PDA

View Full Version : Researching Twins Pre-1987 jerseys

RJB44
05-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Hello –

I was hoping there might be some folks on the forum who have some knowledge on the Twins pre 1987 knit jerseys. I just started to focus some research on the jerseys, as I have picked up a couple. Perhaps I can get some feedback to the following:

What year did they transition from the full button down to the pullover (1976?)
Were the white and blue the only colors they wore between 1976-1986?
Was Wilson the only company providing Twins knits for that period?
Was it common practice for the Twins not to have names on the jersey during spring training?
It appears that 1978 was the first “season” that they began wearing names on the back.
Was 1986 the only “season” which they wore an additional patch on the right sleeve.

Also, regarding the hats, it seems there were not any guidelines in place for use of the certain color cap with certain jerseys. I have seen photos of players wearing both the red/blue and all blue caps with both the red and white knits? I have found that the yearbooks are a great source for information, but hopefully there may be some people (perhaps some Minnesotans) on board who can help wit additional info.

Thanks

sox83cubs84
05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Hello –

I was hoping there might be some folks on the forum who have some knowledge on the Twins pre 1987 knit jerseys. I just started to focus some research on the jerseys, as I have picked up a couple. Perhaps I can get some feedback to the following:

What year did they transition from the full button down to the pullover (1976?)
Were the white and blue the only colors they wore between 1976-1986?
Was Wilson the only company providing Twins knits for that period?
Was it common practice for the Twins not to have names on the jersey during spring training?
It appears that 1978 was the first “season” that they began wearing names on the back.
Was 1986 the only “season” which they wore an additional patch on the right sleeve.
Also, regarding the hats, it seems there were not any guidelines in place for use of the certain color cap with certain jerseys. I have seen photos of players wearing both the red/blue and all blue caps with both the red and white knits? I have found that the yearbooks are a great source for information, but hopefully there may be some people (perhaps some Minnesotans) on board who can help wit additional info.

Thanks
I'll try to answer the jersey-related questions:

1)Roads became pullover in 1973; home whites in 1974.
2)From 1972-86, the only jerseys colored other than white or powder blue worn by the Twins were the 1972 road greys. Likewise, the '72 roads were made by Spalding...all others from 72-86 were Wilson products.
3)NOBs were added in either 1977 or 1978 (would have to research this), although, given the Twins MLB-level massive uniform recycling, earlier jerseys may show NOBs due to multiple season usage.
4)I believe the team 25-year patch was the only right sleeve patch (1986) they wore.

Hope this helps.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sylbry
05-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Dave nailed it.

The only thing I would like to add is the 1972 road isn't really grey. It is more of a greyish-green and has a unique sleeve patch to that jersey only.

Regarding the caps, don't forget they also wore mesh caps during spring training.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Minnesota&lowYear=1972&highYear=1986&sort=year&increment=18

cordovacollector
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Bryan ~ You are absolutely right to mention that gawd-awful road jersey color!!! I remember the first time I won a bunch of the game-worn pants in an auction. They came shipped all crumpled and crushed together, and when I saw THAT color, I was sure the bloomin' careless seller had thrown them in the wash with a bottle of bleach, ruined them, dried them, threw 'em in a bag, and sold 'em to the first sucker he could find (me). When I learned the truth I was blushing almost as bad as the players that had to wear them.

RJB44
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, my research thus far indicates that the Twins did wear the old knit jerseys during spring training 1987, at least some players did. I know the 1987 yearbook talks about the transition, and the team picture shows them wearing the knit pants (with elastic waist) - although wearing BP jersys. They are also wearing new caps.

vonbrandingo
03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
RJB44, I'm not smart with uniforms, but is this the practice jersey, knit pants and new hat logo (as of 1987) that you mention? I'm trying to date and place the pic from this '88 "Broder Card" since I matched the bat to one of mine. Does this look like 1987 Spring Training?

Rod

RJB44
03-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Yes, that is the same Pants, Cap and Jersey worn by players in the team 1987 Spring Training team photo.

vonbrandingo
03-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Useful info. Thank you. Looks like now I have more proof that I overpaid.

JeffB
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
That photo of Puckett is definitely from Tinker Field in Orlando. The outfield wall backed up against the outside of the Citrus Bowl stadium and those girders are the underside of the football grandstands.

vonbrandingo
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM
That photo of Puckett is definitely from Tinker Field in Orlando. The outfield wall backed up against the outside of the Citrus Bowl stadium and those girders are the underside of the football grandstands.

I get more attached to this Puck bat the more I learn about it and everything related to it. This is awesome, thanks for the info.