PDA

View Full Version : OT: Statman loses it

joelsabi
05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone watching the celtic againt magic game right now? Some statman kinda lost it and walked off the telecast. he told reggie miller to get the stats himself and said he is "tired of working with you pretty boys", speaking of miller and marv albert. or did i just imagine this. this was right before half time.

emann
05-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Anyone watching the celtic againt magic game right now? Some statman kinda lost it and walked off the telecast. he told reggie miller to get the stats himself and said he is "tired of working with you pretty boys", speaking of miller and marv albert. or did i just imagine this. this was right before half time.

It was a skit they planned and pre-taped...

Another amazing 4th quarter game for the Celts!

joelsabi
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
It was a skit they planned and pre-taped...

Another amazing 4th quarter game for the Celts!

lol. anything for ratings. i just flipped to that station when it happened, didnt know what made him flip out.

jobathenut
05-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Oh,please bring back the old days,when it was about the game and nothing else.Now the announcers are part of the game and need thier camera time now.I get really tired of this inmature nature that sports on tv is going to.It's like 3 year olds are producing the telecast's now,and that's not to insult 3 year olds.I mean seriously,please stop making yourself part of the entertainment,the game is suppose to be that.I guess i'm just too old,but i watch sports on tv to watch the game and don't even want to know who the announcers are,don't need to even see them.I don't care what's on anyones blackberry and don't ever need to contact them,just announce the game.:mad:

godwulf
05-13-2009, 10:55 AM
When the game is not going so well for the home team - which has been happening quite a lot, lately - the t.v. announcers seem to forget that there's even a game going on. The "banter" and personal asides replace any focus on the game almost all together, and it gets so bad that I have been known to Mute the t.v. I know that Mark Grace is a very popular guy and a "player's player" and all that, but when he and Darren Sutton start trying to be comedians instead of broadcasters, it's just equal parts infuriating and nauseating.

And while we're ragging on the media, I am waiting earnestly for some bimbo (male or female) with a mike, running onto the field and getting into the faces of the celebrating players (after a championship or other big win) to get decked, kicked in the butt, or royally chewed out on live t.v. and told to get the Hell away till the team is ready to talk with them.

Luis Gonzalez recently said that his biggest regret in his entire Baseball career was letting himself be pulled away for interviews, as the Diamondbacks were celebrating their World Series win in '01. Rather than just being satisfied with photographing the celebrating players, the media now demands to interview them IMMEDIATELY after the victory, and it's high time the players just said "Hell, no!"

both-teams-played-hard
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
When the game is not going so well for the home team - which has been happening quite a lot, lately - the t.v. announcers seem to forget that there's even a game going on. The "banter" and personal asides replace any focus on the game almost all together, and it gets so bad that I have been known to Mute the t.v. I know that Mark Grace is a very popular guy and a "player's player" and all that, but when he and Darren Sutton start trying to be comedians instead of broadcasters, it's just equal parts infuriating and nauseating.

And while we're ragging on the media, I am waiting earnestly for some bimbo (male or female) with a mike, running onto the field and getting into the faces of the celebrating players (after a championship or other big win) to get decked, kicked in the butt, or royally chewed out on live t.v. and told to get the Hell away till the team is ready to talk with them.

Luis Gonzalez recently said that his biggest regret in his entire Baseball career was letting himself be pulled away for interviews, as the Diamondbacks were celebrating their World Series win in '01. Rather than just being satisfied with photographing the celebrating players, the media now demands to interview them IMMEDIATELY after the victory, and it's high time the players just said "Hell, no!"

Agreed. What in depth sound byte are these so-called journalists looking for?
Just fill-in-the-blank:
I'm really proud of the way our guys hung in there.

We were really on our game.

We came to play.

We brought our A-game.

We took them out of their game.

We knew what we had to do and went out and did it.

We proved we're the better team.

We're tickled to death.

We're glad to get out of here with the "W".

They gave us a big scare.

It's tough to win in a hostile environment.

We're happy we could pull this one out at the end.

We feel fortunate.

We knew this would be no cakewalk.

It wasn't pretty but we'll take it.

We managed to eke out a win.

The important thing is that we won.

A win is a win.

This was a good win for us.

This was a confidence booster.

We're going to use this win as a building block.

We'll use this win as a stepping stone to the next level.

We're not going to rest on our laurels.

This win was no fluke.

We finally got the monkey off our backs.

Everyone counted us out before the season started.

It was a hard-fought contest.

It was a total team effort.

I'm happy I could make a contribution.

I was just doing my job.

It was a workman-like effort.

We made our own breaks.

We played our hearts out.

We really took it to 'em.

We snatched victory out of the jaws of defeat.

This team has finally learned how to win.

We weren't going to just lie down.

We weren't going to just roll over.

We knew we had to defend our home turf.

This team always seems to find a way to win.

This team has overcome a lot of adversity.

This team shows a lot of character.

This team shows a lot of poise.

This team shows a lot of pride.

This team shows a lot of resiliency.

This team shows a lot of heart.

We're going to savor this victory.

This team has served notice.

We made a statement here today.

We sent a message here today.

This win is for all the fans.

Our fans were the 12th man today.

We feed off the energy of our fans.

This MVP award belongs to the whole team.

We've got the greatest fans in the world.

I want to thank my Lord and Savior.

It hasn't sunk in yet.

I'm in a state of shock.

I'm speechless.

We shocked the world.

You dream about this as a kid.

It feels great to be world champions. (It is very common for players to anoint themselves 'world champions' even if they compete in a league with only North American or American teams)

This is a dream come true.

This is the greatest feeling in the world.

After blowing-out the other team

They're tough competitors.

They're a class act.

Give them a lot of credit.
We beat a very good team today.
And of course, both teams played hard...

Nathan
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Jack Arute has almost been decked twice by coaches. Immediately after the 1998 Big XII title game that Kansas State lost in overtime, he ran up to Bill Snyder and asked if he could describe how disappointed he was; not getting a satisfactory answer, he continued to press questions in an aggressive manner.

The other time was 2003 Ohio State against Michigan. Michigan was rolling on offense; they got the ball back with about 15 seconds in the first half on their own 20 so they took a knee. Arute asked Lloyd Carr at halftime why he didn't try to go downfield; Carr look at him and asked, "Why the hell would you ask me a stupid question like that?" Arute asked the same question again, and Carr just looked at him with a bewildered look before walking away.

cordovacollector
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
BTPH ~

Thank you!!!! I am going to print this and put my TV on mute during interviews!!! I'm still laughing at this one!

And it sure makes you appreciate all the more the guys like Herb Carneal (a friend), Ernie Harwell, etc.