PDA

View Full Version : Griffey pants, good deal, real, steal?

justinwc80
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Ok, so I've been watching this item on the Hunts Auction internet auction, I was the only bidder which surprised me. I found a picture that seems to photo match the pants perfectly. Am I missing something or did I get a great deal? All opinions appreciated. Notice knee and holes for laces. Thanks guys as always.

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Ok, so I've been watching this item on the Hunts Auction internet auction, I was the only bidder which surprised me. I found a picture that seems to photo match the pants perfectly. Am I missing something or did I get a great deal? All opinions appreciated. Notice knee and holes for laces. Thanks guys as always.

It's hard to say. How much did you pay?

joelsabi
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM

that patchwork on the left leg looks pretty distinct. is that wear and tear or a patchwork?

joelsabi
05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
It's hard to say. How much did you pay?

if hunt auction had the two image next each other i bet there would have been more bidders.

sportscentury
05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
that patchwork on the left leg looks pretty distinct. is that wear and tear or a patchwork?

Patchwork.

justinwc80
05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah I agree about the two pictures, It looks to me like a perfect match. I didn't bid until I found the getty images picture, and to be honest I was sure that someone would outbid me at the last second. It never happened and I got the pants at the $100 initial bid. Any expert opinions? I didn't realize that teams would patch to that extent and the player would keep using it. But the picture seems to prove that.

sportscentury
05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah I agree about the two pictures, It looks to me like a perfect match. I didn't bid until I found the getty images picture, and to be honest I was sure that someone would outbid me at the last second. It never happened and I got the pants at the $100 initial bid. Any expert opinions? I didn't realize that teams would patch to that extent and the player would keep using it. But the picture seems to prove that.

This kind of patchwork is very common. I have Hideki Matsui's 2003 World Series pants (photomatched) that have this patchwork below the one knee and on the back thigh. The Yankees didn't even give him new pants for the World Series. It is that common a practice.

As for your photos, I think you may have a match, but you'll want to blow the photos up to be sure. Patchwork in this area of the leg is not unusual due to patterned sliding by players.

As for your price, it was a good deal without the photomatch. If you nail down the photomatch, you have yourself a great deal. Congrats.

yanks12025
05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Sports,
Are you the thrid or second owner of those Matsui pants because i noticed when they were first listed on ebay they sold for $49 or something and i just missed buying them, then they were at $999 and now $2,999.

sportscentury
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Sports,
Are you the thrid or second owner of those Matsui pants because i noticed when they were first listed on ebay they sold for $49 or something and i just missed buying them, then they were at $999 and now $2,999.

Brock,

Wow, you have really been following this pair of pants closely! I snagged them for the $49 Buy-It-Now soon after they were listed on eBay. Just got lucky to have run a search right after they were listed. The seller is a Steiner authorized dealer and had just received a boat load of stuff from Steiner. He was moving a lot of it on eBay for low BIN prices (at least IMO). I then photomatched the pants to regular seasons games and listed the pants for $999. A few days later, I photomatched them to both the Playoffs and World Series, so I raised the price. An unbelievable pair of pants that was clearly worn by Matsui in numerous games throughout his MLB rookie season, including throughout the Playoffs and World Series.

Thanks for asking.
Reid