tell you that you can assume they are intentionally making errors trying to defraud the public?

I believe Grey Flannel, like many other old timers, are old school and they think their poop doesn't smell. It is great findings on here about errors they may or may not have made. Then again, they also feel that many on here are abusive and one sided so they have stopped responding to us as a group. See the last email I received - They don't even want to talk to me about concerns from this forum anymore.

So, what do you want me to say? You think finding a few issues from the last auction that you can say they make a high number of errors? Not every concern by this forum was found to be correct but many were, even if Grey Flannel didn't admit it since the items were missing.

The Scottie Pippen jersey in the original question - No one knows if that was a typing error or what since they ignored all questions about it - I tried to get an answer, I was told since this web site is an auction house and for sale site they are not responding to concerns from it anymore.

Did I like that reply? Of course not. I was hoping to continue to work as a buffer between us and them, but too many people like the guy who thinks I have to read this forum on vacation (St. Louis is very nice) and my not replying means I am ignoring the discussion but I am not.

What makes me sad is I am on the same side of truth, justice and the American way as the members of this forum. I just like to use a human approach and not a no trial, no jury approach to every concern.

Keep up the good work!

mvandor
05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I was told since this web site is an auction house and for sale site they are not responding to concerns from it anymore.

I must say that when GUU opened their auction house doors and became a competitor to the others, I did fear this type of response from some as the forum could be viewed as the arm of a competitor rather than the independent entity it once was.

I sincerely hope other auction houses don't start cold shouldering us like GF as a result (although I bellieve Historic and others already had an attitude even before GUU went auction house).