PDA

View Full Version : 310.00 To Ship One Baseball

sammy
05-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Not only do they charge you 60.00 to ship a baseball, they also charge you...........

"There is a $249.95 Processing Fee added to the winning bid due and payable to eDrop-Auction."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is basically 310.00 to ship this baseball.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280342405486 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280342405486)

xpress34
05-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Sammy -

What kind of crack are those guys smoking??? The ball would be nice to own a Ruth and Gehrig AU, but the Slaughter AU in SHARPIE and the other '50s autos kind of kill the ball - at least for me - and the fact it's not on a Reach or Spalding Official AL or NL Ball knocks it down too... but that 'fee' is INSANE!!!

It's kind of like my Mantle, DiMaggio Sutton Ball... I got the ball CHEAP for two reasons - one, it's a Little League Ball - two, Sutton signed the ball well after Mick and Joe and he signed it IN SHARPIE and inscribed it to Tim!

Mantle is on the SS and shows nicely - until I find a better single signed SS Mantle (I have one in my sights once I get my settlement from this accident!) - DiMaggio is on the Side Panel and is inscribed To Henrietta - Best Wishes - Joe DiMaggio April 24, 1967.

I picked the ball up for a whopping $107.00!

So what do you think this Ruth Gehrig ball with all of the other non period sigs will go for?

All the best -

Chris

gingi79
05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry, even the criminals at eBay have rules against this. I reported it and it will be removed. Sorry, F-U can't do that BUUUUBYE

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Sorry to say this gingi-but i can almost guarentee that ebay will NOT cancel this auction.They should,you're right,but they won't.And why?Because ebay gets a percent of the total price that it sells for.And if theres one thing ebay is all about-IT'S GREED.Heck ,it's the reason they went to paypal only,a company they own,as the only way you can pay on there.EBAY IS A JOKE!!!And that's why im doing a one man boycott of it:p
Sorry, even the criminals at eBay have rules against this. I reported it and it will be removed. Sorry, F-U can't do that BUUUUBYE

skinsfan0521
05-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Sorry to say this gingi-but i can almost guarentee that ebay will NOT cancel this auction.They should,you're right,but they won't.And why?Because ebay gets a percent of the total price that it sells for.And if theres one thing ebay is all about-IT'S GREED.Heck ,it's the reason they went to paypal only,a company they own,as the only way you can pay on there.EBAY IS A JOKE!!!And that's why im doing a one man boycott of it:p
They are greedy and you're right that they get a % of the final price, but they DON'T get any money from the shipping cost. That's why they now have new rules about excessive shipping charges. You used to be able to sell something for $0.01 and charge $200 shipping to avoid fees, but you can no longer do that because of eBay's greed.

Not saying that they're definitely going to remove it, but they really don't like people trying to avoid fees in any way.

xpress34
05-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I will GUARANTEE you that eBay will NOT stop the auction for three reasons:

1) Seller is a POWER SELLER
2) Seller is Top 5000 Reviewer (meaning they write on the guides, etc)
3) Seller's MAIN items for sale are homes and eBay makes BANK on every one of those they Sell

Just my .02

- Chris

trsent
05-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Everyone go to the bottom of the page, click "Report This Item" - "Listing Policy Violations" - "Circumvention of eBay fees" - "Other Attempts to Circumvent eBay fees" - Click Continue...

Then write a description: - I cut and paste - "There is a $249.95 Processing Fee added to the winning bid due and payable to eDrop-Auction."

earlywynnfan
05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Everyone go to the bottom of the page, click "Report This Item" - "Listing Policy Violations" - "Circumvention of eBay fees" - "Other Attempts to Circumvent eBay fees" - Click Continue...

Then write a description: - I cut and paste - "There is a $249.95 Processing Fee added to the winning bid due and payable to eDrop-Auction."

Done!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

mr.miracle
05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Done!

Ken

Done!

emann
05-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Done!

Done.

xpress34
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Done.

Done.

earlywynnfan
05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I got an email from ebay thanking me for reporting this, but I see it's still up.

