PDA

View Full Version : Mets jersey tagging question

Mr.3000
05-13-2009, 11:52 PM
An 05 Mets home jersey. Is it proper to only have a wash tag and no year tag? I have a chance to pick one up that is only tagged with the jersey size and a 0062 tag.

Any useful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Metsfan808
05-14-2009, 07:24 AM
From what I have been able to find out, Mets jerseys without the tags on them come from the in house stock of jerseys that Charlie Samuels (Mets Equipment manager) orders. When the jerseys are shipped from Majestic and customized by them, they have the year tags attached to them. Samuels orders extra blank jerseys that he keeps at the stadium in case a player is called up or a trade is made, because they do not know when or even if these jerseys will be used they do not have year tags on them sometimes. At different times during the year a player might need an extra jersey and Samuels will pull from his stock and have the jerseys customized locally, most of the time those jerseys do not have the year tags on them. I have seen several Mets jerseys that do not have the year tags on them, some have shown up in auctions with the mlb hologram. I guess the real question to ask is if it is coming from a reputable source.

I had a 2005 Piazza jersey with a MLB hologram and a Steiner COA that did not have the year tag at one point and I did a little investigating with the help of Russ Gompers (owner of Stitches) to find out why it would not have the year tag and that is what I was able to find out.

Mr.3000
05-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mets.

Yes, it's a repuatable source. And the jersey shows great use (i.e dirt). I was just curious about the difference in tagging and your explanation was great. Thank you! :D

suave1477
05-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Mr. 3000 ask TNT he is the Mets Jersey expert.

Mr.3000
05-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks Suave, will do.