Ken

corsairs22
05-10-2009, 03:16 PM
done that
Mark

jonincleve
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
anybody ask what the processing fee is for? i just sent an email. maybe that is a listing template for one of their real estate auctions and they forgot to remove it. i do that all the time when i list for work. i have a ups ground listing template and a freight listing template. sometimes i lose track of where i am at and criss-cross them. simple error to fix or they ARE trying to get around the fees. just a possible explanation.

take care
john

sammy
05-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I did check the seller's two real estate auctions before posting about the fee.

It is not in either real estate auction, just the baseball auction.

I also reported it to eBay before posting.

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
i'm sorry if i was wrong skins,i thought ebay gets the TOTAL price and that would include the shipping of it.:o
They are greedy and you're right that they get a % of the final price, but they DON'T get any money from the shipping cost. That's why they now have new rules about excessive shipping charges. You used to be able to sell something for $0.01 and charge $200 shipping to avoid fees, but you can no longer do that because of eBay's greed.

Not saying that they're definitely going to remove it, but they really don't like people trying to avoid fees in any way.

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
hey express-i said that first-no fair-just kidding.....But you gave the examples on why i don't think they will end it no matter how many of you report it.They will just send you thier form email reponsese thanking you for reporting it and that will be it.Greedbay only cares about the big store sellers and not the little sellers that made them.Man,i feel another ebay is a joke rant coming,don't get me started on ebay:p
I will GUARANTEE you that eBay will NOT stop the auction for three reasons:

1) Seller is a POWER SELLER
2) Seller is Top 5000 Reviewer (meaning they write on the guides, etc)
3) Seller's MAIN items for sale are homes and eBay makes BANK on every one of those they Sell

Just my .02

- Chris

Lokee
05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
not to mention Ebay/Paypal will get a cut of the 249.99 and the 60.00 for shipping.

earlywynnfan
05-10-2009, 08:42 PM
The seller replied to me that the $249 fee actually covers the PSA expenses. I think he'd be a lot better off incorporating that into the starting price!

Ken

skinsfan0521
05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd also like to point out that just because a user is a powerseller actually gives them no preference over a normal seller.

I'm a powerseller and I get auctions pulled from time to time because I'm linking to outside sites through my auction. The other reasons given for them not taking down the auction may be true, but the powerseller rating has nothing to do with it.

To be honest, they don't treat powersellers any better than they do normal members. I'm a Platinum powerseller which is like 2nd from the top and they don't give me any special treatment at all... at least IMO.

-Brian

jobathenut
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
That's what i thought lokee,and i even stated that,but skinsfan told me that ebay does'nt get any of the shipping for a item.:confused:
not to mention Ebay/Paypal will get a cut of the 249.99 and the 60.00 for shipping.

trsent
05-11-2009, 07:34 AM
A few things.

1. Being a PowerSeller doesn't mean you can break eBay rules. Geez, they hit me hard last week over a rule I didn't know of and I spend around $1000 - $2000 a month in fees with them. The Trust & Safety division doesn't like anyone who doesn't follow their rules.

For example - Last year I listed a 1986-1987 Fleer Basketball set with a Michael Jordan rookie. They ended the listing because they have a list at Trust & Safety that says all 1986-1987 Fleer Michael Jordan rookies must be 3rd party certified prior to listing (PSA, Beckett, etc.) so they remove my listing and make me grade the Jordan rookie.

I don't mind this policy, but I ask where it is listed in the rules of eBay. They tell me it was not listed, but Trust & Safety has a list that they use to follow this guideline. Funny - No public rule violation, but they still ended my listing.

2. eBay doesn't profit of shipping and handling fees. $60.00 to ship the ball? High, but they can get away with that. A $249.95 processing fee - That needed to be included in the opening price from the start - You cannot charge extra fees outside of shipping and handling on eBay.

My guess is the listing will be gone before Shawn (shout out to John from Cincinnati, a series canceled before we all knew what was going on.)

eisenreich8
05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Reported.

xpress34
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
This listing (280342405486) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

I find the comment about 'if it was removed by eBay, consider it cancelled', but it doesn't tell you if it was 'removed' or just 'no longer available'...

:rolleyes:

sammy
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
It is gone for now.

They will relist, but the 250.00 "PSA/DNA" fee will be incorporated into the price now, instead of being an additional fee on top of the bid and shipping.

Of course, if it is still 60.00 to ship one ball, I'll report it again.

jonincleve
05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
sammy just for arguments sake, say the ball sells for $5000 and gets sent registered mail in a priority flat rate box. the actual shipping amount would be $33.80 then you have the cost of labor and packing materials. where i work the post office will not come and pick up items so we have to send a guy to go and drive to the post office and stand in line to mail a package.

from a pure business perspective
$33.80 actual postage
$3.00 supplies, (explosion foam)
$15.00 for a guy to drive and stand in line at the post office 1/2hr

$51.80 total

it would be cheaper via ups, but in the past ups packages have not shown up or they deliver empty bat boxes so as a seller you want to be sure.

just as a side note i have no interest in bidding on the ball nor do i have any financial interest in it. i just wanted to give an example how that shipping price could be determined and how ebay would allow it to pass.

if i was to be a buyer i would call up and see if i could get it sent on my account or try to reduce my shipping costs as much as possible for my own risk level.

take care
john

34swtns
05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Ditto.

sammy
05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Well,

If that kind of price is acceptable, I'll be raising my rates to include time and materials too.

Would like to get paid for these also, and wasn't aware eBay allowed that.

It would help make up for the constant raise in fees.

jonincleve
05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
sammy, i hear you. what i really hate is people who say they are going to send it that way...charge a lot and then send it in a manilla envelope with no packing. there is always a fine line between being overly cautious and being ridiculous.
just so you know i do not agree with their shipping charge but wanted to show how they could figure it out and make a case to ebay. i would be willing to bet they would put it in a priority flat-rate box with delivery confirmation and make $40.00 on the shipping.
i do this stuff all day long and talk to our ebay rep at least once every 2 weeks. you should hear me complain to him about the changes ebay make. i am sure he loves talking to me.

take care
john

trsent
05-13-2009, 06:37 AM
sammy just for arguments sake, say the ball sells for $5000 and gets sent registered mail in a priority flat rate box. the actual shipping amount would be $33.80 then you have the cost of labor and packing materials. where i work the post office will not come and pick up items so we have to send a guy to go and drive to the post office and stand in line to mail a package.

from a pure business perspective
$33.80 actual postage
$3.00 supplies, (explosion foam)
$15.00 for a guy to drive and stand in line at the post office 1/2hr

$51.80 total

it would be cheaper via ups, but in the past ups packages have not shown up or they deliver empty bat boxes so as a seller you want to be sure.

just as a side note i have no interest in bidding on the ball nor do i have any financial interest in it. i just wanted to give an example how that shipping price could be determined and how eBay would allow it to pass.

if i was to be a buyer i would call up and see if i could get it sent on my account or try to reduce my shipping costs as much as possible for my own risk level.

take care
john

John, USPS Registered Mail to ship a $5000.00 baseball costs around $15 or so. You have to use special brown tape and you have to take the item to the post office itself to ship, but this is the cheapest method (and safest) of shipping a high insurance item via USPS.

Now, if you ship an item valued over $500.00 via USPS - You have to take the item to the post office to declare full insurance.

If you ship items $500 and under - You can go to usps.com and request a pick-up for pre-paid items at the post office has to pick your items up as it is a new service they have offered for a few years to promote US Mail shipping.

Go to -

usps.com
Click: Schedule a Pick-up
Click: Carrier Pick-up

They cannot tell you they will not pick-up from you. The USPS deliverers and picks up from everyone in the USA and their territories. If they refuse, they are being old school and go to their web site and file a complaint and they will make it right.

My local post office tried to pull shots on me and they failed miserably because they didn't want to conform to new USPS standards.

jonincleve
05-13-2009, 07:39 AM
joel, i hear what you are saying. in my example, i did not show the cheapest method to ship. i just showed a way in which they can get close to the $60 mark and make a case to ebay.

you are mistaken on the post office, they can refuse delivery/pick up in extreme cases or unsafe conditions. we have gone down that road with them in the past.

take care
john

trsent
05-13-2009, 08:23 AM
joel, i hear what you are saying. in my example, i did not show the cheapest method to ship. i just showed a way in which they can get close to the $60 mark and make a case to ebay.

you are mistaken on the post office, they can refuse delivery/pick up in extreme cases or unsafe conditions. we have gone down that road with them in the past.

take care
john

John, that sucks. They offer free pick-up service if you ship one package in your lot via Priority or Express Mail. That really sucks they find an excuse not to offer you such a service since they are a government organization that should be fair to all.